1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Love the car... but let's improve the driver's seat!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JohnCalabrese, Jun 18, 2004.

1. JohnCalabrese

JohnCalabrese New Member

[font=Arial:866ef6d518] [/font:866ef6d518] OK, OK, maybe I'm going overboard. I've added leather, tint, and a clear bra. It's a great car! But, my back just can't take long drives (over one hour) in that seat!:( Just a little lumbar support would be wonderful!

Does anybody have any ideas? I really don't want to carry around a funky pillow or towel. Is it possible to add lumbar support (i.e. built-in) to the driver's seat?

I know it's not a Mercedes or Audi, but there's no reason not to be comfortable! I know... let's create package #10: Leather and Lumbar Support. :p

John Calabrese

2. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a Seaside number 7. I use a matching blue pillow on the driver's seat. I got the pillow for ten bucks at Fred Meyer, and it works great. It has a rubbery side and a nice side; the rubbery side keeps it in place on the driver' seat. I too have had a problem with the driver's seat; in my case it was thigh support because I have long legs. The pillow does raise me up a bit and that took getting used to, but now I find the car quite comfortable. Have driven as long as 10 hours on road trips without discomfort. Much cheaper than trying to alter the seat internally.
    I added a few blue throw pillows in the back for color to relieve the sea of beige. Pillows are handy for napping in ferry lines and at roadside rest stops.
    Bob

3. Hybred

Hybred New Member

my somewhat expensive solution

I somehow ended up on an Italian website, ESpeedup.com and found this fantastic lumbar adjustable "pillow" for 55.75 Euro. Of course the shipping was almost as expensive as the pillow itself, but it is worth every euro. The fabric is not what you would call plush, but then unless you're riding in your Prius naked *shudder* then you won't care. I find myself no longer slouch in the seat and I can adjust the seat back now so that my head can comfortably touch the headrest. Here's where you can find it:
    http://www.espeedup.com/speed.cgi/results?...autocategory=C6

I'm certain they have many other modifications/enhancements that can be universally applied to the prius, but I haven't had the time to sift through their humongous website. I ordered the catalog however, so that should provide me with some pleasant bedtime reading. Oh, also I found an armrest on Brookstone's website that fits snugly between the hard burgundy plastic (Silver BC/9) and the window. This is usually where I rest my elbow while on long trips, muy importante.
    hope this helps!
    g'day

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: my somewhat expensive solution

Too bad we can't test both the adjustable and (almost half the price) not adjustable one in case the latter works for 'you'.

5. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    your local upholstery shop can install a lumbar support for as little as oh, $75, and up, with electric adj. or hand turned knob just like factory equipped cars...i have one, installed in san diego, it's super! there are many varieties from which to choose.

6. babesp

babesp New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    driver's seat comfort

I was in agony on my first few short trips - felt like an arrow was between my shoulder blades. I tried a cushion to raise me up (simulating my Subaru with height adjustment) that worked for a while regarding the pain in the neck but just was not comfortable. I too find the seat length (butt to knee) short. And I am a short person - there is no support under my knees.
    Today I took a long (250 mile) drive with two stops to walk around and arrived home feeling no pain. I don't know if I'm just getting used to the seat or what. I would still support a campaign to get toyota to include power adjustable seats !!!
    Is Toyota listening????

7. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I like the seats just the way they are.

8. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd like the seats just a bit lower, and maybe able to go back one more notch.

But it's not too bad, I've taken it on some fairly long drives (driving 2000km to California next weekend), so I'll evaluate the long-haul comfort then :)

Dave

9. casc

casc New Member

Guess it's a personal thing...
    Like mine just the away it is...
    Then again I've done nothing more than 3 hours at a time in the default driver seat....

cas

10. Batavier

Batavier Member

In the few test drives I made (most over one hour long) I've had no trouble finding a good position behind the wheel (I'm 6'2"), the only thing that could be improved in the next Prius is the adjustment options for the steering wheel. Now you can only tilt it a bit, and not high enough. It should be able to raise it a bit higher and pull it a bit closer so to speak.

I like the firmness of the seats.

11. jchu

jchu New Member

Just a General Foint on Airbag Equipped Steering Wheels.

When I was in driver's ed, we learned to hold the steering wheel at 10:00 and 2:00 o'clock. However, with the advent of airbags, this recommendation has been changed to 4:00 and 8:00 o'clock. This is due to what happens when the airbag deploys. If one uses the old 10:00 / 2:00 when the steering wheel airbag deploys one arms can get pushed into ones face, causing injury. When held at 4:00 / 8:00 they get pushed down and away. My wife, an ER nurse, has seen the evidence and I'm sure Evan Fusco, has seen similar things in his ER.

12. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i suspect that these seats, being basically just foam, do not lend themselves to adjustability. plus the motors and everything to make them adjustable probably add a bunch of weight...

i'm sure that and a lot of other stuff is coming up in fugure generations... as great as the prius is, its still a 'work in progress'

13. tag

tag Senior Member

How about 3 and 9 as a compromise? I don't think I'd feel comfortable with my hands on the wheel at 4 and 8.

14. woemcats

woemcats New Member

I drive with my hands at 6 and 6 most of the time!

15. twindad

twindad New Member

Instead of the seat moving back further, I would prefer the pedals to move a couple inches towards the engine. Don't think I'll do that mod anytime soon.

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, I heard my name involked...
    I suppose there's a minor risk with the 10/2 positioning, but with the rapid outward expansion of the airbag I think the hands tend to be thrown to the sides. You see lots of 'burns' to the insides of the forearms, but I don't think I've had anyone complain that their own arm hit thier face. I would add a serious caution to anyone who likes to drive with their hand in the center part of the wheel. I've seen near amputations of digits from people with their hands placed directly on the area where the airbag comes out!! :cry:

17. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Holding the wheel at 10 and 2 or even 3 and 9 give you the most control of the steering wheel if you need to make an emergency maneuver.

18. tag

tag Senior Member

Yeah, I tried 8/4 but didn't feel as if I had anywhere near as much control as 10/2 or 9/3. I still feel as if I have the most control with my hands at 10/2.

19. tag

tag Senior Member

20. tag

tag Senior Member

Here's another one:

[​IMG]