1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost my rubber

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seasidetraveler, May 19, 2006.

1. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, today the rubber front on my parking brake pedal broke off. I have about 32k on the car, I sure hope that the dealer will replace it! It is covering a very unattractive piece of metal- it's partially painted, particially bare metal- very ugly, and I don't want to have to look at it! I better get her in soon!

Anyone else experience this? I have never had a car do this before. Even my mom's old Chevy's that got up to 200k miles never had the pedal covers break off! :huh:

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Mine did it in the first month. I haven't replaced it yet. Looks like a poor design to me.

3. andrewgs

andrewgs I Pity Da Foo!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Darn, the topic title had led me to believe there was quite a story in this tread. ;)

4. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Mine has come off several times. I've noticed that, if I press straight down on the pedal, it doesn't fall off. If I press it at an angle, it usually falls off. Bad design. It does pop back on, though.

5. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AndrewGS @ May 19 2006, 11:37 PM) [snapback]258455[/snapback]</div>
    Wouldn't be a problem. The Prius seats five.

6. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nmrickie @ May 19 2006, 11:40 PM) [snapback]258458[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmmmmm I'm not sure.. Does this have something to do with being in the front seat, or on a bicycle? ;) ;)

7. jezroj

jezroj New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mine kept falling off the first few months I purchased the car. Noticed that part of the Rubber square where if slips over the metal had actually torn. Part is available at parts departmnet for under $10 ... slips on real easy.

8. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

One solution to this problem...

Never use the parking brake...

10,600 miles and never stepped on it..

What do you use it for? Do you set it everytime you park the car?

9. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I use it every time, I hate to see the car bounce on the tranny, plus I got used to doing it on older cars because it adjusted the brakes

10. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

dont worry about the "transmission" ...it doesnt have one to hang on...

11. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That happened once when my wife and I were first married years ago. It kind of broke because it was a cheap one from the military pharmacy and then we were worried......wait a minute........

Oh, you meant the rubber part on the parking brake????

Never mind. My bad.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If the P brake pedal rubber falls off, glue it on.

There are a couple of good reasons to set the P brake. First, it will keep the actuating cable from getting frozen/corroded, especially in saltly winter places. Second, it will help prevent a very expensive piece (the parking pawl) from needing to be replaced if anybody bumps into your parked car.

Strictly speaking, RichBoy is correct, the Prius has not an automatic transmission in the conventional sense. But it does have a parking pawl, and I would hate to see one of those get broken.

The only problem with setting the P brake is you have to remember to undo it for continued travel. If ya don't, the car will be awfully sluggish, get about 20 mpg, and the rear brakes will get very hot.

Remaxmanager, setting the P brake will not adjust the brakes, but driving a few feet in reverse and pressing the regular brake pedal will.