1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lovenox

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Feb 5, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Today I had to give myself two injections of Lovenox, one in the morning, and another in the evening. Just finished the second. The morning's injection site is nastily black and blue. I don't know if it's because I mucked it up (wouldn't be surprised, since I've never done this before and had nothing to go on but the printed instructions -- in particular I do not have a steady hand) or if this is normal. The instructions require holding a fold of skin of the belly while giving the shot, so that the syringe has to be manipulated entirely with one hand -- and no prior practice.

Tomorrow I have to give myself two more, one in the morning, and one at night. And then Wednesday I go in for my operation: a pulmonary vein ablation, to correct my atrial fibrillation. The operation (according to my cardiologist) has a 75% success rate, and a 1% complication rate. In other words, it's pretty safe, but one in four get no benefit for their trouble. If I disappear from PC you'll know I'm enjoying a cool one on the slopes of the beer volcano.

It will be a few months before I know if it was a success, unless I'm dead, in which case I won't know anything. It takes that long for the scar tissue to form, which will, in the hoped-for outcome, block the signals that are causing the a-fib. I don't care whether anyone wishes me well, or prays for me, or "sends me good vibes" because none of that is going to matter. What matters is how well my cardiologist does his job. And he is supposed to be the best in the region at this operation. It also matters if my a-fib is actually originating in the pulmonary veins or not. It most often is, but they have no way to tell.

Needles hurt. I just told myself that if I can jump out of an airplane, I can overcome my fear of the needle. I'm also getting scared of the operation itself. Not as scared (yet) as on Mt. Fear, or the keyhole route to Kokanee glacier. But it's still a day and a half away. When I went to prison I didn't really start to get scared until the night before I went in. Just as well I'm not planning to drive to the hospital.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Ack, I guess I haven't been paying attention. I didn't know you were having heart troubles. I do wish you well, but I'm not going to pray for you. ;) Come back soon Daniel!

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting that they prophylax w/ lovenox....not sure why for such a procedure.

And, as far as the good wishes I'll send them anyway. Medicine is not an exact science and even in the best hands, doing everything "right", there's an element of the unknown. So I'm sending the luck, it'll stick even if you don't reach out and grab it.

4. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The a-fib couldn't be corrected with a pacemaker? That's been the solution for most of the people I know, but I suspect you've been through all of the options a million times, and have picked the one that is best suited to your situation.

Best of luck; may the surgeon's hands be especially calm and your healing quick.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ask your doctor if you can inject into your thigh.

I had to give myself allergy shots for a while. I also hate needles. He talked about my belly and I told him I would pass out. He said I would use my thigh. So I would sit, pinch the skin up and then stab down with the needle. Keep your skin pinched while you inject. Then withdraw needle, let go and rub the spot.

You can practice the stabbing part with an empty needle and a grapefruit.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Feb 5 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]385891[/snapback]</div>
    Sometimes after an ablation a pacemaker is needed to treat a-fib. And rare cases are treated with "overdrive pacing", but, for the most part the heart beats too fast w/ a-fib and a pace maker is designed to treat a slower beating or non-beating heart.

An AICD, implanted defibrillator, is used for v-fib/vtach and usually has a pacemaker function as well. Most patients I see who have an AICD just say they have a 'pacemaker'.

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 5 2007, 08:13 PM) [snapback]385888[/snapback]</div>
    My understanding is that there is a risk of a clot, either from the operation itself, or if my a-fib becomes serious during the three days I am off Norpace prior to the operation. Apparently people who are on Cumadin, to prevent clots due to the a-fib, have to be taken off the Cumadin prior to the procedure. However, I was not taking Cumadin, because my a-fib was not that serious. So I was on 81 mg of aspirin instead.

The Lovenox instructions say not to take aspirin with Lovenox, but my doctor's instructions, transmitted via his nurse, were to continue the aspirin. On the morning of the operation I am to take no medicine at all.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Feb 5 2007, 08:14 PM) [snapback]385891[/snapback]</div>
    In very extreme cases, they will kill the A/V node (?) which would stop the heart entirely. Then they have to implant a pacemaker. But that's a much more drastic procedure than I am to have. And I don't need an implanted defibrillator because my a-fib starts and stops all by itself. The problem is that I cannot exercise while I am in a-fib, and that's drastically impaired my quality of life for the past year.

In spite of the relatively poor success rate (75%) I'd actually much prefer to do this, and have the chance of an actual cure, then get a pacemaker and have to wear it for the rest of my life, with a periodic operation to replace the battery, and all the worries about x-ray machines and cell phones and metal detectors and microwave ovens disrupting it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Feb 5 2007, 08:15 PM) [snapback]385893[/snapback]</div>
    The Lovenox has to be injected into fat. Apparently it's painful if injected into muscle. However, I am no less creeped out by the idea of thigh injections than belly injections. Otherwise, the instructions are as you describe. The hard part is handling the syringe, and pressing the plunger, all with one hand. And the mere idea of the needle. And the fact that I cannot look away, as I do when a nurse gives me a shot or draws blood. Fortunately, the needle is only half an inch long and extremely thin.

8. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Daniel,
    I'll keep you in my thoughts. Get back here soon...I enjoy reading your posts. ;)

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 6 2007, 12:04 AM) [snapback]385882[/snapback]</div>
    Well, OK, if that's what you want. Maybe I'll see you again, maybe I won't. I think I'll miss your posts, but we'll just have to wait and see. I'm gonna call you Eeyore when you're gone, just so you know. Enjoy the beer. :D

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 6 2007, 12:13 AM) [snapback]385915[/snapback]</div>
    Okay. Fat not muscle. Thigh won't work for you.

Well, your only other alternative is to do your own....buttocks. It would be no less awkward. At least you wouldn't have to watch.

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 5 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]385882[/snapback]</div>
    After almost 25 years of multiple shots daily for diabetes I feel that I can speak with some authority on this subject. The bruise is usually no big deal you probably nicked a small vessel as long as it is not too big, i.e. might want to have it checked if it is over say 3-4 inches. Check to make sure it is not raised up or hard. I always found the love-handles a good place for injections ask your doctor if that site is suitable for your injections. Ask the doc if you can take the medicine out of the frig 30-40 minutes before the injection that will help somewhat with the pain. Hold the syringe like a knife that you are going to stab someone with, i.e. thumb on the plunger all four fingers wrapped around the barrel. It may seem awkward at first but I think it will help with steadiness issues that you mentioned.
    I have been on the surgery table a dozen times, 8 times under general anesthesia. The last four times I was taking 81 mg of aspirin and the surgeons told me to stop at least a week ahead of time. So please confirm the instructions to take your aspirin right up to the date of the surgery with your doctors.

Wildkow

p.s. Make sure your skin is warm and moist, don't take your shots if you are cold. I usually tried to take mine right after a warm shower.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    good luck. i don't care whether you want the good wishes or not, you see they're coming in anyway. :p

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Feb 5 2007, 10:35 PM) [snapback]385941[/snapback]</div>
    I think the buttock is muscle. Anyway, I think I have to see what I'm doing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Feb 6 2007, 03:08 AM) [snapback]385959[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for all the info. The bruise is about an inch by 3/4 inch, and is not hard. So no problem, and last night's injection did not bruise. In half an hour I do this morning's.

The "love handles" is where they tell me to inject. (That's what I'm calling "belly.") The syringes are stored at room temperature, not in the fridge. They say to hold it like a writing pen, but I think I'll try your method.

I think the reason they want me to keep taking the aspirin is that with this procedure there's more risk of a clot than of bleeding. There's no internal cutting. Just the penetration at the insertion sites, and the penetration of the heart wall. But there is risk of knocking a clot loose as they thread through the veins. This is all speculation. I will double-check with them, and I'll inform them at prep of all my meds, including the aspirin.

Again, there's only a 1% chance of complications, and most of those are treatable. The chances I'll keel over are much smaller than 1%. And except for the a-fib and about 15 lbs of excess fat, I'm in very good health. Chances are I'll be back on here Thursday or (if I'm too groggy Thursday) Friday. Or soon after that if for any reason they have to keep me longer. When I had my prostate operation they kept me one extra night because I had nobody to look after me at home.

14. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I hope everything works out in the very best manner for you. You and your posts will be missed by me. Post as soon as you're able to let us know how you're doing.

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was only teasing you earlier, Daniel. There are people here who care about you, including me. I sincerely hope all goes well.

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 6 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]386021[/snapback]</div>

Yours, maybe.

:rolleyes:

17. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 5 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]385882[/snapback]</div>
    Ouch! Best wishes for you.

One of our cats is diabetic and gets a shot twice a day. My wife's worked at veterinaries for about 14 years and uses a small diameter needle, but the way Isis takes the shots I'd be ashamed if I said so much as "oh" when I get a shot.

18. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 5 2007, 11:04 PM) [snapback]385882[/snapback]</div>
    Well, in that case, I hope your cardiologist does his job well!

I'm going to wish you well...simply out of selfishness. I want you to continue reading your insightful posts here on PC!!!!
    [laughing]

19. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Whether you want them or not, I'm wishing you well, too. Here's to a successful surgery and a speedy return. This place won't be the same while you're out.

20. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 6 2007, 12:04 AM) [snapback]385882[/snapback]</div>
    It also matters, quite a bit, on having a positive attitude. Our beliefs and intentions have much more impact than traditional science and/or medicine might have you believe. So, believe.