1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low MPG, Low Acceleration, Battery down to one bar when highway driving, Catalytic Converter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Chris Jay, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Chris Jay

Chris Jay New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My car rides slightly poorly at low speeds (i.e. below 60mph) it's getting 10 less miles per a gallon than it was a couple weeks ago. When the car gets about 60mph (e.g. the highway) the battery drains extremely quickly down to 1 bar and when I push the accelerator down decently far I get a very loud fast engine clicking sound similar to this sound:
    The engine runs very poorly at high speeds (very little acceleration above 65 mph) always at 1 bar for the battery and around 25mpg. Judging from my research about the sound it looks like this is a catalytic converter issue. This was confirmed as well as I sometimes have a check engine light come on and the code came up with something to do with the catalytic converter.

I had to change out my battery, replace my air filter and had an oil change right before this started happening. Should I look into any of those as being a possibility (i.e. maybe one of those was done very poorly) or should I just get a new catalytic converter and see where things go from there? If so is there any advice on avoiding any specific catalytic converters? Also I do know that there is a leak in the tail pipe near the muffler, should I get this fixed before the I fix catalytic converter and see if that fixes the issue?

#1 Chris Jay, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  2. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Put in diagnostic mode so engine stays on then have somebody hold the gas down then pour seafoam throttle body if a drives better clould be catalytic converter was just dirty

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the oil level, battery voltage and air cleaner for leakage.

4. thatoneraccoon

thatoneraccoon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  5. Chris Jay

Chris Jay New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, can you please tell me how I'd check the air cleaner for leakage (or should I just tell the mechanic to check that). Also could you please tell me what plugs n boots I'd be checking (sorry total car novice here). Thanks!

6. thatoneraccoon

thatoneraccoon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Well if you have over 100k miles, I would recommend having the spark plugs and boots changed. Also would check out all the stuff Bisco is talking about as well.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That sounds like a fairly severe mechanical knock to me. How many miles on the engine? What is the oil level now, and do you normally check it between oil changes?

Your hybrid battery is probably getting weaker, and when it drains to a low charge the engine has to work harder. I assume you've had no alerts about the hybrid system, just the check engine light?

A clogged cat could cause rattling and knocking, so that's probably it. But you need to consider the cause of the cat getting clogged--excessive oil consumption or very poor fuel performance, thus the need to check plugs and coils (the "boots" referred to above) and fuel injectors, as well.

Before spending big money on a new cat, also consider the hybrid battery health and another possible major cash outlay.

8. Chris Jay

Chris Jay New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the advice. There is 185k on the engine. I did just check the oil level now and it is close to the second dot (about 8/10 of the way up between the first dot and the second dot). @andrewcalus that makes sense about trying to figure out what the root cause of cat clog is, I have no hybrid battery lights, just the check engine light. I did just have my air filter installed the day before this started getting bad but I don't know how to check that it is correctly installed so I'll ask a mechanic to check that. Spark plugs and coils are an interesting idea. How would I check the hybrid battery health?

Also as noted before I have a small leak in the muffler connection near the back of the car, but I had two mechanics look at it and neither said that it looked horrible just that it should be replaced before next years inspection. Would that possibly have been the cause?

#8 Chris Jay, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  9. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Two signs of the hybrid battery getting weaker are rapid changes in the state of charge indicator bars, and the cooling vent fan running often (grille on the right side of the back seat.

If that were an exhaust leak, it would be up front before the muffler, and you'd probably hear it under more conditions. And it wouldn't cause low acceleration.

Oil level sounds good now, but do you check it regularly, and have you checked it before your oil change? The oil quantity between the dots is about 1.6 quarts.

10. Chris Jay

Chris Jay New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No I don't check the oil regularly. Also now that you mention it my battery has been charging very quickly too... I accidentally ran the battery out a couple weeks ago (ran out of gas and then the hybrid battery ran out as well). Since then I have replaced the 12volt but I didn't think running out the hybrid battery could do any serious damage to it.

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get in the habit of checking your oil every 1500 - 2000 mi. But not only that, get in the habit of topping it up if it is any lower than what you have, add about 5 fl oz at a time then check. You will get good at estimating how much you need real quick. Do NOT over fill. If in doubt a little under (1/10) is better than 2/10 over.
    Think again!

How did you get going again after running the HV battery flat? If it didn't need to be charged externally, you're probably ok. But an Out Of Gas situation in a Gen II will allow the HV Battery to go right down to 0% SOC, from which you cannot get going again without a tow to Toyota for the HV battery to be charged.

12. Chris Jay

Chris Jay New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @dolj Thanks for the oil advice, I'll follow that in the future. Yeah I think the HV battery did go down to 0% in a failed attempt to get to a gas station and the only way I could get going again was to have the triple a person jump the card from under the front hood. The battery "seems" to be running a little poorly on stop and go traffic (maybe 35mpg) but extremely poorly on the highway (goes down to one purple bar within a 1/3 mile and stays that way the whole highway trip. The car has very little acceleration on the highway and makes that weird catalytic converter sound. Would you recommend I take it to a toyota dealership to have them take a look at the battery, and if so what should I expect to be in for?

13. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you go to the dealer with this problem, expect a $100+ diagnostic fee (which may be applied to repair work), and a battery replacement cost estimate in excess of $3500. Your catalytic converter also probably need to be replaced, and the dealer will probably want well over $1000 for that.

The market value for this car, the way it drives now, is probably about $1000, and that's what the dealer may offer for trade in.

If you don't have work done, you'll owe them at least $100 for the diagnostic.

Sorry for the bad news, but you asked....

14. Chris Jay

Chris Jay New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gotcha, that makes sense. So being in my situation maybe my best bet would be to have the catalytic converter replaced at my local shop that said they could do it for $600 and then hope that was the issue and that the battery isn't in too bad condition. Or would you recommend a different course of action?

15. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That might work out. You can research your battery repair/replace options here, and budget accordingly. Some folks repair them for under $100 and a lot of labor, some will take a chance on a $1000 rebuild with a limited warranty, some will invest $400 in a grid charging system. All those options entail more risk for the cost savings.

Aftermarket cats can be gotten for a lower price, around $250 I hear, if you can find someone to install it, maybe around $100 shop time. That will depend on your local emissions testing and inspection program, too.

Remember we don't really know why the cat failed. A common cause could be excessive oil consumption, another is unburned fuel. Or there's physical damage and a replacement will take care of it.

16. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And please, don't make a major decision based on solely my input. I'm just a guy on the internet. Hopefully others will chime in with their suggestions.

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you were able to get going after a jump, then your HV battery did not run down under 40% SoC. This is represented by the lowest (purple) bar. If you went lower than that you would have needed an external charge to get it back up to at least 40% to get the car started. The fact you did not need an external charge on the HV battery means it did not happen, so this event is probably unrelated. What it does point to is problems with the auxiliary 12 V battery.
    This does point to problems with the HV battery.

If you take it to Toyota, there is only one course of action that they can take. If there are HV battery related codes, they will replace the battery. If there are no HV battery related codes, they will do nothing. The cost for placing the HV battery varies, so it pays to shop around. The cheapest I've seen reported on here for a Toyota shop on here (excluding goodwill contributions from Toyota HQ) are ~$2800 up to a worse case scenario of ~$4500.

Going back to the loud knocking noise on acceleration, aside from replacing the battery, your engine may be shot. This could be due tot a low engine oil event sometime in the past or it could be from all the extra work the ICE is now doing to compensate for the bad HV battery.

In any case you need to seriously weigh up what you might spend vs cutting your losses and moving on. 185,000 miles is a good run.

#17 dolj, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Data Daedalus likes this.
  18. Chris Jay

Chris Jay New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks @dolj yes my thought was the 12v battery as well. I got that replaced after the incident and the old one was "shot" according to the tech so the 12v problem should be fixed now. I guess it's sounding like maybe replace the Cat and fingers crossed hope for the best. Thanks!

19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the code you got was a P0420, then that does not necessarily mean "the cat is shot". It means the cat efficiency is impaired. There can be many causes of impaired cat efficiency.

Would just like to remind you of andrewclaus advice.

#19 dolj, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  20. Chris Jay

Chris Jay New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks I do appreciate that reminder and I think I'll try to get those things looked at first. Anybody know what to make of the sound that I am getting (in the video above) when I accelerate? Note: I have very poor acceleration when the battery is low and the engine is doing the work.