1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost our last fob, is it still $1000 to recover?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by oldPriusOwner, Dec 28, 2021.

1. oldPriusOwner

oldPriusOwner New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,
    My 2008 with smart fob is still running ok, but we misplaced my final fob. I should have had a backup but I never got around to it.

Is my only option going to be a tow to the dealer and $1000? I was hoping it might be less now that it's 13yrs old.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Do you have AAA ?

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. Kaptainkid1

Kaptainkid1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As long as you have 1x SKS keyfob left. You can program a copy via Virgin SKS fob for under $100. Here is my cheap ebay replacement and I highly recommend the Value and compatibility to an OEM SKS keyfob. Works 100%.

Has anyone bought a cheap SKS Key Fob off of ebay?
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://priuschat.com/threads/has-anyone-bought-a-cheap-sks-key-fob-off-of-ebay.221651/&share_tid=221651&share_fid=1171&share_type=t&link_source=app

Has anyone bought a cheap SKS Key Fob off of ebay?

Android ?

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe s/he is saying that s/he lost the last remaining fob, so s/he is facing an no keys situation.

I don't believe it has ever been $1000+ but if you have an incompetent tech, well who knows. I believe it will cost somewhere in the $600 - $800 ballpark to resolve an all keys lost situation that should get the car going with 2 new key fobs, if you have a dealer do the work.