1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost my only key - cheap options for reprogramming?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by noteye, Aug 3, 2010.

1. noteye

noteye New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Recently bought my 05 Prius and was only given one key / fob for the car. At the time I had no idea replacement keys would cost so much or I would have worked another one into the deal from the dealership.

After tearing through the house / car / neighborhood thoroughly I had to give up and order a new sks enabled key & fob from Conicelli for ~$150 w/ free shipping as opposed to paying $200+ retail :)

Now I'm looking for the best deal to have the key programmed with no existing keys.

So far:

Mossy Toyota - $300
    El Cajon Toyota -$300
    Kearny Mesa Toyota - $230

There are all of the dealerships that are nearby - seeing as how I will need to have the car towed to the dealership :\

Does anyone know of any "Prius Club" discounts or dealerships in the Southern California area that will do the work for cheaper?

Too bad I don't live in SF as there is an independent shop up there that will reprogram for relatively cheap!

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) I've checked the KB, have searched the site numerous times and read the existing threads, searched Google profusely, etc.

2. Springtime

Springtime Member

It sounds like your car is at home - so your key must be someplace near by. I was under the impression that you needed at least one key FOB in order to program a new key - otherwise we are talking about huge costs to change something in the car itself to accept new keys - I could be wrong but, I thought that was the reason it was so important that if you lost one key fob you needed to get a new one programed ASAP.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can speak to the cost when you have no key fobs.

I am good at tracking down missing items - so maybe I can help in that respect. Have you emptied the laundry hamper and gone through everything that has pockets? Checked your coat closet for any light weight jackets or sweaters with pockets? The last time you drove the car what were you wearing?

Really think back as to the last time you drove the car. Did you bring in any bags/boxes from the car? If you are female - did you switch hand bags that day?

It will be much cheaper if you can find the key, so, you need to really think back about the last time you drove the car and retrace your steps.

Springtime

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Without a working fob, you need a dealer to reset and reseed the immobilizer system. The dealer has to call Toyota, verify who they are, and copy down a special code that is then used with their Toyota service computer. All of the steps take time, so it costs more to do than simply adding an additional key.

This is one of those situations where you pay the money and chalk it up to experience.

Tom