1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

loud noise on starting enging (and on restart)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by worrywort, Sep 20, 2009.

1. worrywort

worrywort New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius, package 5. I get a loud noise--almost like a loose engine mount or loose connection in the exhaust system immediately after starting--and for a while each time that the gas engine shuts off (to go to the electric motor only mode). The sound seems to be in the engine compartment. I open the hood and I'm clueless.
    This will persist for the first 2-5 or so minutes of driving (sometimes less, sometimes more).
    It isn't there on the expressway at 55 mph--and but it is noticeable if I'm parked at a drive-thru window or sitting waiting to pick some-one up at a drive thru.
    It isn't heard once fully warm with stop and go for construction work on the express-way.

I don't have a single dealer in the area who I can trust for work. (Buffalo).
    I have tried to get mechanics who I have used previously for non-hybrids to look and no one wants to touch the car.

I am a basic klutz and probably shouldn't be owning a three year older hybrid. I thought about trading it in but bought the extended warranty instead.

Should I change the 12V batter just to be safe?
    I am afraid of this car breaking down after reading posts on inverter coolant/batteries/transaxle.

I did buy the 7/100000 warranty but it seems, based on other posts, that it isn't worth much.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Based on how you describe it, sounds normal to me. My 2006 did that while still cold and then it went away... Never led to a problem.

1 person likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Given your description of the noise, I'd say that the 12V battery has nothing to do with that particular problem.

You might be right that an engine mount is loose. Can you demonstrate the noise upon demand, when the car is cold?

If yes, then since you have extended warranty coverage, I suggest you report the problem to a Toyota dealer (if not Buffalo, then drive to another city).

Why pay >=$1K for the extended warranty, if you don't use it when it can help?

1 person likes this.
  4. worrywort

worrywort New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's there more when cold. I can't always have it happen but it happens more often than not when the engine is cold.

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's normal for the engine (ICE) to be a little rough starting and stopping when cold. If the noise and shudder go away after about 5 - 10 minutes of driving, I would consider it normal.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What Patrick wrote. Not dealing with a problem will be more expensive than dealing with a dealer.