1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loud vibrating sound on starting after replacement of a headlight

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DD1, Oct 10, 2018.

1. DD1

DD1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I had a fender bender on the front passenger side corner and the mechanic replaced the bumper, fender, and the headlight (the latter with a non-original headlight). After the repair the car started emitting an occasional loud vibrating noise when starting the car or stopping for longer than a minute (though it does not happen always but only occasionally and only when the car is warm and the headlights are on). It lasts for a few seconds and comes directly from the area around the new headlight. The technician traced the issue to a connection between the light and the car, but as far as I can tell he has not repaired many Priuses and can not figure out how to fix the problem. The connection is not obviously loose. I have an mp3 recording of the sound, but I am not sure how to post it. Has anyone had a similar problem? I have a 2008 Prius which never had any issues prior to this body work.

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Vibration sounds usu due to something being loose.
    Parts were replaced. (Likely something not screwed/bolted down correctly.

Noise could be coming from the replaced part(s) not being screwed/bolted down correctly. Or maybe all the plastic lining (fender, undercarraige) that was not secured properly.

Take off all these parts and reattach one by one.

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Try taking the back side of your fist and bang on the headlight assembly around where the repairs were made. That should create some vibration and you might get lucky.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    who paid for the repair? if insurance, take it to a dealer.