1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Love the new Prius, but the chemicals on the interior are Killing me ...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusmaybe, Apr 30, 2007.

1. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Every chance I get I open all doors and the hatch. I can hardly stand to have the windows up.

For a "green" car, they did not consider the interior chemicals and dyes.

Any ideas on how to out gas it??

2. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There has been a post and a thread about this issue before. I think most people leave the car in the sun with the windows down a bit for a couple of weeks. :unsure:

My wife and I didn't notice too much smell, and liked the 'new car smell' that is there; but a lot of people have complained on here about it, so you're not alone.

3. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Buy one of those inexpensive box fans. Open front windows. Open hatch (turn off dome and hatch lights). Lower smaller side of back seat. Prop fan upright in hatch to blow toward front of car. Use extension cord from fan to garage outlet. Crank it up full and let it blow all night. Febreeze all the upholstery the next day. Better... clean all fabrics with upholstery cleaner.

4. johnny51981

johnny51981 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My sister said that the stuff they used in the detailing smelled like grapes. But, I can understand how it is an overpowering smell.

5. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  6. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

I so seldom have a new car that I love the smell. I don't have new cars often enough for the smell to be bad for me. It's like eating bacon once a decade.

But if the smell irritated my eyes, nose or something, I guess that would be different. Good luck!

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hate new-car smell. It makes me physically sick. I doubt a fan would help much, but leave the windows open, if you can park the car in a safe place, and in a week or two it should diminish significantly.

I do not know if they have no alternatives to those chemicals in the manufacturing process, or if they do it on purpose because some people have learned to associate that smell with "new" and like the feeling it gives them that their car is really new. A lot of repair shops will actually spray "new car smell" into cars, on the assumption that people like the feeling that their newly-repaired car is "like new." Most will refrain if you ask them ahead of time.

8. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ May 1 2007, 08:39 AM) [snapback]433143[/snapback]</div>
    I have to agree I have always liked the new car smell. Its not something most of us get to 'sniff' too often so I try to make it last as long as possible :) That being said I didn't find the Prius odor to be any different from any other new car I had so I'm not sure what the OP is discribing. I'm assuming some people are just sensitive to some odors...of course maybe I like toxic chemicals :p

9. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darken @ May 1 2007, 07:35 AM) [snapback]433199[/snapback]</div>
    Me too. <_<

10. kdk84

kdk84 New Member

i just bought a prius last week, brand new (had 1 mile on it) and I didn't have any weird overpowering smell. There was new car smell but even that wasn't very strong. My recommendation would be to have the windows open as often as possible, esp. while driving. That should take away the smell over time and in the short run while the windows are open and you're driving you shouldn't be able to smell it as much.

11. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got slightly nauseous in the first few days of ownership driving my car across the country. All that plastic out-gassing is rather stinky.

It still smells, but not bad anymore. I've just got the "regular" new car smell.

12. wayne60014

wayne60014 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got my Prius Touring Edition two weeks ago and have put about 400 miles on it. It still has the new car smell but not overpowering at all. The smell will eventurally go away, just like my 07 Camry XLE after a few thousand miles the new car smell is gone.

Wayne

13. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is it possible that you had the chemical treatment of the interior? My wife ordered that for mine and it stunk to high heaven for a week. I had three air fresheners hung in the car.

14. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Ecology Center said toxic chemicals such as bromine, chlorine and lead found in cars' interiors give off harmful fumes for three years, the Chicago Tribune reported.

The group listed the 10 least toxic vehicles in a report: the Acura RDX; BMW X3; Chevrolet Cobalt; Chrysler PT Cruiser; Honda Odyssey; Nissan Frontier; Suzuki Aerio wagon; Toyota Matrix; and Volvo S40 and V50.

The 10 worst vehicles were: the Chevy Aveo, Express and Silverado; Hyundai Accent; Kio Rio and Spectra; Nissan Versa; Scion xB; Subaru Forester; and Suzuki Forenza.

Jeff Gearhart of the Ecology Center said consumers can avoid the fumes, which are emitted when the car's interior is exposed to heat.

"Don't park in the sun, and if you do, use a solar screen along the windshield to reduce heat getting into the cabin. And before driving on a warm day, first open the windows and doors to ventilate the car for 10 minutes," Gearhart told the newspaper. "Also, clean the cabin frequently by vacuuming and washing the windows because the greasy film on the inside windows is residue from the chemicals."

I bet the Prius has the same chemicals as the Scion.

I did not have any treatment done, or pay for one - No Toyo Guard on this car

15. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ May 1 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]433382[/snapback]</div>
    Why not the same as the Matrix? Or it could different from both of them since it didn't make either list. Or maybe all Toyota's have the same chemicals. How reliable are those tests anyway?

If it bothers you, I would just air it out as suggested previously and I'm sure the noticable smell will be gone in a few weeks. It will be 1 month tomorrow since I picked mine up (came direct to dealer from the factory for me) and I can barely even notice the smell any more. I never did anything special to air it out.

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darken @ May 1 2007, 07:35 AM) [snapback]433199[/snapback]</div>
    Some people do. And that's a personal choice. But the "new car smell" should be offered as an optional extra, rather than included in all cars, where those of us who find it sickening would not have to smell it.

I agree that my Prius, when new, smelled no different than other new cars. It's just that I cannot abide that smell.