1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost Smart Key...advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by widmerpool, Sep 19, 2006.

1. widmerpool

widmerpool New Member

i still have a silver SKS fob.

if i get a Smart Key from a 3rd party, will the dealer program AND make one of the little keys to fit in the fob?

how much should the programming cost?

i've been a consistent customer of one dealer and I have plenty to choose from in ATL so I will shop around if they try to rook me.

thanks.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(widmerpool @ Sep 19 2006, 10:24 AM) [snapback]321635[/snapback]</div>
    If the 3rd party fob comes with a blank mechanical key you should be able to get that cut at the dealer or anywhere.
    The dealers charge varying amounts for the programming... I think I've seen everything from $50-$190...it's definately worth shopping around. No idea how they come up with a number to decide what to charge.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the fob would already include the mechanical key. Anyway, yeah make sure you get it done before you lose the 2nd fob.

4. pirus_2005

pirus_2005 New Member

Cost me $236 Including taxes
    I called couple dealers and my dealer said it would cost me 290
    I asked him to price match the lowest (which was around $240 and he did (ofcourse $4 off :))
    call all the dealers around your Neighborhood and see if the closest one can pricematch the cheapest among th0se Quotes
    Good Luck

5. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is a little like shutting the barn door after the horse has left. I put my phone number (NOT address) and a "reward" tag on my fob in the event I should lose it and some honest person finds it. The fob is useless to anyone not interested in trying to steal your car, but most people would try to return it if they had a phone number to call.

Bob

p.s. Conicelli Toyota in Pennsylvania will sell you a blank fob for $166.00. You'll need to spend another 50 bucks getting it programmed. If you get another fob, your dealer will need both (all) the fobs together when he does the programming. I have three fobs and my dealer went nuts trying to get them all programmed until a bright mechanic figured out that all three needed to be in proximity to one another during the programming process. Why, you might ask? Each fob has a different code, but your Prius will recognize each code. When re-programming fobs, the computer needs to have all of them present in order to reset its internal recognition software.

Used to be that we were smarter than our cars.

Bob

6. justin96039

justin96039 210,000 Miles on our Prius!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why don't you take in your original, and your other one that you bought brand new. Replace the silver key inside it. Take it to the dealer and let them know its not working. Then it would be covered under warranty for the programming. My key fob did loose its memory for the car. This had to be done under warranty (the smart key wasn't broken). The internal computer just lost it. JW

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JWHybrid @ Sep 23 2006, 04:53 PM) [snapback]324062[/snapback]</div>
    That is illegal. It is theft by pretext.

8. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Sep 23 2006, 09:04 PM) [snapback]324092[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

INTERESTING - -

So that is how theft is defined?

What do you call the outrageous prices that Toyota dealers charge?

9. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fphinney @ Sep 23 2006, 10:35 PM) [snapback]324157[/snapback]</div>
    Here are the relevant California Jury Instructions:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fphinney @ Sep 23 2006, 10:35 PM) [snapback]324157[/snapback]</div>
    Have they deceived you over the prices they charge?

P.S. Obviously you have not been to a Mercedes, BMW or a Porsche service department, to name but a few. Toyota is cheap in comparison.

10. justin96039

justin96039 210,000 Miles on our Prius!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not illegal when the only thing you are doing is getting a key programmed. I have lost the programing to my smart key and this is what you have to do. You tell them it doesnt work anymore. This is not a criminal action. Its a warranty action. We paid enough for these vehicles. If I wanted to spend 400 dollars for a key I would have bought a mercedes. I bought a Toyota.

11. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Similar to Bob, I took a whiteout pen and wrote only my phone number directly on my fob. Although I didn't advertise it, if it is found I will offer a reward upon it's return.

12. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JWHybrid @ Sep 28 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]325086[/snapback]</div>
    It is covered by the warranty if your original fob lost its ability to communicate with the car. Telling the service department that your newly purchased replacement is the original fob which no longer works is a lie. That is a false pretense which makes what you suggest doing a theft of services, a crime.

I know people who were successfully prosecuted for such shenanigans.