1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LOVE my car! These are my only complaints so far..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by StarBrite310, Feb 22, 2006.

1. StarBrite310

StarBrite310 ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So I have had my Prius for a month now and I absolutely love it. Of course I have my complaints though. From what I can remember off the top of my head here they are in no particular order:

1. I wish I can see the hood/front of car better so when I drive in a parking spot, I know how far I can go without hitting what's in front of me. Sometimes I am very far away and I thought I for sure was very close. You know what I mean.

2. On my commute home from work I unfortunately have to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Yes very bad for my MPG but also very bad for the way the car drives. I literally feel like my car is shutting off and turning on every second and it shudders very jerky and loudly. Is this normal!? It only does it when I am in very heavy traffic and the car has been sitting outside all day while I am working. It's very uncomfortable =(

3. Driver seat needs an up and down motion. I sometimes feel I am sitting too low to the ground.

4. Steering wheel button lights and door button lights are waaaay too dim.

5. Dash board lights are also on the dimmer side and well for lack of a better word, plain boring! One of my favorite goodies in a car is the dash and the radio and all of that fun stuff. At night they should light up and be colorful like in the cockpit of an airplane! Unfortunately the Prius lacks in this department. The green lights suck. No brightness ect. Also may I ask why the volume and tuning words above the buttons don't light up and are just painted white to see in the day? At night, even though I know which is which by now, they don't light up for me to see. Weeeiiiiiird!!!

6. The door has a small area under the window making it hard to rest my elbow up. It keeps slipping down.

7. The reading lights in the car aren't very bright either.

8. I wish the screen had more color choices. Green and orange just aren't enough! Why couldn't they have every color of the rainbow?? It would sure be cool to have the screen light up in pink for example :lol:

9. The car seems to get very cold inside. After I get in my car after it sits outside all day when I am at my office working, It's absolutely freezing. It seems like the car is not shut tight enough from the outside to keep cold air away. Then even when I have the heat on for like 10 minutes at it's highest, the minute I shut it off, the inside gets very cold again. It bothers me.

That's all I can think of now. The car drives great, except for those monsterous shudders during traffic jams, but other than that, the car drives wonderfully. I am so far very happy. I have yet learned how to use the navigation system though because I have been too busy. But I plan to soon so we'll see how I like it.

Oh and I FINALLY got my AUX chord for my iPod. It's amazing!!! Out of curiousity, is it okay to leave the chord plugged into the AUX hole when the car is not running? Or does it drain anything?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. I wish I can see the hood/front of car better so when I drive in a parking spot, I know how far I can go without hitting what's in front of me. Sometimes I am very far away and I thought I for sure was very close. You know what I mean.

There is a marker that you can buy. Either JDM for the corner or make your own from Home Depot to attach to your licence plate frame

2. On my commute home from work I unfortunately have to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Yes very bad for my MPG but also very bad for the way the car drives. I literally feel like my car is shutting off and turning on every second and it shudders very jerky and loudly. Is this normal!? It only does it when I am in very heavy traffic and the car has been sitting outside all day while I am working. It's very uncomfortable =(

Not sure. It seems like your battery is at 2 pink bars and the engine comes on to charge it and to power the car

3. Driver seat needs an up and down motion. I sometimes feel I am sitting too low to the ground.

Agreed.

Ditto but I think BT is working on a solution

5. Dash board lights are also on the dimmer side and well for lack of a better word, plain boring! One of my favorite goodies in a car is the dash and the radio and all of that fun stuff. At night they should light up and be colorful like in the cockpit of an airplane! Unfortunately the Prius lacks in this department. The green lights suck. No brightness ect. Also may I ask why the volume and tuning words above the buttons don't light up and are just painted white to see in the day? At night, even though I know which is which by now, they don't light up for me to see. Weeeiiiiiird!!!

If you're adventurous, you could always disassemble and change the lights. The volume and tuning knob don't illuminate (and heck, they go flush with the dash) because you don't need it. You can use the steering wheel buttons.

6. The door has a small area under the window making it hard to rest my elbow up. It keeps slipping down.

Agreed. The Camry ones are bright and focussed. This one just floods your lap with light. I'm gonna change mine

8. I wish the screen had more color choices. Green and orange just aren't enough! Why couldn't they have every color of the rainbow?? It would sure be cool to have the screen light up in pink for example

I guess yours is the 06 then lol. We have 4 colours to choose from - beige, grey, blue and green and ours is actually the background colour

9. The car seems to get very cold inside. After I get in my car after it sits outside all day when I am at my office working, It's absolutely freezing. It seems like the car is not shut tight enough from the outside to keep cold air away. Then even when I have the heat on for like 10 minutes at it's highest, the minute I shut it off, the inside gets very cold again. It bothers me.

Yeah it's cold and it's just below freezing where I am but I'm not bothered. As for shutting the heat off, I think it lasts for 5 mins before it becomes cold. On the flip side, the interior is cooler than it is on the Camry during the summer if I were to park both of them outside. Must be the glass type cause the Prius has more glass than the Camry!

The shudder should go away after its broken in and the weather gets warmer.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, it's always hard adjusting to a new car. For me it was the steering wheel. I love that it's farther away. But it's thicker than my last car. And my last car has factory leather on the wheel so the wheelskins I had to add to the Prius make it really thick. But I'm used to it now.

>Arizona Charlie made me a great parking guide that I wouldn't be without. It's almost a year and I'm still not quite sure where the front of the car is. But with the guide I can park within a few inches of where my garage door comes down. Just awesome. I think Yoda makes one with the Hybrid lightbulg topper.

> Yes, it's normal. Not a lot you can do. What I do is not use the gas. When traffic moves I just take the foot off the brake and let it start to move. The gap in front grows, but often traffic starts to move again by the time I catch up so I use the brake a lot less. Of course, when the battery drains the ICE will come on.

>I've never had a car seat that went up and down. I'm short but the seat is plenty high enough for me. I make sure I can see over the dash and hood before I purchase a car. This seat is much better than my last car (Saturn SC2 Coupe) in that it sits like a chair, I don't have to sit down into it and I'm now slouched or crouched up.

> I'll agree with you here. Then again I've never had button lights. I do miss a light in the center console.

> Well, I have no problem with the dash lights. The lights and buttons in the center under the screen are useless at night. But I'm learning to do everything by touch with the wheel buttons.

>Rather than resting on the door sill I've been using the armrest more. But I'm short.

> I do have to put on all of the roof reading lights to read anything at night. I make sure I'm parked when i do.

8. I wish the screen had more color choices. Green and orange just aren't enough! Why couldn't they have every color of the rainbow?? It would sure be cool to have the screen light up in pink for example

>Well, I have Green, Blue. Beige and Gray or something like that. (2005) I keep it on the default Blue. Orange? Bleech.

>This is my biggest complaint. When it's hot the AC does a great job of cooling the car immediately. But when it's cold it takes forever to heat up. I am tired of driving for 5 min. or more before I feel heat. 5 min. of cold air blowing on me. But at least it's not like my last car. My last car you couldn't stop the air from blowing in. It was like a permanent vent was open all the time and there was no way to shut it off. Most I could do was move the louvers away and close them as tight as I could to direct the air away from me.

>While other's complain about the seats, I must say my biggest peeve is the heating system. I expect the heat to come on as fast as the cold. I don't expect to have cold air blowing on me 5 min. or more while I wait for the car to heat up. That's just not acceptable. I shudder to think what it's like in really cold weather. I live in So. Cal.

> That said, there is so much I love about this car I can't begin to list them. There is no perfect car. But what's annoying is so minor compared to what is wonderful. I am so spoiled I can't conceive of driving a normal car ever again.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I just remembered a tip I learned from Young Drivers. Use your left foot. If your foot's on the dead pedal, that's roughly where your front wheel is and see if you can use that to help judge where front is (roughly).