1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost all keys to 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusOwner428, May 10, 2024.

1. PriusOwner428

PriusOwner428 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Situation. Son lost all keys to car. Had mobile car locksmith make him a key. Key has no wireless functionality. He has to open/lock car with the manual key & put key fob in the slot to start car. Got a call telling him the key was found. Picking up lost key in a week. Says it has the silver Toyota logo on the back so I assume it's the original key. Have the following questions for people that would know:
    1) Will the key that was lost still work with car as is (ie without programming)?
    2) Now that he will have the lost key that worked wirelessly can he have it re-programmed (if needed) & will it work wirelessly again like it used to?
    3) Can this type of work be done by the mobile car locksmiths or does it have to be done by the dealer?

Went through previous posts, but saw too many contradictions & missing info.

Thanks for any help.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So a locksmith provided you with another fob because the one is lost and the one that was lost obviously had its key with it the metal one and you got that cut and he got you a fob that you were able to get programmed to at least work with it in the slot so you can start the car and drive it? Depends on the software he used and whether he cleared out all the other keys and what have you I don't know what is software is capable of. I would think the original silverback fob should still work.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If the locksmith made a new key and fob that allows the car to be driven, with all previous fobs lost, he would have cleared all previous keys. My understanding is used fobs can not be reused. Best to call him.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You have the old far back in hand lights up when you push the remote button or buttons on the remote fob that you see the red light You try to slot it and start the car? There's your answer right there I haven't had the fully do this yet and when I do I won't be clearing out all of my other fobs just because one is lost because the likelihood of me finding it here on the property is very good probably in the drawer I try to mark them and all that nonsense but when you have five six seven of these things it can get a little crazy. I would just try to program another one to get my car so I could start it and work it with the knowledge that I'm probably going to find the other remote so I just want to add something so that I can make something happen while I need to which is now I didn't know you were forced to clear out all other fobs you could have like four possibly so I can clear out three of the four keep the one the factory one number one that came with the car or whatever still programmed and program up another one out of thin air however it's done.