1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost All Keys to Prius. Help please

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by i32547, Jan 21, 2014.

1. i32547

i32547 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I've briefly looked around the forum to see if there are any threads with the same scenario, found others who had similar issues, but didn't notice any threads where op had lost all keys to the car.

The prius is a 2010 genIII uk model. I lost the key to it around three weeks ago. Searched all over for it, safe to say it's gone.

So after some time wasting, and the prius parked up for three weeks, I'm now trying to resolve this situation without paying the dealer £1700.

I will try to be as precise as possible in listing what I have tried and with what equipment.

I have an old lappy with techstream installed and seems operational.
    I have a mini-vci cable not a genuine mongoose cable though.

Okay, so, I got a replacement blade from the dealer so that I could actually get inside the prius. When I unlock the drivers door with the blade, the alarm sounds for a short while then stops.
    I open the rear hatch, connect a pair of power cables to the battery in the prius boot, and the other side of the cable to another running car battery.
    The prius rear hatch remains open.
    I return to the driver seat of the prius and plug in the mini-vci cable from the laptop to the dlc port of the prius.
    I open techstream on the laptop, press and hold the brake pedal, and click connect to vehicle on the techstream software on the laptop.
    Techstream asks for vehicle details, I input prius 2010 with smartkey.
    Then I go to the smartkey ecu tab on techstream and select utilities then smartkey(or code, can't remember which it says).
    Techstream asks for vin number, input it.
    Then techstream generates a seed code and asks for a passcode.
    I then give the seed code to *#*#*.
    After approx 15mins *#*#* reply with a passcode for me.
    I later noticed that between this point, and the beginning, the power cables got accidentally disconnected from the running car's battery.
    I then entered the passcode into techstream.
    Techstream then proceeded to inform me that the procedure would take 16mins.
    Now, when I try to continue, the box that I clicked greys out and after about 5-10 seconds techstream says that smartkey reset failed would you like to try again.
    I then tried another function (I forget which) on techstream and techstream told me that there was no active communication with the prius. I suspect that the car fell asleep somewhere.
    I then let my foot off the brake pedal.
    I then pressed the start button and tried another function on techstream just to check, and it communicated with the car. This is why I think it fell asleep somewhere.

I then attempted the whole above procedure again, but, this time the power cables were connected to the battery all the way through, but the other vehicle was not running.
    Also, in this second attempt, before i entered the passcode ( a second passcode that I purchased from sigmabit), I pressed the start button twice just to make sure the car was awake and communication didn't break.
    I got the same result the second time around, failed after 5-10 seconds.

Now, I'm struggling here. I mean, I haven't even got to the issue of trying to use a used smartkey from my previous prius. It just fails at the reset process. Could someone point me as to some mistakes I'm making? I really could do with some tips here. I'm going to try again now with a different laptop, see if that works.

iPhone ?

I'm thinking of using a power probe on the ignition cable to try to get the ignition turned on...because all other reports I'm reading, people are saying that they have the prius in "ready" mode or ignition on...but then, they haven't lost all their keys!

iPhone ?

2. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think the car thieves may help. Otherwise I do not think if anybody will give you a recipe how to start the car without keys.

3. i32547

i32547 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow!

iPhone ?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! there are a few threads hidden here somewhere, but iirc, the dealer is the only option and people with one key are seriously warned to get a second before it's too late. i hope you have better luck! i wish i had better news for you, perhaps someone will. all i can recommend is shopping around dealers for the best price and pleading your case. all the best!(y)

5. i32547

i32547 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn! I am surprised at people complaining about the 300usd fee from the dealer..I wish I could pay that much!! I got quoted £1700. £1700!! Can you believe that??

iPhone ?

Oh. And thanks for the welcome bisco

iPhone ?

6. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OP, you might wish to PM a fellow PriusChatter named Patrick Wong. He's very experienced on the Prius family tech side.

Best of Luck to you!

7. i32547

i32547 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!
    What is his username?

The other computer I tried also failed

iPhone ?

8. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Boy that really sucks. Patrick is online now and his username is Patrick Wong. lol. Very knowledgeable.

9. i32547

i32547 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh great!
    Thanks

iPhone ?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    btw, when you lose both keys over here, it's around $1,000. not $300. don't feel too bad.

11. i32547

i32547 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lol
    Thanks! I feel $700 better

iPhone ?

12. ckam1989

ckam1989 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Aww good luck with everything. I hope you get them fixed. :)

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

You were talking pounds before at 1700? that's not in dollars?

14. i32547

i32547 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I was talking pounds

iPhone ?

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1700 pounds for lost keys....holy crap, that's $3000

16. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think the ECU can be kept awake by pressing the door light switch. I don't know how often, but you might want another person doing it every few seconds while you pay attention to Techstream. The used fob should work fine.

17. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Check out this item
    OBD2 OBD II OBDII ALLIN1 Programmer 4D Chip Smart Key Maker for Toyota Lexus | eBay
    I have one but never used it. I heard they work on Prius.
    If you use the tech stream knock off cable it should work but you need a locksmith ID and to wait 15 minutes then you can clear out the old programmed keys and learn a new master key. It is under smart key > utility. The info above is all relative to the US lock smith rules I do not know what differences exist in the UK

18. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If you get really stuck, I have a spare gen III smart key computer (Toyota part # 89990-47050 ) with two mated pristine fobs that I can let go for $250 plus shipping

MexicanChip likes this.
  19. i32547

i32547 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've tried that orange snartkeymaker... no success...

iPhone ?

20. i32547

i32547 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    will I not need the transmission module computer also?

iPhone ?