1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loss of Power, Red Triangle, and Hybrid System Warning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gus, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Gus

Gus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    During a highway trip three months ago, my 2004 Prius suddenly lost engine power, the red triangle Master Warning light came on accompanied by a warning sound, and then the Hybrid System Warning sign appeared on the Multifunction Display. I pulled off to the side of the road and stopped. I turned the car off and then tried turning it on again. Engine power was restored although the warning lights remained. We took a chance and carried on with our trip. The same sequence of events reoccurred about 10 times on our 1,300 km journey. I took the car to a Toyota dealer where they found a C2318 DTC. They checked the battery and the HEV fuse but could not locate the problem. We returned home and on the way the same thing happened a few more times. My service manual noted that the description for C2318 is Low Voltage Error (Power Supply Malfunction) and the trouble areas are HEV fuse, IGCT relay, Wire harness or connector, or Auxiliary battery. Since the car was nearly 7 years old I thought I had nothing to lose by replacing the battery, which I did. However, on a short 150 km trip last week the problem appeared again, once while approaching our destination and once when we were almost home. There seems to be a pattern in that the problem appears every 150 km or so of highway driving. It has never done it while driving in the city. Has anyone resolved a similar problem?

Niomi Luna likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you checked to see whether the inverter coolant pump is running?

If not, make the car READY and look at the inverter coolant reservoir. Do you see turbulence in the fluid level which shows that the pump is operational?

If you do not see fluid turbulence, then you'll need to have the pump replaced ASAP. This is the subject of a limited service campaign in most parts of the world, so your local Toyota dealer should replace the pump (even if it is working) without charge to you.

The relevance of the pump to your issue is that when the inverter overheats, the DC/DC converter will shut down, which causes voltage on the 12V bus to decline.

Also see: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...call-alert-2004-2007-inverter-water-pump.html

1 person likes this.
  3. Gus

Gus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the suggestion. I had the coolant pump replaced under the recall just before the trip in which encountered the trouble.

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even more reason for you to check to see if the pump is running. It is possible that you may find that the pump installation was not performed correctly.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    We have already read stories here of wrong connections and inadequate coolant fill from the dealer. Inadequate air purging seems inevitable, but I in that case I imagine one should listen for gurgling rather than use turbulence in the coolant container to check for that possibility.

6. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I suppose there could be a chance of a air lock as well. All the more reason to check for coolant movement in the tank. Hal

7. Gus

Gus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks very much for steering me to the inverter coolant pump because that is where I found the source of my problems. I checked the inverter coolant reservoir for turbulence to see if the pump was working properly. I didn’t see any turbulence. Then I removed the radiator cover and to my surprise found a long nose vise grip clamped to one of the coolant hoses. 079.JPG
    Once I removed the vise grip turbulence was evident. Apparently the technician had used the vise grip during the warranty pump replacement before my first trip and had forgotten to remove it. Moreover he (she) must have forgotten to check the pump operation by looking for turbulence in the reservoir. I don’t expect my problem to return. However, I expect the dealer will see me return.
    Thanks again.

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Now I have a new concern. Did the dealer give you a full dose of new coolant, or did the technician cheat by preventing loss of coolant during the pump replacement by pinching off the hose? The recall procedure calls for a full coolant replacement.

At least you gained a new tool.

JeffD

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, there was no extra charge for you to pick up a vise grip tool, who can complain? :rockon:

Seriously, it is clear that technician was not paying attention. Hope nothing else was forgotten. Glad to hear you figured out the problem.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An amusing reminder to always look under the hood after every service. I learned that after driving home after the first oil change of my first new car by a dealer. I got a free wrench and a can of WD40. I wondered what else was there that fell out during the 10 mile drive home.

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm wondering what the WD40 was doing there, and hope that was not employed as a substitute for engine oil... :eek:

1 person likes this.
  12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey, don't knock it. Over 22 years I've got a couple of flare wrenches, a hammer, and an oil filter tool just by looking under the hood after the "experts" had touched it

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only tool that I recall receiving as a "gift" was a Snapon 13 mm box/open end wrench. I like it because it is longer than the Craftsman wrenches I have, hence provides more torque.

14. ZitterZap

ZitterZap Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Technician complacency is somehow not an uncommon issue with inverter pump recall. My weekend trip to New Orleans was cancelled 1/4th of the way because they forgot to plug in the inverter pump.

Maybe Toyota didn't provide them proper manuals.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Or maybe they just don't give a s***

16. Robbie Love

Robbie Love New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Clearly they don't. Used vice grips on your rubber hose?..

Wow.. Major fail. Let us know what happens when you tell them this.

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, I suppose if you complain about it you will have to return the vice grips... But I agree with Robbie (below). You should tell the service writer.

18. Robbie Love

Robbie Love New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And if you don't? ..This will probably happen again and again.

Harbor Freight anyone?

19. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The recall instructions for the technician are quite clear. Any oil changer can do it. However, either the service department instituted a policy of NOT draining/flushing the coolant, because factory bleeding procedure is time consuming and they can charge Toyota for the coolant that is instead sold to someone else, or the techs are trying to take a short cut since the flat rate payout is low.

20. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I were you I would take a photo with my cell phone and email it to Toyota Customer Experience if applicable along with every detail and diagnostic code.

It is unlikely that the inverter has been damaged, but you want to be covered if it fails or if the problem returns.

I guess that if surgeons forget surgical tools inside patients, car techs are allowed some leeway too, nobody is perfect. But you shouldn't potentially assume responsibility for this.