1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Losing MPG after inverter pump replacement

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by LIBI, Sep 5, 2010.

1. LIBI

LIBI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    After the warning light & triangle went on in my 2003 Prius, it turned out the inverter pump was bad. It was replaced. Now I am steadily losing MPG as I drive the car. From before the replacement, it has gone from 42 - 44 down to 36. This is in a few days time.

After I got home, I saw that the dealer put on the service ticket that the car might need a new inverter. There was no reason stated for that, and the service rep never mentioned it. In fact, the service rep said that the hybrid system would not be damaged if I drove the car with the warning light, since the hybrid system would shut itself off before any damage would be done.

There is a small leak in the radiator but on inspection, the coolant level is full (actually, while still hot, it is overfull), so I don't think that is the problem, at least not yet.

Do I need to buy a new car? This one has 123,000 on it now. The hybrid battery was replaced a year ago, and this is looking like big bucks for repairs, between an inverter (if that is the problem) and the radiator. Still less expensive than a new car, but I saw on another thread that these cars can only be expected to go to around 150,000 miles.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think you can 'expect' anything past the warranty. who knows what the average is for all 2003's sold. some people have more luck than others and it's also a combination of driving conditions and how you drive it and take care of it. my daughters accord has 104,000 miles and she's done a lot of work over the years. suspension, bearings, exhaust, etc. compare how much the repairs are to buying a new (newer) one, but think about all the advantages of a newer generation in your comparison. all the best!

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Anytime a car comes back from the dealer, check:

• tire pressure
    • ICE oil level
    • relearning ICE trim - if they disconnected the aux battery, the long term trim will have been lost and needs to be relearned
    There are some who advocate resetting the ECUs by disconnecting the 12 V battery from ground for a couple of minutes to induce a reset and let the vehicle relearn the trim. I'm not in that camp but it is a cheap hack.

Thermal stressing the power electronics shortens the life. The literature I've read indicates the usable area decreases and the remaining active area continues to get stressed.

I know most modern radiators went to plastic tops and bottoms. Still, it might help to see if any independent, specialty radiator shops might offer a fix.

No car lasts forever so there comes a time when the cost to repair and loss of reliability means the car has reached the end of its life. This is something you'll have to decide based upon your requirements and resources. But the 150,000 miles is BS:

• 160,000 miles - Dept. of Energy ran two and sold them when their fleet test ended.
    • 350,000 miles - Jessie's Prius that was lost in an accident
    Then compare these examples with ordinary gassers and their expected lifetime. A lot of it has to do with usage patterns and maintenance. For someone like me who does his own work, repairs are the cost of parts and consumables and I can buy used parts. But if you're on the 'dealer leash' or don't have a good mechanic, the expenses can be pretty stiff.

If you decide to buy another Prius, consider a used NHW20 say 2006-07 or more recent. My preference would be a Prius just after the 3/36000 warranty expired which is what my 2003 Prius had when I bought it in 2005. The reason is the bulk of the drivetrain and hybrid componets including the traction battery are still covered under the 8/10000 mile warranty. I'd also bought the maintenance manuals and saw the warranty period as a bridge while I learned the technology.

Bob Wilson

4. LIBI

LIBI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Thanks Bob. Do you think that the ICE trim would be a reason that the mpg's are so rapidly declining? Since I don't have a mechanic's background, does that have any direct relationship to ECUs, and would that affect the mpg reading?

I have wanted a new Prius for some time, but of course would prefer to put off a major purchase like that for a couple more years. Thanks for your advice on not trusting the 150,000 mile lifespan that I had read on another part of this forum.

I have found a shop I really like here in Atlanta, but not sure if they are up for working on this problem. If they are, I'll take it back there. If not, do you have any recommendations for this area, or somewhere within a few hours of driving time?

I will definitely not take it back to that dealer again, as they misled me about potential damage to the inverter. I did not drive it very far with the warning light on, and the light did not reappear after the problem was diagnosed as an inverter pump problem (code P3130) and the code was reset.

Thanks again.

Libby

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've never experienced it but read reports by others. BTW, there are other things that could also impact mileage.

You might consider taking the car out on a loop and setting the cruise control to a fixed speed. Reset the MPG meter and run for at least 10 miles or a complete loop. Then check your indicated MPG against this chart:
    [​IMG]

Use the 'gray line' to check the MPG at a given speed for about 10 miles versus the expected from the chart. If it is off significantly and there is no explanation such as winds or hills, it is time to figure out what is going wrong.

Summit NC is a little far from Atlanta but I have a lot confidence in David Taylor's work.

In one respect their warning about possible inverter damage was a 'cover thy . . . ' note. But one thought is you might check your community college and adult education programs to see if you can find an introduction to auto mechanics. A basic course would give you the fundamentals so you can chat with mechanics with at least the basics.

Bob Wilson

6. LIBI

LIBI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Thanks again, Bob. Sanford NC is about 6 hours drive from here, so not entirely out of the question. However, I will want to have more confidence in how the car is driving before I take it that far.

I will try the cruise control option you suggest.

What other kinds of things may have coincidentally occurred to affect the mileage?

Thanks also for the tip on taking a course. In my copious spare time, that is not an option right now. But it actually sounds like fun. Back a few decades when I had a VW Sport Beetle, I actually changed plugs, etc. (under my Dad's close supervision). Cars, especially hybrids, are many leagues further down the road than those of the early 70's. And I am older and much more averse to getting grease under my fingernails.

Libby

7. LIBI

LIBI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I was not able to open the chart you sent. Is it posted somewhere online that I can check?

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I noticed the web site is handling images a little differently now:
    [​IMG]
    It appears to be a Camino brower problem.

Bob Wilson

9. freidawg

freidawg Prius Recycler

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the SOC indicator behaving roughly the same way as it did before the car got sick? Do you notice the ICE running much more than it used to? Not shutting down at stop lights etc?

This is anecdotal at best, but it is an indicator. The inverter having an effect on MPG would be from insufficient charging of the HV battery, and nothing else I can think of. (anyone disagree?)

I have seen multiple examples of these cars in excess of 200k, there's no reason to think the car is worn out.

FWIW, I would try to find someone with Techstream to scan the car. Error Codes are generated and stored in the ECU that don't necessarily light up the MIL. This will provide some insight into whats going on with it.

If you do need and inverter (and its not clear that you do), a good, guaranteed, used example can be had for a few hundred dollars. I don't know what standard billing hrs are for R&R on the inverter, but this issue should not drive that car to the grave if that's all that's wrong with it.

The radiator repair (if you need it) is relatively minor. Any decent shop (hybrid trained or not) can pressure test either cooling system (inverter/Trans or ICE) and tell you if you have a leak. Some will do this diagnostic for a nominal charge. Its a simple test. The biggest pain in the neck is that the AC condenser is part of the ICE radiator, so you will need to pay for an AC system recharge if thats the one that needs replacing.

If you get a techstream scan file and you cant get a diagnosis, I'd be happy to look at the file and see if I can help.

Eric
    Adopt A Part
    303-296-2211

10. LIBI

LIBI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Thanks again on this Bob. I think the independent shop was trying to explain this to me by saying there are adaptive control modules that change as you drive the car. I found that the longer I drove today, the more the car seemed to be running normally.

I also took your later suggestion, and drove with the car on cruise control for several miles. The MPG gradually came back up to the normal range as well and so far is staying there.

I appreciate the advice on what to check after the car has been to the dealer - though I do not anticipate ever going back to them. I have found they always set the tire pressure below what the extra load tires call for. I do keep those on the car, even though the recommendation was to put regular tires on it and the dealer quit carrying them. I ordered them online.

Also, thanks for the advice on what to buy next. I really would like to have the newer model Prius - but again - not this year I hope.

Libby

1 person likes this.
  11. LIBI

LIBI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Eric, thanks for your advice. I really appreciate what you and the others said about the car not necessarily having a shelf life of 150,000.

I did not think to check the HV battery indicator. Fortunately, it is operating normally. That's a good thing, since it was just replaced a little over a year ago. I got 107,000 or so out of the original.

Thanks to you and the others who recommended having the radiator checked out independently. It does have plastic components and I understand that is where the leak has occurred.

This has definitely been an educational experience. I will look forward to following other posts on the Gen 1 Prius.

Libby