1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loud road noise and slight vibration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lamboalex, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Lamboalex

Lamboalex Hyper-Miler in training

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Starts getting loud above 35mph, local tire shop recommends replacing the struts- says they are causing bumps in the tire because the tire is bouncing along as I drive. I did feel bumps going across the tire when I passed my hand across it. Has anyone experienced this and what was the solution?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Yes how many miles and what kind of tires btw? Hope there not Goodyear Integrities. Thats the worlds worst tire. And the ones most likely to have bumps just because there terrible tires. Nothing to do with the struts. And they are really really loud. Just awful.

Since your tires are lumpy start off with a new set of good tires. Lots of favorites here, the Goodyear Triple Tread and the Michelin's primarily. Depends on how much money you want to spend.

New struts are very expensive. So make sure there bad. I doubt there bad enough they are eating up the tires though. Simple test is the rebound test. Just push real hard on the front bumper right in front of the headlight and let go. My car has brand new struts and whn this test is done the car goes down and comes right back up and stops. No bouncing what so ever. Your looking for no bouncing and quick rebound. If there bouncing with a good hard push they need to be replaced.

Good Luck!

4. Lamboalex

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry left out the important data..
    90k miles on the car
    40k in these tires
    Bridgestone potenzas with I'd say about 25% tread left. I'll push down on the car and see how it responds.
    Btw- he said only the rear struts seemed bad but was trying to sell me all 4(????)

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd try a new set of tires and rotate them every 5,000 miles before touching the suspension, unless the bounce test is conclusive.

1 person likes this.
  6. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are the "bumps" primarily on the inside shoulder? If so, check the rear alignment.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The bounce test will not work on Prius. It might work on a 60's vintage domestic sedan with very soft suspension.

If the car has 90K miles I would say there is a high probability that the front struts and rear shocks are bad. Unfortunately it is hard to tell for sure until you've removed the old parts and manually compress them, comparing to the resistance of a new part.

1 person likes this.
  8. ME_Jimbo

ME_Jimbo Junior Member

I have a 2006 with ~150K on it of mostly highway miles. Notice the past couple days a gradually louding noise coming from under the hood area, it seems. Usually when operating greater than 30 mh I can hear it but it is not loader when the window is opened.

I do not believe it is struts nor tires. Tires are quite new, perhaps 5K miles on them.

9. Lamboalex

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They Run exactly down the middle of the tire

10. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can also visually inspect the struts for signs of leakage. The Bentley Repair and Maintenance guide has a couple of pages with diagrams (taken from Toyota's own Service Bulletin), showing oil staining patterns and what they mean.
    Basically, a few inches of even staining above the spring seat is OK, but oil stains past the spring seat or a narrow stream of oil down the shock body are not OK.
    Handy book.

- D

11. jhigga15

jhigga15 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am having the same issue...I have 146,000 on a 2007. I have Bridgestone Ecopia tires... I just had them replaced and alined. I hit something and the bottom plastic low engine covers are loose... I think those are making the noise...

12. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My front wheel bearings used to make the weirdest vibrations at different speeds in different locations, until I replaced them.

13. trevor0323

trevor0323 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ursle you may be onto something.

Anyone who says replace your struts does not know what they are talking about. I also am having this same problem. It starts when the car is going greater then 30mph and gets louder. At first I was certain it was the front left tire, but then I rotated them and am still hearing the noise.

I would describe the noise as road noise that sounds slightly mechanical (a non lubed gear turning) sort of noise. I would really like to solve this without taking it in. My next thought was wheel bearing but it does not have any other symptoms of a bad wheel bearing but I will pull everything apart this weekend to get to the bottom of it.

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On a safe piece of road, try making a series of aggressive turns. You don't need to drift around a corner, but the turns need to generate significant lateral force to load or unload the bearings. Bad wheel bearings will be louder one way that the other.

Tom

15. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Get all four wheels off the ground and see if they have any axial play. Wheels with good bearings will turn freely and noiselessly, and if you grasp the tire with your hands and try to wiggle it side to side, it should feel solid.

16. DarkCargo

DarkCargo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the loud noise while driving was from the replacement tires I put on the car... not so... we placed the car on jacks, took the tires off, turned the car on & listened. Turns out that the sound was there & was more pronounced when turning left.

Toyota replaced the left front axle hub just behind the disk brake. Warranty item. Apparently, moisture somehow got into the hub & corrosion took hold... the source of the noise. My car is now very quiet like it was when new.