1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loud sound 20s after powering on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kubi, Apr 26, 2018.

1. kubi

kubi New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2007 Prius with 96k miles. It was driving fine until yesterday evening at 10 pm. This morning around 6 am it started up and 20-30 seconds after powering on, the car made an enormously loud sound like a motorcycle. I powered the car down and back on a few times, but it kept happening. I drove the car around the block, but the sound wouldn't dissipate at all. I'm in Los Angeles and there haven't been any unnatural weather changes lately, and this car gets driven every day. I'm planning on taking the car into the dealer later today, but does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this? I'm trying to see if it's safe to drive to the dealer or if it should be towed. Thanks for the help!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Take a look under the car and see if someone has borrowed your exhaust system :mad:

m.wynn, Prodigyplace and bisco like this.
  3. kubi

kubi New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rats. You're right, my catalytic converter is gone. Thanks for the help! Do you know if dealer replacement is the only good option for this type of scenario?

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for your loss, but it could get worse if you're hit again after a dealer replacement at $1300+

CA and NY are currently the only states that don't allow non approved cats to be sold, shipped into or installed on a Prius (fines for those involved, including those selling/installing **used** OEM cats). So, the dealer option is the way the state wants you to proceed.

You might be able to find a used cat online (I've seen them before), but finding someone to install it could be tricky.

Another option is across one of the borders (AZ, NV or MX), either bring along a used cat or find one locally and have it installed there.

A riskier option would be to obtain and install an aftermarket cat and pray you pass the visual on your next smog. The last smog I had, the tech looked under the vehicle with a telescoping mirror. I assume had the tech seen a non OEM cat I would've failed the visual. The positive for installing aftermarket is a savings of over 1k, the only negative that I'm aware is not passing the smog (no fine for the vehicle owner).

** all of this information could be incorrect **

m.wynn likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, good call.(y) sorry for your trouble o/p!

m.wynn and Prodigyplace like this.