1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Battery Indication After Dealer Service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by VARedDevil, Nov 4, 2004.

1. VARedDevil

VARedDevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I appologize in advance if this has already been discussed, but I just had the 5K done on the Prius at the Toyota dealership and when I got in to it to drive it home I noticed that the battery level display was down to two bars, but instead of them being green, they were almost pink, (and no I hadn't been drinking :lol: ). After I drove the vehicle for awhile with the ICE running virtually the whole time, the two pink bars changed green and then they started building back up. I can't find anything in the owner's manual about the display bars turning pink. I can only assume they change to this color when the battery has reached a "low" state of charge. So I have two questions:
    1.) Has anyone else seen this indication on their display?
    2.) Is this common to have the battery in this condition after getting it back from service? Do they disconnect the system when they perform maintenance?

Would appreciate any experience or info that anyone could share with mne on this.

Thanks,
    Red

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1)Sure, it's not uncommon under certain conditions.
    2)Almost every time I took my car in for service, esp. during my SKS issues the car came back "in the pink"...Power is almost exclusively from the ICE under those conditions and the ECU 'force charges' the battery. I have no idea how/why it ends up like that, they must leave the car sitting in Park or Neutral for a long time instead of shutting her down.

3. VARedDevil

VARedDevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks Evan. I wanted to make sure this wasn't a fluke incident and I needed to bring this up to my dealer's attention. Then again I should probably bring it up and see what their explanation is.

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Charlie, you wouldn't be colorblind would you? "Normal" is blue, high SOC is green. you would only see green if 1 or both of the top 2 bars was 'lit'. Then again, maybe it is ME who is colorblind! (but I don't think so).

5. VARedDevil

VARedDevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Woa, now you're totally blowing my mind...I've never seen blue bars on the display, they've always been green, except when they turned pink after the service.

6. rflagg

rflagg Member

Interesting! I'll get pink when it's down to two bars or less (looks more like a purple to me, but my father has some color recognition problems, so I'm sure that's me), blue in the middle (3?) bars, and the top two bars will make the bars green.

-m.

7. rflagg

rflagg Member

Oh, and check out John1701a's site, he has images there of the three different colors on one of his pdfs about the car - http://john1701a.com

-m.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The colors of the bars may also be affected by the user's choice of basic color scheme for the display (blue, green, beige, or gray).

9. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Nope. They are fixed. Green (full) Blue (normal) and Purple (low), but I've never gotten my battery that low, I've only seen screen shots of purple.

I happened to be messing with my color scheme yesterday. The arrows and battery state colors did NOT change. I've decided to stick with blue. It is dreary enough around here in Nov, don't need a grey or brown MFD as well! :)