1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Los Angeles: Looking for Silver Package 3 (found!)

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by jef, Jan 30, 2006.

1. jef

jef New Member

Inglewood (Los Angeles county), California
    Hi.

I'm on a waiting list at a couple of places in L.A., but with the allocation cuts in January and the glut of holdovers from 2005, I just got pushed out an extra month, to the end of March in their estimation, and it is likely even then I might have to take a different color or wait even longer. I imagine this isn't especially uncommon.

I've been calling all around hoping to luck into one in stock and haven't yet. If you come across a Silver Package 3 and it's not at one of the dealers that charges over MSRP or requires expensive dealer add-ons, and it's not the car you want - I'd be so happy if you let me know.

Thanks!
    jef

2. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have 1 or 2 other colors you would consider? That might help.

3. jef

jef New Member

Totally. I would like the Seaside Pearl or the Silver Pine Mica too. Just not as much.

4. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That should help. I did not care for the Seaside Pearl in the beginning, but I really like it now.

Look back on this forum and on priusonline.com in the dealer sections to see dealers in the area who have posted in the past and give them a call. The ones I think are at MSRP without waiting lists (i.e. first come) are Frontier in Valencia, Glendale, one or two in Long Beach, and the dealer in Cerritos. Also check Calabassas and Thousand Oaks.

Edit: Forgot to add - always ask for the Internet Sales Dept. At some dealerships it does make a difference.

5. jef

jef New Member

That's good advice. I have been in touch with 19 dealers all over the area now and I've been hunting for several weeks. I've found 6 that don't play games charging over sticker or adding on dealer accessories of dubious value -
    Toyota of Hollywood
    Longo Toyota
    Penske Toyota
    Cabe Toyota
    South Bay Toyota
    Toyota of Glendale

The Internet Department at Power Toyota of Cerritos quoted me $2000 over MSRP, did you mean a different one?

In my waiting list positions it looks like I'll (eventually) get a car, and the options package I want, but not my first choice color.

I'm going to keep pounding the phones and email, and like I said before, if anyone comes across my car before me, that elusive package 3 in Silver, please let me know.

6. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Longo and South Bay have waiting lists. Power Toyota in Cerritos had a Pkg 8 in December that they offered me at MSRP but I found a color I liked more at another dealer. Maybe their policy changed. Sometimes dealers will be more flexible right at the end of their month (not necessarily calendar month) when they are anxious to move cars. Ask them about that.

I see you contacted Glendale. One person posts. Did you talk with him?

Joe White
    Toyota of Glendale
    1260 S. Brand Blvd
    Glendale, CA

Another person who posts is

Please call me at 562-843-8071.
    Ronald Jarvis
    Toyota & Scion of Long Beach

I think Frontier in Valencia is at MSRP without add-ons.

If you would consider going to San Diego, suggest starting another thread indicating LA or San Diego. There are some people there who have responded and some folks have driven there.

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hai at Santa Barbara Toyota called me with Silver Package 3 at MSRP last Wednesday. It was coming in and unspoken for. Mine was also coming in at another dealer, so I had to pass. He doesn't get a long waiting list. If you're willing to drive 150 miles for the car, you might give him a call. His web site is at http://toyotaofsantabarbara.com/Specials-Default.aspx (no Prius listed there, of course, but all his contact info is).

8. jef

jef New Member

Thanks!

I talked to Hai this morning. He already sold that particular Silver Package 3, but he's going to be matching his new allocation to his waiting list today and he's going to give me a call this afternoon.

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

9. Darwin23

Darwin23 New Member

Try keyes toyota. I know they tried to pre-sell me a silver package #3 but i turned it down.

Theres also a white #3 at hamer toyota. I was there a few hours ago to get my deposit back.

10. jef

jef New Member

I turned it down too.

I called Robert who is the Internet Manager there. He told me that he has an unsold silver package 3 arriving at the dealership on Friday night or Monday afternoon. My pulse started racing. Then he told me that they sell the car for MSRP + $3000. And I was bummed. He lowered his offer to MSRP + $1500. But still the idea of paying windfall profits to a dealer bothers me.

I am greatful for the leads though. Keep em coming.

-jef

11. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad you can stick to your guns and not let them get away with the amount over MSRP. I suppose if you had to rent a car while you were looking for one it might seem more attractive, but I hate to see people paying more than MSRP.

12. Darwin23

Darwin23 New Member

That robert guy is hard to deal with....but he will come down on a price. if he knows you dont really like the car, he might sell it for msrp. he's got a seaside pearl there when i visited for a test drive...i told him i want red...i keep insisting on a red or black. he said he usually sell the car for markup, but since i'm walking away and he knows seaside is not my color of choice, he was willing to sell it for sticker. still walked away though.

13. jef

jef New Member

Yeah. Being hard to deal with and gamesmanship and haggling are not supposed to be the norm for Internet sales. I've talked to plenty of Fleet and Internet sales folks who were direct and honest about what they had and what they could do. Don't think I'll ever buy anything from Keyes.

14. jef

jef New Member

I made some good progress working the phones today. I got ahold of Ronald at Toyota Long Beach - he sells when they get the VIN numbers on the allocation. He doesn't have my car, but he expects he'll have the next allocation list within 2 weeks.

I talked to someone else at Keyes who offered me a better deal and wasn't as car dealery. I may go for that one. I told him that I didn't want to deal with Robert because he struck me as untrustworthy and uninterested. I think when I meet with him I am going to show him Darwin's quote.

And there are another two possibilities for next week.

A very good day. I hope something good comes of it.

15. jef

jef New Member

Yay. I just got home from signing the contract for my new Prius. I will be taking delivery possibly as soon as February 12. Woot. And it is a silver package 3.

Today I had a lot of free time and I went all out to find my car. I called places as far away as Barstow to the northeast, Indio to the east, south of downtown San Diego to the south, and Ventura to the north (since I already called Santa Barbara). And on what must have been my twenty-fifth call, I got it.

Dave West at I-10 Toyota in Indio is a good guy. He didn't have my car, but he was going to trade, cajole, and/or take inventory from the group's other dealership, and get me that car. At straight MSRP. If you are in the Coachella Valley, or willing to travel there to pick up your car, talk to Dave.

At Toyota of Riverside, they write contracts first-come first-served on specific VIN numbers with option packages when they are officially allocated. Today they got confirmation that my SIlver Package 3 was coming.

I worked with Eric and Joe in their fleet department who were professional and straight-forward and they quoted me straight MSRP with no dealer add-ons over the phone. I spent a few minutes thinking about how much of a pain taking delivery of my car in Riverside was going to be, and then I called them back and hopped into my soon-to-be former car and headed east. I really envied the folks in the carpool lane and the 91 Express FasTrak carpool lanes on the way out. Yay HOV lane stickers coming soon.

The contracting was straight forward. Eric showed me exactly what was allocated and I signed a couple of forms, agreeing that I was purchasing the car exactly as equipped and promising the finance company that I would buy insurance. Then I waited for about 10 minutes while my finance application was processed. The finance room was pretty mellow. The finance guy did do a couple of the usual song and dance routines "LoJack will get you a big enough discount on your insurance to pay for itself" "That maintenance contract cost me $995, I wouldn't be making any money" But when I calmly told him I wasn't buying anything, he let it go.

So my out-the-door price was $26,185.65.
    That's $24044 for the car (Package 3 + Floor and Cargo mats + first aid kit + cargo net)
    $45 fee for document preparation (this is standard at every California dealer, the DMV set that as the maximum price) sales tax, and registration fees. There were no non-standard charges. I did not offer them my trade-in, and though I was approved for financing at 10% according to my contract, they knew I was paying in full and will not be using it. The contract includes a California standard clause waiving all finance charges if the contract is paid in full by a specified date, and I made sure they filled it out.
    One big plus about buying in Riverside instead of L.A. is that the sales tax is .5% cheaper. That saved me $120.

When I get my car, I'll add on how the delivery went.

Yay!
    jef

16. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    jef,

That's great - you have been working hard.

But there's more to do. With the current number of stickers already issued and the backlog of applications in the system, they are getting close to the 50,000 point. They may stop at that point and evaluate the HOV lane usage before deciding if they will go to 75,000. There is no firm indication that they will stop or pause, and some opinions from within DMV that they will continue - but there does not seem to be a firm answer at this point.

Either way, you want the stickers as soon as possible. You probably know that you do not need to have the plates or even know the plate number to send in the application, just the VIN. If you know the VIN, you could even download the application from www.dmv.ca.gov and send it in today. But the catch is by the time the Special Processing Unit gets to your application in 2-3 weeks, your VIN number needs to be in the DMV system or else they can reject the application and return it to you.

The time from delivery to the VIN getting in the system is highly variable depending on how quickly the dealer handles it and how quickly the DMV office they work with processes it. My recommendation to you is to get in touch with the dealer's DMV clerk, and if you are financing, with the finance company, and get as much done ahead of time. Even if you have a check from the finance company and will pay the dealer at the time of delivery, there still may need to be paperwork between the finance company and the dealer. Try and get as much of that out of the way, so as soon as you take delivery, that is all done.

The best thing next is if the dealer will walk your paperwork through a local DMV office and get you the plates right away. Although you don't need to know the plate number or have the plates, getting thrm right away will ensure your VIN is in the system immediately. I don't know if the dealer will let you do this, but maybe you can offer to drive the salesman over to DMV.

When I bought the 2005, the dealer sat on the paperwork for 2 weeks before even sending it in. That really annoyed me, and I ruled out that dealer for my 2006. With the 2006, I had the plates the next day after the paperwork, so it can be done.

Good luck

jsf

17. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    You go, jef! You're the second member in the last two weeks to use the "all-out frontal assault" approach, and it worked!

I'll save your extra "w00t" until you take delivery. B)

18. jef

jef New Member

Good point jsf.

I also found out that FasTrak, the California Toll transponder, as administered by the I-15 toll road authority in San Diego, requires a license plate be visible - transponder use in a car without license plates can be fined or subject to administrative fees.

I talked to Eric and he is going to get with the DMV rep at their dealership tommorrow and see if they can get and install my license plates prior to delivery.

19. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good - sounds like you're on top of it.