1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loss of Power on Canyon Road!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Vintage Pep, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Vintage Pep

Vintage Pep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well I had quite the scare today! My 2016 Prius is currently at the dealer i want to share my story with this community first.
    As I left work my indicator showed a full battery all bars in blue. As I was driving down the coast I noticed the battery started to quickly deplete, in approx 8.6 miles my indicator showed 1 blue bar. At that time I was making a left onto the canyon road. I thought this was odd. mind you it's my first hybrid. As I turned left noticed a decrease in acceleration power. Didn't think much of it but about until about 2 miles in I noticed the prius started losing acceleration power the motor was running and the indicator did not show that it was in ev mode even coasting through the canyon and braking it go very nerve racking since i had to accelerate to come up a slope through a tunnel i had almost no acceleration power. the car felt like it was hesitating (still one blue bar and motor was running) I think by the down hill coast and a few spurts of power surges i was able to make it through the tunnel by the 5th miles i had no power to accelerate luckily there was a road where i could make a right. as i coasted to the intersection I turned right then attempted to pull a uturn on a patch of dirt as i was 3/4 of the through the turn there was zero power the vehicle was on but no power engine cut out. no check engine light whatsoever i got suck in the middle of the 2 lane highway blocking both directions!!!!!! I thought this is not good!!! since cars usually come flying through this road. I put on my hazards and attempted to put the car in neutral it indicated it was in neutral, then i shifted to drive but again no power the car was just making a noise and like a very faint grinding noise. At this point cars were on both lanes trying to head each direction I had to get out and push the car backwards to get 1 tire off the side grade then I was still sideways in the middle of the road. I cycle the car 3 times by putting it in park with parking brake with no luck, or power. it wasn't until 4th try it got some power the engine kicked on and i was able to pull back in the right lane and i was stuck at the corner with my hazards on. The car again was on no check engine light? engine was running? but no power whatsoever to accelerate or reverse??? As a small fiat went around me the lady told me my reverse lights were on and that I should turn on my hazards but the car was in park with hazards on!!!! It was like the car went bonkers!!!

i sat in the same sport for 45 min waiting for towing to arrive but they were delayed another hour. I turning the car back on and when the light turned green i went for it i slowly pressed the accelerator and low and behold there was a little bit of power just enough to get me going. so i flipped the hazards on and drove 18 miles at about 45 miles per hour oddly the engine was on and it started to charge the battery up to 3 bars and stayed there.

I was able to get it to the dealer before closing time. They said they would diagnose it tomorrow! they didn't seem to care much about what happened one of the service advisor said rats might of chewed some wires!! which at that point i kindly asked him to stop! and to speak no more. I paid for a rental out of pocket and took my 2 kids car seats out of the back.

I will not drive this until it's absolutely fixed what a scary situation!! has this happened to any one else? And yes my tank was 3/4 full and a full charge when I first drove off from my work place. I'm really afraid to drive this vehicle again almost got hit 3x's while sitting sideways on a 2 lane winding canyon road!!

#1 Vintage Pep, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No idea - but I wonder if you tried turning it off, then back on again? Like a computer when it misbehaves?

RCO and kithmo like this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You mention two kids car seats. Could they (or all the extra things that come with kids BTDT) have obstructed the battery cooling vent? If the battery gets too hot, the car will try to protect it and not use it.

pilotgrrl, fuzzy1, RCO and 1 other person like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe the first year of a new generation blues?

Mendel Leisk, RCO and kithmo like this.
  5. Vintage Pep

Vintage Pep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dealership called me back today the service manager state there were no trouble codes reported. But he did mention the logs show when I had applied the brake and accelerator at the same time. ( when the car was rolling back into the road and had no power). He stated it matched with the events I described.

He can't explain what happened. 2 possibilities: when the battery does over heat the car will protect itself and cut power. (Like you mentioned Fotomoto)

Also if you press the brake and accelerator at the same time continuously it's puts it in limp mode.....

Service mangers words not mine.

The techs can't explain what happened? They are still diagnosing the vehicle keep you posted.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Brake and accelerator at the same time ?......reminds me of a certain unintended acceleration recall and lawsuits a few years ago, maybe the limp mode is a consequence of that if the car thinks you're pressing both. You don't have aftermarket floor mats in yours do you (or very wide feet :whistle:) ?

RCO likes this.
  7. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's a safety feature. Been around for several years in other cars. It's mentioned in the Prius owner's manual. Smart Stop Technology, I think it's called. Brings the vehicle to a "timely" stop when both the brake and gas pedals are pressed simultaneously. The dealer should know all about it. (It came about because of the runaway vehicle fiasco.)

kithmo and RCO like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds more like: step on the gas and brake at the same time breaks the car. :whistle:

RCO and bisco like this.
  9. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    CNN has an article on the web, talks about this technology dating back to 2010. If your gas pedal is stuck (Toyota) just step on the brake pedal and your vehicle will come to a "timely" stop. In other words, it disables the car? I forget what it said about getting the car back to normal.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it certain that is the only time you hit both pedals? Or or there any possibility at all that you could have been on both pedals while the lack-of-power problem was also happening? That limp mode is a safety measure to prevent run-aways from a certain driver error, which are now the primary cause of engine runaway crashes.

And you haven't yet answered the question about the back seat battery vent possibly being blocked by the child seat or child 'stuff'.

11. Vintage Pep

Vintage Pep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a booster seat behind the drivers site 1 infant rear facing seat behind the passenger side. One folded baby blanket on the floor passenger side. And 1 Star Wars sunshade behind drivers seat.

I wear size 13 shoe regular.

I guess it's always a possibility to touch gas and brake at the same time. What would explain indicator discharge from full bars to 1 bar in 8 miles on flat coast highway before canyon??

Anyone recommend any question to ask tech. I'm headed over now??

Thanks

RCO and bisco like this.
  12. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The full discharge is odd - sounds like a fault of some sort. No error or "MALFUNCTION" notification came on the screen?

I assume you were in "D" and not "B"?

I found this in the Manual (EURO):
    "When the accelerator and brake pedals are depressed at the same time, the hybrid system output may be restrained."

"Do not depress the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time during driving, as this may restrain driving torque."

"Do not use the accelerator pedal or depress the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time to hold the vehicle on a hill."

On the lower front of the rear seat there are 2 vents for the battery - one on the RH side, the other in the middle - would either of them have been covered by the "folded baby blanket"?
    both vents.jpg

kithmo, RCO and bisco like this.
  13. Vintage Pep

Vintage Pep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Out of the 2: Middle vent Would seem likely to have been blocked by the blanket. I was in D.

So the tech told me that a possible explanation to having one bar is that the Prius " may go into a deep battery cycle (what does that mean?) well he stated it would discharge on the indicator then Attempt to recharge by kicking in the gas motor. He said if you were driving up an incline that might replicate the loss or perceived loss of power.

So does this mean that the engineers didn't think out the cycle and the ability for it to adapt to the ever changing driving condition. And if so would then it put those who are driving in strenuous condition be effectively SOL??

Thoughts??

14. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I'd think he's not right - from those who have commented to your post, nobody has ever experienced this - and it seems that it wasn't just a "perceived loss of power", but basically it wouldn't go for you at all. How steep was the incline? How long have you had the car - how many miles?

I've only ever seen my battery indicator (mine is NiMH) down to 2 bars, and that was with me trying to use EV to the last drop one day, it just wouldn't go down lower (and I've never seen it fill the very last bar of the battery).

The Owner's manual specifically tells us not to block ONLY the OUTER VENT - in a discussion on PRIUSCHAT a while back, nobody could answer what the middle vent is for - there was a presumption that it could be to ventilate the battery too, but there's no mention of it in the manual so it could even be for some other reason.

kithmo and RCO like this.
  15. Weasle543

Weasle543 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The lower vent in the middle is the out let for the battery fan, the other one is the intake.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems unlikely that you would have found a new strenuous driving condition that 15 years of previous PriusChat drivers never encountered. It seems far more likely that something else went wrong. Whether that was operator error or system failure or new model bug remains TBD.

17. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not certain - I suspect it is. It's unusual that the Owner's Manual specifically tells us not to block the outer vent, with illustrations, but nothing is said about the middle vent which isn't even in their diagram.

upload_2016-11-2_13-20-39.png

RCO likes this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The thing that gets me is the 1 bar of battery. I've never seen 1 bar of battery, except when our Gen 2 was on its last legs at 245,000km and even then, it could occasionally charge to 3 bars (like it's supposed to).

The quick drain is disconcerting. Hopefully the techs find out why. The 1 bar of battery essentially snowballed into everything you described as you when up the canyon road.

pilotgrrl, Mendel Leisk, RCO and 2 others like this.
  19. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh - I didn't think about snow (I've never seen snow!!).

How cold was it? Maybe a VERRRY cold battery could, but I'd be surprised if it was.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Eh? lol I wasn't implying cold conditions (It's not that cold yet!! Well, maybe except Alaska...or the Yukon.)