1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loud Noise (from radiator fan?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by redrockprius, Sep 21, 2011.

1. redrockprius

redrockprius redrockprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A friend recently drove her 2008 Prius here from her home about 300 miles away. When she arrived, I noticed that the car was making a loud noise. It sounded as if the radiator fan was running at a high speed. I didn't remove the shroud to expose the fan but that certainly seemed to be where the sound was coming from. We both thought that it might have happened because she had been driving most of the distance at speeds of around 80 mph on a hot day.

However, when the car was started the next day after being off for about 16 hours, the same loud noise started as soon as she pushed the power button, several seconds before the gasoline engine fired up. Since nothing else seemed to be wrong and there were no warning lights showing, she decided to drive it home.

She just sent me an e-mail saying that the dealer she took it to said there was no problem. I know from the almost five years I've been driving my 2007 Prius that this sound is definitely not normal. In fact, if all Prii were this noisy, there would be no complaints about them being hazards to pedestrians who can't hear them coming. Can anyone suggest what the cause might be?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the noise is coming from the front of the car, the likely suspects would be the two radiator fans and the air conditioning compressor which is mounted on the side of the engine facing the radiator.

If your friend wishes to localize the problem I suggest she turn off the AC system. Then see whether the noise is present.

If yes, then look around to see if she can localize the noise to a spinning radiator fan.

If no, then turn on the AC and see if the noise comes back. If so, see if she can localize the noise to the AC compressor or a spinning radiator fan (one fan will operate whenever the AC compressor is running.)

1 person likes this.
  3. redrockprius

redrockprius redrockprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Patrick. I'll pass this on to her.