1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Louder Horn Available?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Whiteyprius, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is there a louder horn that is available for the Prius? The few times I've seriously needed a horn, 'ol Whitey's seemed a bit wimpish. Any suggestion?:confused:

2. Picasso Moon

Picasso Moon Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I picked up a pair of used horns from a late model Camry off of Ebay for my 2006. Less than $20 as I recall. Installation was 100% plug and play and took 15 minutes, tops. Much more of a "honk" now than the stock "beep". I know others have installed 3rd party horns. Maybe they will chime in or maybe do a search.

3. dumas

dumas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm still thinking on what I want to replace the whimpy stock horn. would really like semi truck or train air horns!!

Denis Balan likes this.
  5. vuapplepudding

vuapplepudding New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I used to feel that way until I installed my air horns from Harbor Freight Tools. They take a 40 amp compressor, so this is NOT plug & play. I think the factory fuse is set at 15AMPs so you have to run an extra power line and use the provided relay.

Well worth it. When those cars that used to cut me off now hear this semi horn blast, they think twice about changing lanes recklessly. Or at least now they make sure there is safe passing distance.

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" by Muhammad Ali

6. Raider

Raider New Member

I disconnected both OEM horns and installed Hella (118dB) air horns, compressor, and separate power source.

I removed plastic radiator covering, mounted air horns downward in open area, in front of the radiator, mounted compressor and relay on the vertical support. Power comes from the main fuse box, with separate 25amp fuse for air horn relay, as recommended in the installation instructions. Horn signal is used to activate relay, power from fuse box is used to power air horns.

I don't have any pictures of the installation but I enjoy using the air horns in parking structures and tunnels, whenever possible.

I'm thinking about upgrading to even louder horns or musical horns, like "the Dukes of Hazzard". (Anybody seen a Prius with the Confederate flag on the roof?)

If necessary, I could install a DPDT switch to manually select which horns are connected.

7. m2mazda6

m2mazda6 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    you can go to auto parts store and get a set thats what I did for my Miata I believe there the same horns in a buick, when I get my Prius O buy the way tomorrow I pick it up :D I will do the same

8. Whiteyprius

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you get it yesterday, huh? huh? Did you get it - I hope so - ENJOY!:D

9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I want a big nice person fire engine horn in my Prii so I can sneak up in electric mode on small children and ol' Grannies in the parking lots and scare the devil out of them! :fear: :pound:

Wildkow

10. m2mazda6

m2mazda6 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes I got it Wednesday every thing went great, the 37 mile home ride I got 38 miles to gal. drove great

11. Whiteyprius

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations!:D:D