1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Love my Prius more than ever!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by galaxee, Jul 2, 2005.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey folks! Thought I'd share my experience driving a non-Prius for the first time since buying mine.

We went on vacation last week, mainly for my big sister's wedding but also to visit family and such. Since my friends and family are spread all over Wisconsin, we put over 1000 miles on this rental car. I believe I can comment on it, having driven a number of those miles.

The car was an 04 Chevy Cavalier. The first thing I noticed just looking at it is that the thing looked cheap. I estimated the purchase price to be around $12000 because it looked like the bare-bones base model. Wrong. Sticker price: nearly $19K! And for what you get, that was a REAL rip off. I was upset that we paid $250 for 8 days with this car! Made me very happy we paid the extra $5.5K on a Prius!

The dash panels simply did NOT fit together. The seams were so obvious they screamed at you. The "defroster vent" was a big eyesore in the middle of the dash and it didn't even point at the windshield! The vents did not turn off individually like in the Prius.

Now driving the car was something ELSE. I could not feel the steering respond at all. At first I asked my husband whether the car had power steering at all. The brake pedal also was pretty scary. I'd step down on it and it would stop going down. You'd hit the floor. And THEN it would start to slow down. You really could not feel any response on the pedal. It really scared me at first, especially after having the brakes set up the way they are on the Pri.

The seats were so low I felt like we were only a few inches off the road. Not to mention that we felt every jolt of every little bump in the road. I also hated the visibility.There's no need to sit so low! The engine was loud and sounded sickly. It hesitated to accelerate at all. The seats were also insanely uncomfortable. In fact, we've been back for 4 days and my lower back is still aching and I can't sleep right.

There was no trunk space, especially compared to the Prius. We barely fit our 4 bags in there! We only had 2 medium sized suitcases, a large carryon and a small briefcase and we had to really slam the trunk to close it.

All I can say, is that I was thrilled to come home to our car. We spent much more on gas in those 1020 miles than the total we've spent on our Prius, maintenance included, with a current mileage of 2500 miles.

I'm glad to be home.

2. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should have rented the Aveo. Much better car. Of course, it's not built by GM either, but the salvaged Daewoo company. I must offer you my condolances of being forced to drive the poster child of what is wrong at GM.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ouch. The Cav's one of the worst car I've been in too. It was given as a courtesy car. My gripes were:

1) that's a defroster vent?!?!
    2) Glovebox door was kinda cool. Old school style but otherwise useless. It's deep and has a light but it's impossible to see what's in there
    3) The rear windows going dow... what 40% of the way? You're probably better in a coupe

I'll say the rental Taurus was better or even the Protegé LX 2.0

4. senna4ever

senna4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why did you even rent a Crapalier?

I think the Prius has a really bumpy ride, too.

5. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ha, thanks for the condolences everyone... :lol:

We got the Cav because we were trying desperately to not spend too much on vacation. As expected, that didn't work out anyway but we did just barely manage to not come home broke. :)

senna, I'll still take the Prius ride over a Cav any day of the week!

Now I guess we know never to go THAT route again. Maybe we'll just drive our Pri next time.

6. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

Sorry to hear about your experiences of what's wrong with GM manufacturing. Suprisingly to me, the best car my wife and I had to rent was a 2004 Chrysler Cirrus LXi. Very comfortable, and lots of power...and not much more expensive than what a Cav rents for...go for one of those next time if you can.

Dave.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like we should make a sticky of rental cars to avoid or rentals cars to rent

8. senna4ever

senna4ever New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was once unfortunate enough to have rented a Chrysler Intrepid. What a POS. The car should have been named the 'Tepid' due to the lacklustre performance of the V6 and the crappy interior. Ugh.

9. metamatic

metamatic Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I had a similar experience with a Chevy Cavalier. I wrote about it on my web site.

10. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ha, that was funny. I agree fully. :)

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A