1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loud CLUNK on accelerating from stop

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Hoosier Prius driver, May 17, 2021.

1. Hoosier Prius driver

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2011 Prius occasionally clunks loudly when starting from a complete stop. It feels as though something is stuck and then releases the second I step on the gas pedal, and I think the sound is coming from the rear of the car. It doesn't matter how long or short my stop is at an intersection, and there's no rhyme or reason as to when the CLUNK happens. These are definitely not hard accelerations, either.

I notice this issue when the car is being driven a long distance. It never happens on short trips.

Any ideas as to what might be going on?

For what it's worth, I have the car regularly serviced by my local dealer, but last year it look a lot of time and money for its service department to figure out that a "whump whump" sound was being caused by an unevenly worn tire, even though the tires were regularly rotated. (They replaced brakes and rotors first.)

Thanks for any help!

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    bad engine mount.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If possible, raise the rear (chock front wheels), apply/release the parking brake a few times, and check if the rear wheels spin semi-freely.

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My thought was something sticking with one of the rear brakes.
    OR a bowling ball in the trunk. :)