1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low low milage in cite, high high on high way

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gemiao, Aug 22, 2007.

1. gemiao

gemiao New Member

Hi everybody

I am so glad there is a forum for all the prius owners.

I am a brand new very very old prius(NHW10) owner. I've been having the car for a month and having heps question want to ask here.

The biggest one would be why I can get 54 mpg on high way but can only get 25mpg in town. Does it have anything to do with master warning light which came on the first day I own the car. I've been keeping driving the car, everything seems working alright. The 288v battery is holding charge good, engine do stop every time I stop for traffic light once the ICE warmed up and never had problem with start engine in the cold morning although the timing chain does make some noise in the first 1 to 2 seconds. I also checked AUX battery, it does hold charge well. Denso Spark plugs are in good condition. There is no oil in air in take manifold. Tires are under the right pressure(42psi F and 40psi R). Throttle batter fly are clean enough. Oil cap and fuel cap are selling good. Car has very good acceleration up to 60 km and then getting a bit slower which I am not too worried. Valve Crank does make some noise in the vvti head which sounds like there are some lose parts when I floor the car. The noise is not like worn lifter kind of clicking noise.

Can anyone give me a idea about what happened to my car.

Thanks

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The faster you drive the more energy is required to keep the car going at that speed.
    Hybrid drive preserves the energy you would normally waste around town, it saves the energy of slowing down to help accelerate the car again, it charges the battery at low throttle then shuts the engine off to run on the electric motor at lower speeds.
    If your milage is so poor there may be a problem but around town is very good.
    Noise may be pinging, try high octain fuel.
    At highway speeds there is less benefit of hybrid drive, all the energy to move the car comes from petrol all the time, petrol energy charges the battery.
    can you pulse and glide the NHW10? Can you do it on the highway?

3. gemiao

gemiao New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 23 2007, 07:35 PM) [snapback]500872[/snapback]</div>

Hi patsparks

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the car can glide up to 42 kph and then the engine will kick in and drive the car. And no, I can't glide on high way, the engine will stay on over 42kph. However, there is no EV mode for the car and computer can totally control when to glide, when the engine kick back in.

So you reckon the 25 mpg in town is good?

I read some people's topic on the forum about around town driving mpg. According to their experience they can get around 50mpg which is more than double of mine. I don't know what can affect mpg that much.

By the way, the engine is running really smooth, exhaust pipe is clean, exhaust gas smells really clean too.

4. hwalker911

hwalker911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One problem may be the cold weather downunder, engine should be warmed up first to improve mileage, and short road trips around town may not be giving you that time needed. Good luck, and welcome to the chat.

Happy Motoring!

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Michael, I read it all backward, sorry.
    Do you coast to a stop in town, judging the lights or are you heavy on the brakes?
    Sorry i thought you were getting 25 on the highway which is bad but 25 round town is even bader. (I know bad english)
    Does the NHW10 have a B mode? Don't use B mode except on long steep hills.
    If you are doing short trips that will push up consumption as will running the heater all the time. Like at home, put on a jumper before the heater.
    I believe the brake pedal is enemy number 1! Use distance to stop for lights not brakes. If done right the light changes before you put your foot on the brake. If you have to brake use light pressure over a long time to capture the maximum amount of regen power. This applies to slowing for corners too. Use up all momentum with moving not braking.
    Make sure the handbrake isn't draging, does the car roll easy?
    Accelerate reasonably briskly once the car is rolling not right off the line, don't doddle along.
    Good luck with it. Sorry about my cockup.
    Pat