1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loving my new Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by buffalo_mike, Jun 29, 2007.

1. buffalo_mike

buffalo_mike New Member

When my new '07 Prius arrived at the dealer, I had a hard time staying at work. I just wanted to duck out the back door and go pick her (the new car) up. I have two questions, first:

1) The salesman I bought the car from told me to not keep the car at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles. When I got the car, it had only 1 mile on it, and I have a few little trips (about 2.5 hrs drive time each) planned soon. As much as I like playing the "game", and trust me I do, (If there are people in the car with me, I have them applaud if the most recent bar on the consumption graph is over 50mpg) is that something that other people have heard too?

2) Also, I need a name for the car! I know that naming something is usually a personal thing, but I'm terrible at it. I had goldfish for years as a kid and I never named any of them. So the so called guidelines for naming are as follows: the name must be feminine, because I'm a dude and the Prius is so sexy. And have something to do with space/cosmos, because I equate the Prius to a spaceship. So post any ideas you have.

Thanks

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Buffalo Mike @ Jun 29 2007, 08:28 AM) [snapback]469962[/snapback]</div>
    Using that criteria: Uhura.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 'constant speed' thing is sort of a mantra passed down from generation to generation of sales creatures. There was good reason for it at one time, but in the Prius era it's not really a big deal. The ICE rpm changes frequently regardless of speed unless you're on absolutely flat road. Also, the specs are so tight on new cars that I don't think it would matter anyway.

Congrats and enjoy your new car.

4. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome!

Don't sweat the engine break-in too much, just take it easy as far as acceleration and top speed for the first 700-1,000 miles or so. The Toyota hybrid design is ideal for engine break-in because engine speed varies automatically based on load demand. Hold a mph speed over rolling terrain and the internal combustion engine (ICE) will operate from zero to moderate rpm.

Naming is too personal for me to get involved. You can give her a street name for everyone to know and you can also give her a secret name that only the two of you know. ;)

5. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Shuttlecraft are named for astronomers, scientists, and astronauts. Hence mine is named the Zhang Heng, a Han dynasty Chinese astronomer.

You could start here for some ideas. Hypatia of Alexandria looks intriguing, though folks might take it wrongly when you call your Prius "Hype".

6. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I love my prius too, but I don't get this whole naming thing. I've never named any car I've had. Do you also name your toaster, your TV, your dvd player? Where will it end? That's why cars have license plates, so you don't have to name them.

7. hobba

hobba New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    how about 'Mona'?

8. RobertG

RobertG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Jun 29 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]470217[/snapback]</div>
    Q: What do you name a dog with no legs?
    A: It doesn't matter, he won't come when you call him.

9. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ideas for a space name:
    Hailey
    Hubble
    Cosmo
    Orion
    Orb
    galaxy
    Uranus <-- my personal fave, that way whenever you look at it you can say I love staring at Uranus.

As for me, mine is Prissy.

10. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on your new Prius!
    I love playing the mileage game... a coworker carpools with me, and he's a real muscle-car gearhead... he loves watching my MPG.

My car is "Rudy"...
    If you ask the car, the car will tell you. Just be open to it, and expect that it may take a few miles before the car realizes that you want to know, and that you care!

11. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Congrats...I have had my car for two years and still love getting in and driving it. :D