1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost Smartkey! Need help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by credgar, Nov 17, 2009.

1. credgar

credgar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In the course of five months, I've managed to lose both of my smartkeys. I think they just bounce off when I am running. Anyways, I still have the actual metal key so I can still get into the car, but obviously it won't turn on. Is there a secret work-around to get my car going? I called the dealer and they said they can make me a new one, but it's a lot of trouble to actually get over there and plus I have to go to work in the morning. Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. datrays

datrays New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I really think your out of luck until you get a new key from the dealer. The mechanical key only fits the doors. If there was a trick the car thieves would love it.:rolleyes:

3. eyePod

eyePod Classic Silver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ouch! I don't have any suggestions but they say the smart keys are expensive.

4. R2Pre2

R2Pre2 Feel the Force!

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Having just experienced this myself, due to one smart key being stolen, you'll need to buy new fobs. They are expensive and not always immediately available because parts for the 2010 are so new.

• You still have your metal skeleton keys, right?
    • Do you have the little metal tag with the key source code on it?

Not sure if this will work, but you can find fobs for the 2010 Prius on Ebay. Search for "2010 Prius" then look at the "accessories" listings. There were 2 for sale today. Confirm this with your dealership, or perhaps someone on PC would know definitively, but I think all you need is the actual fob since any skeleton key will fit in the housing. Perhaps there would be some minor fob programing necessary. If this works, it could save you a couple hundred bucks in parts.

5. KJF

KJF Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check with your insurance company about reimbursement for key replacement. A friend with a Toyota Camry Hybrid lost her key and her insurance paid for it (think it was her homeowner's insurance). Worth checking on anyway.

6. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hmmmm. The OP lost 2 fobs and there happens to be 2 fobs for sale on e-bay... :rolleyes:

I'm thinking maybe no fob programming necessary at all!!!!

7. sciguy125

sciguy125 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I recall correctly, you need at least one key to reprogram the computer. If you don't have any programmed keys, you'll need a new computer.

8. ToyotaFleetManager

ToyotaFleetManager New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A new computer isn't necessary. What needs to happen is the service department manager needs to call Toyota technical department from the dealer's phone with dealer indentification information and with the specifics on the Prius in question including VIN and key code. At that point Toyota technical provides an reinitation code to the service manager which relays it to the technician on the computer plugged into the Prius. At which point the computer clears out all previous information and allows the technician on the computer to program a new key fob.

Much much more difficult and time consuming than having an existing key fob to program off of, but it can be done and will save the expense of new computer.

9. R2Pre2

R2Pre2 Feel the Force!

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It is curious. When I saw the fobs offered for sale, I actually thought one might be mine! :eek:

To clarify though, the fobs were being offered by different sellers, in different parts of the country. Additionally, one was "brand new" and the other one had "a miss-cut key" if I'm remembering correctly. And since I needed two brand new ones, this would not have worked for me. However, I did consider getting the "new" one to have on hand, just in case....

Homeowners insurance is a good call.

To the OP, best of luck to you!

10. Matuscak

Matuscak New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ya know, all in all, I really would prefer to have a regular mechanical key and a remote door opener than the magic fobs.

11. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Come on dude, it is one of the nicest features on a sub 30K car. Hands full of packages its raining cats & dogs and all you do is touch the back of the door handle, no fumbling for keys. What you don't have pockets or a belly bag. What do mean it just bounced off. Its not meant to be carried clipped to your belt.

12. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does anyone happen to know the part number for the mechanical key (blank) for the 2010 Prius?

(One of mine fell off and is lost! I'm ordering parts for my Sienna, and would like to include a blank for my Prius).

13. ToyotaFleetManager

ToyotaFleetManager New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The mechanical key for the Prius is laser cut and needs to be ordered from Toyota directly from the key code.

1 person likes this.
  14. James Leeds

James Leeds New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to read the main poster having the same problem as us. That the Prius allows you to drive off without having the keys in the car is a huge technical oversight - and for the second time yesterday we ended up in the countryside unable to restart the car once it had stopped.
    Only solution was to get the car trailered back to the dealership where they now want over £1,000 for a new computer! This strikes me as an incredibly bad deal - paying through the nose because of Toyota's technical decisions to not allow replacement keys to be created - even with the VIN number, logbook and proof of ownership available.

Toyota need to look at the both these issues: allowing cars to drive without keys; and not being able to get replacements without serious expense.

Attached Files:

15. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd get some another opinion about the computer.
    It sounds like your dealer might be trying to profit additionally from your misfortune.

As ill-conceived as the SKS is for the Prius, I cannot believe that a new component is required if both fobs are lost or stolen. I think that I've read (in the US) that a long process is required, but that you do NOT have to replace anything but the fobs when you've lost both of the originals.
    Refuse the repair and rent a car for a day or two while you sort this out.
    You'll save money in the long run if my suspicions are correct.

16. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Most home owners insurance policies have a $500 or a $1,000 deductible, so a claim is out of the question.

Also, a small claim is a no-no on home owner's insurance. It can lead to cancellation or higher rates.

Bite the bullet and have the dealer program two NEW keys, and make that a hard expensive lesson learned.

17. James Leeds

James Leeds New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
  18. haole man

haole man Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think you should blame Toyota for your own mistakes. If you have more than two drivers, get a key for each driver before you lose both keys and always have them with you.

19. James Leeds

James Leeds New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Fair enough - indeed, we are mostly to blame for losing the keys and more than happy to pay a reasonable amount to have them replaced. However, this is one of those situations where you encounter something that you feel is wrong (in this case, Toyota engineering a car to cost fabulous amounts for replacement keys, then not properly informing you that the keys are not present when the car is running) and want to a) help other people avoid the same and b) add your voice to get it changed.

Capitulating and paying Toyota £1.8k without highlighting the issues wouldn't have been the right thing to do.

We will, however, be far more mindful of the limitations of the car in future and look after our keys better!

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Both my gen2 and gen3 cars have warnings on the dash if I try to drive without the keys detected.

The dealer should be able to re seed a new set of keys. Call different dealers and ask about that option, it's what knowledgeable dealers would so

SM-N900P ?