1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Bars on Battery Guage after Idling a While

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Rory, May 9, 2016.

1. Rory

Rory New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I am a relatively new 1st time Prius Owner. I have a 2007 Touring Model, [69k miles] that I love so far, and have only had it about 3 months. I do Night Watchman work part time as a retiree, and mostly sit around equipment yards in my Prius. I've noticed that although everything seems fine on the road with no problems or unusual occurrances, that when I do start my Prius and let it idle, the Battery Bar Guage will after about 5 minutes or so, begin to drop, until there are only 2 bars left, which causes me to panic and start driving around to get the battery bars to start coming up again. If the bars go to 2 or lower , [1] and I don't do anything, will the Pius go dead on me, or will it eventualy kick the gas engine in to start charging the battery and make the number of bars go up? I don't want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere, and when I do idle, it's just to throw on a little heat, or have the radio on, no lights . thanks..

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No offence, but sitting in a cosy car with the radio playing seems like a pretty slack watchman gig.

mmmodem and WilDavis like this.
  3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no need to panic, the engine will recharge the battery. but sitting in a car is not good for health. get out, stretch and walk some.

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like a cushy gig! (Just remember to have the system in READY mode, so the ICE comes on when necessary, else you'll flatten the battery(s)!)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! no worries, that is exactly how the car is programmed to work. it's the most efficient use of the gasoline. to ease any possible future fears, you may want to leave it on at home, and check it periodically to see what it does exactly. all the best!(y)

6. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    It depends on what you have running. Keep in mind the Prius traction battery only has the equivalent 12V capacity of one big deep cycle marine battery at 108Ah... and it only uses 40% of that.

When it warms up, I recommend you run the discharge test in my signature to check your battery state of health. i expect you'll find it significantly deteriorated.

Computations for above claim:

6.5Ah battery * 200V = 1300Wh
    1300Wh / 12V = 108Ah

And technically, 40% of 108Ah is 43Ah, which is equivalent to a relatively small standard auto battery.

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Rory. Just make sure that you leave the Prius in P (park) and not in N (neutral), and it will automatically start the engine and charge the battery when it gets too low. Never leave it in "N" or it can't charge.

8. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, uart! I knew my post didn't look quite right, I (obviously) meant "PARK" - ("READY" goes without saying!) - Well spotted!!!

9. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing that surprised me with the Prius is that when it is on, all of the ECUs (computers) in the Prius are drawing more than 200W of power (IIRC, I remember seeing it measured as 250-350W). So if you're sitting with it on in "Ready" mode (mode you drive it in), it will drain the hybrid pack in a surprisingly short amount of time. It's normal behavior for the Prius to turn off the engine until the battery drops to two bars, then it will turn on the engine to charge the battery. However if you're in "ON" (from everything off, keep foot off break and push start button twice), the engine will not start to charge the hybrid battery. If you just want to use the radio, I'd recommend putting it in "ACC" mode (from everything off, keep foot off break and push start button once). Then you can play the radio without power being drawn for all of engine ECUs. However don't stay in this mode for too long or you will drain your 12V battery.

10. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    It shouldn't surprise you if you think about it, and not if it's healthy and you understand how little usable capacity is actually in the hybrid battery.

On a 220V battery pack, 1A isn't much of a drain, and it's probably closer to 2A. Keep in mind the Prius is powering the inverter coolant pump, ABS actuator, etc., all 12V systems, etc. There are like a dozen ECU's in it.

A perfect pack has 2.6Ah of capacity from 80% SoC to 40%. Assuming you start at the 60% SoC level, a 2A current will go through 1.3Ah of capacity in about 39 minutes.