1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Beam and Both FOBS quit working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pabulluck, Mar 29, 2011.

1. pabulluck

pabulluck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a problem with my 2007 Prius. The low beam and both FOBS for the car quit working at the same time. It worked the previous day as always, then the next morning, the car would not automatically unlock and had to use the FOB mechanical key for entry. Then I noticed that the headlights (LOW)would not turn on, but the high beams worked fine. Has anyone else had this same problem. just an FYI I have changed the headlights on this car at least 3 times in the past 4 years. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    John B.

2. pbbcpm6

pbbcpm6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wish I have a answer for you but I'm very curious what the repair will be. Please let me know the fix. Good Luck

3. gbarry

gbarry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe there's a fuse in common with those?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Find the button which controls the Smart system, located on the instrument panel at the lower left below the steering wheel column, and press that to see if the system was turned off. If that doesn't help, replace the fob batteries to rule that out as a cause of the problem.

2. Regarding the headlight low beams not working, the headlight low/high beam relay may be stuck or else the headlight switch is broken. The relay lives in the main relay/fuse box near the inverter. If you have an ohmmeter and a source of 12VDC power then remove and test the relay to see if it works.

5. pabulluck

pabulluck New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    FYI I was able to get the FOB working again by replacing the battery!!!! I almost had a coronary when it unlocked the door. I really had my doubts about it working. The low beam lights are still a no-go. Total cost so far to repair is $6.93. Hopefully it will be as inexpensive to fix the lights as the FOB was. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed! Thanks to all for your quick replies.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FYI, if you paid $6.93 for a single CR2032 battery, you got ripped off.

They're $1.79 + tax at Fry's Electronics around here. I was at my local O'Reilly auto parts today and saw a pack of 2 for (IIRC) $5, which is a bit high but not unreasonable.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They are 28 cents apiece from Digikey, although it doesn't make sense to order a single battery.

Tom

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow! Thanks!

Yeah, one would have to order a couple to make it worthwhile... Cheapest shipping for me is $2.41 for 8 ounces.