1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Los Angeles area dealers?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Garsen, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Garsen

Garsen New Member

So: I did the math, looked at my commute, drove a Prius, and the decision is made: it will definitely be my next car and my SO is going to get one for her business, which entails tons of local driving. For you LA-area owners, is there one person or dealership you would recommend over any other? Think they'd give us a break for buying two at once given demand?

2. WeHoPriusGuy

WeHoPriusGuy New Member

I had a great experience with the people at Hollywood Toyota. My sales person was Stacey.

I just bought a Prius on Saturday after researching and shopping around for 2 months.

Before I went to Hollywood Toyota I went to 3 or 4 other places and they all had less in stock or they were very aggressive which turned me off from buying from them.

Stacey is nice and really knowledgeable on the Prius.

3. dgstan

dgstan Member

You could try Gary at Symes Toyota in Pasadena. That's where I got mine. Paid MSRP, got a fair deal on my trade, and was in and out in a couple hours. Call him and see what he's got on the lot. I think that since they're a somewhat smaller dealer, they tend to fly under that radar.

Long Beach Toyota has cars sometimes, although I found them a little sleazy back when they charged a premium (they don't now).

If you don't mind a drive, Chip Kipendorfer (sp?) or Mike Flores at Rancho Santa Margarita are good guys. I know they always have cars at MSRP. I was on their list until I found my baby at Symes.

Don't know about any quantity discount, but if they've got cars, I don't see why not - especially if it was near the end of the month.

DGStan

4. AngelFish

AngelFish New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We bought ours at Thousand Oaks Toyota. Paid msrp for them. We have not been back to that dealer in a VERY long time. Their service dept was not doing that great of a job on our cars.

I have been seeing a TON of them on the Toyota dealers lots in Santa Monica & Culver City lately...

5. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    My friend is working through the AAA vehicle purchasing program. Through AAA she was hooked up with Norwalk Toyota. She ordered one about 3 weeks ago and it will be ready to be picked up this weekend. She is paying MSRP, too!

6. Aly

Aly New Member

I was looking online today to see if there was any more news about the LA City Free parking program and I found a webpage that mentioned that in Los Angeles city you are eligible for an immediate $500 rebate if you buy a hybrid car. (Scroll down to the bottom for the Hybrid Section)

http://www.lacity.org/ead/EADWeb-AQD/afv_consumer.htm

I wish I had known about this when I bought my car four months ago!

The links aren't working but there is contact info for the person responsible for this program. I'm not sure if this program is still in effect but since it is still up on an official Los Angeles City webpage with no expiration date I would guess it's still valid.

Hope someone can benefit from this info.

Aly

EDIT: I talked to the contact person for the program and it turns out it ended last June after CA paid out the $5 million set aside for the program. I was told that there would probably never be a repeat of this program.

7. Garsen

Garsen New Member

Just an FYI/update, my experience at Hollywood Toyota was not good.

The sales guy pulled every bad car sales gimmick in the book--disappearing for 20 minutes when going to get an answer to a question he should have known immediately, trying to jerk us around on financing and trade-in, then getting two different managers to try and team up on us for a hard sell. It's been two days since I walked on these jokers and they have yet to refund my deposit!

If you actually care about what you're going to pay for the car, not having your time wasted, and the financing terms, you might get a pretty bad experience. Avoid these guys at all costs.

8. lisaj59

lisaj59 New Member

My first post!

I too am getting ready to buy here in the Los Angeles area. It sounds like no one is charging premiums anymore...is that right? That's good news.

So I too appreciate any tips on dealers who have a good supply and are easy to work with.

Happy to be here.

9. Garsen

Garsen New Member

i've heard that most places are doing straight MSRP, maybe throwing in floor mats or something, and offer financing as low as 1.9-3.9 with very good credit. i'm trying to sell my current car and will either buy straight or with trade in very soon.

10. alicesantamonica

alicesantamonica Junior Member

Patrick Peters at Southbay Toyota in Gardena is great. I got my silver last November and they charged me msrp and a friend bought one from them in Jan this year at msrp. They are very fair and weren’t charging a premium when a lot of other dealers were. I go there for service now as I want to be loyal to them and it’s about 40% less than Santa Monica, where I live.

11. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    We bought ours @ Oxnard Toyota, in mid March, salesman Paul Allary. Very good/easy experience. No BS.
    Have first appt with service dept next Tue. for Comp oil chg and "check".
    Hope they are as good as sales dept.
    Carl

12. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Junior Member

It's funny how dealers treat customers differently. I think it may have to do with what they have in stock and the current demand. I've posted my terrible experience at Thousand Oaks Toyota on the Dealers forum (thread titled "Dealers Charging Over MSRP)...similar to Garsen's Hollywood Toyota experience...very "old school/GlenGary Glenross" style using intimidation and scare tactics car sales approach. I also posted my good experience at Santa Monica Toyota w/Rose (similar to Malibucarl's Oxnard experience...painless and upfront).
    When we spoke to Paul at Oxnard, he was also very nice and upfront.

Your best bet is to call and ask what they are charging. If they say MSRP, ask what it is. Do your homework on MSRP's, warranties, financing, trade-in, etc. Know what you are willing to do when you go in and stick to your guns! If they don't do what you want, go somewhere else. We had to wait a couple more days, but it was worth it. There is always someone else willing to do honest business with you.

If people have more feedback on service depts. in the LA/Valley area, please post.

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It also depends on the channel you use to deal. If you walk into the showroom floor, you get different treatment than contacting them by web or 'Build Your Toyota'

14. innov8v

innov8v New Member

Would you expect to get better treatment if you contacted them via the Web or "Build Your Toyota," because you'd seem more "serious" than if you just wandered in off the street?

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Use a powerful tool.

I print out stuff and carry it on a clipboard. I don't refer to it at all, but know what I'm talking about. I think carrying a clipboard gives you authority and an air of expertise and no nonsense.

It's surprising what you can get away with by just carrying a clipboard.

And it doesn't hurt to have it so you can tell them....no the carpet mats are this much.

16. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I bought my car from Deren Nguyen at Longo Toyota.

I bought a number 3 options package or BY. I paid MSRP and I initially contacted him through the cars.com website. His email is [email protected].

He was upfront about the price and very through about showing me how my car would operate. There were no suprises and I drove off in about 45 minutes.

17. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Junior Member

I LOVE the internet and this web site!

18. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"91209)</div>
    I agree with Dan... toyota.com... 'BUILD' your car and sit back... let the internet manager come to you... you get everything in writting, should you need it... I found my internet guy to be easy to reach... although I totally trusted him, he said I could come by anytime to talk to him face to face..

Bob Andersen

19. llclar

llclar New Member

stay away from Bob Smith Toyota in La Crescenta on Foothill Blvd.I saw a package #1 with a $3000 lo jack mark up.I walked.I was told that every dealer was selling over sticker.That was on April 10th.I have not found anyone charging over sticker between Pasadena and North Hollywood.As I drive by their dealership often I see the salesman lined up leaning on the cars with nothing to do........duh...................

20. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have to agree with IIclar. Bob Smith Toyota is about two miles from my house and I would never do business with them in any way shape or form because I have heard so many bad stories about them from other locals.