1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loud humming noise at 30+ MPH

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mjnels, Oct 4, 2016.

1. mjnels

mjnels New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello!

I have a 2008 Prius, and recently there is an extremely loud humming noise coming from what sides like either a wheel well or under the hood.... its kind of hard to tell as it sort of permeates the whole car.

My wife describes is as the sound a car makes when driving over cobblestone or bricks at high speed... just sort of a droning/humming. We have had the car for 3+ years about 180K miles on it.

I thought it was the tires, but after getting 4 new tires the sound persists.

It usually starts at about 30 MPH, and the strange thing is that it totally goes away when we turn even slightly to the right.... but when turning left and going straight its extremelly loud, and really annoying. Any insight as to possible causes would be great!.

Thanks for the help!

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Probably a wheel bearing. Usually they get louder on turns, but not apparently not always.

Mine's doing about the same thing, no change on turns, not too annoying yet. Next time I rotate tires I'll check the bearings for play.

3. bikes4u

bikes4u Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Probably a bearing.. It seems as tho snow and salt areas are more susceptible to wheel bearing replacement my Dad is replacing his all the time where I've never replaced one even on very high miles vehicles.

4. jichi

jichi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Wheel bearing for sure. I been through many and unless your sure the knuckle is ok, it is better to get a used knuckle with hub assembly and speed sensor from ebay or junk yard but I would rather ebay becuase they give you warranty usually I had it for more than a year no problems just make sure you get it from reliable seller with good reviews.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.