1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost 5 mpg when replacing Integrity tires with Hydroedge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pardreamer, Oct 7, 2009.

1. pardreamer

pardreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I replaced the Integrity after 63,000 miles. There were a lot of tread left but the problem was tire wear was uneven and there was too much noise. I replaced them with the Hydroedge tires and had alignment done. The Hydroedge tires provide better ride and grip, and are more quiet. However, I used to get 55 MPG and now suddenly it is 50 MPG. I hate to see the mileage number in the high 40s but I guess ride comfort and better road grip cost something.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It takes about 2000 miles or so for the Hydroedge to break in. You'll still get slightly worse mileage with them, but pump them up to at least 44f/42r (I use 50psi all around, but the ride can be harsh) and give it some time. I've been on my Hydroedge for ~65k miles now and have seen a tank as high as 76.1mpg, so big numbers are quite doable.

3. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's interesting that any brand of tire has to "wear in" before giving their best mileage. I changed to Falken ZE-912's, and it took a few thousand miles before I was back up to about where I was with the Bridgestones (plus better ride, handling, and quieter).

4. neilz

neilz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does that mean that I will also get better mileage from my Prius after the Yokohama tires break in?

5. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a lot of factors you see worse mileage with new tires.
    - The well worn tire's diameter became small, then you saw better mileage.
    - The well worn tire's rolling resistance became small, then you saw better mileage.
    - As others wrote, the new tires need to break in.

Also, temperature is getting colder.

Ken@Japan

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My experience was similar; I estimated a 5-10% loss. Much of it has been made up now that I have 35K miles on the Hydroedges.

7. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is the consistent opinion here - they certainly should.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd say it's worth a slight reduction in mpg for the increased safety of better tires!

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They will probably never be as good as the Integrities. Integrities may be noisy, not wear very well and have mediocre wet traction, but they allow very good fuel economy and dry traction.

See TireRack.com for a comparison of fuel economy tire tests conducted on a Prius. Using their results, in my warm climate I will replace my Integrities with GY Assurance FuelMax.

10. Neena2007

Neena2007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i agree... the yokohamas on mine are getting better. i have about 2500 miles on them.

11. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I did not notice such a large change in my MPG when I switched to hydroedge after about 35K miles. Less than 5 % reduction.

Also, I have been letting Costco set the tire pressure. They do not fill it to the higher pressure unless I remind them - and it seemed too much trouble to do so all the time.

My long-term MPG is 48 - 49 MPG, with a lower efficiency around town compared to the highway. I don't know if tire pressure would have more effect in urban traffic?

12. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My hit with the hydroedges has been no more than 4 or 5%. It's unfortunate but I'm willing to trade-off for tires that don't scare me. Integritys were fine when brand new but became way too "exciting" in inclement weather.

13. 86jaguar

86jaguar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

14. 86jaguar

86jaguar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking for black steel rims for the winter for my 2008. Does anyone have a site I can go to and purchase them?

15. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is no Prius-specific steel wheel, as the alloy wheels are standard. But the previous generation (2003-2008) Corolla wheel will fit. Maybe you can find a salvage set, or if not, a tire dealer might be able to order a new one for you. I got one for $50 to mount a spare tire on.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium

... and it IS only temporary. Our hydroedges needed about 8K miles to get back up over 60mpg. Welcome to the "lost mpg's when replacing tires ... but only temporarily" club.

17. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in the "New Hydroedge tires" club, having just replace my OEM Integrities at 25,000 miles. Upon reading that many PC members claimed low lifetimes on the Integrities, I'm amazed that the original poster reported getting 63,000 miles of wear! Mine were badly (and unevenly) worn at 25,000, even though I religiously rotated them every 5,000.

Well, it is too soon to really tell, but the first 50 miles is bad news for me. But, my lower MPG is in line with what everyone is saying. On my OEM tires, I was consistently achieving 55 mpg. On my new Hydroedges, it's a struggle to get 50 (same exact daily driving route, same temperature, same weather).

Still, I'm looking forward to the improved handling, ride, and quietness.

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's interesting that many people are reporting a similar story of "about 5 MPG" decrease for their new hydroedges, given that in the recent tire-rack tests (see When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green ) found only a very maginal difference (0.6%) between them and the GY Integreties.

Can we assume from this that the majority of the reported decrease is just the result of the tires being new and not yet "broken in"?

19. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think this is part of the answer.
    Given the same percentage of wear, side-by-side, the Integrity has lower rolling resistance than the Hydroedge. Couple that with the fact that a tire's rolling resistance decreases with wear, and you get a double-whammy MPG hit when you install the new tires.

20. pardreamer

pardreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I got 63,000 miles with my original Integrities within less than two years. My commute is 82 miles one way with 77 miles on the highway. My drive in the morning is at around 5 AM and I barely touch the brakes at all. I use the brakes a little bit more in the afternoon but it is still mostly coasting at 64 mph.

I guess highway coasting and little use of brakes help reduce tread wear.