1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low MPG on Prius?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by John Brennan, Aug 5, 2012.

1. John Brennan

John Brennan JJGreen

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I purchased a certified pre-owned 2008 Prius (4 door with hatch) a few weeks ago. I love the ride and I have been driving mostly around town with a few rides on the open highways doing 60mph. I noticed that my average MPG has only been around 33 mpg. All of the literature that I read stated I should see an average of 42 to 45mpg. Since I am new to the Prius can you let me know how I can get the mpg into the 40's or do I need to have the car checked?

thanks,
    John

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unless you're flooring it all the time, doing 80+ all highway or live in the rockies, i would have the dealer check it. that's why you buy certified, right?

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Obviously, there are many reasons it may be performing poorly.

One reason may be a nearly dead 12 volt battery. In a 'normal' car you would know it was almost dead by the "Ur ur ur" noise it makes when starting the engine, but in a Prius it only starts the computers, the HV Battery starts the engine, so you may have a dead 5 year old 12 volt battery and not know it.

One simple way to test this is by trying to use the power windows before you turn the car on, but there is a more accurate way as well:
    Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat

Another 'Prius" issue that can hinder performance is a dirty throttle body:
    TB cleaning

5. John Brennan

John Brennan JJGreen

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks,everyone. I will gather this additional info and repost more information. I contacted the dealer and they ensured me the battery was still strong but I will also do these tests.

6. John Brennan

John Brennan JJGreen

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Here is more information about my driving and the 2008 Prius:

The battery check did not reveal any issues with the battery.

- What fuel economy are you getting and how are you determining fuel economy? (trip computer or manual calculations). I use Trip Computer and the average is 33 to 36

- What fuel economy are you expecting and why? I have read my model Prius should get at least 42 mpg and I have only had this for a few weeks.

- What are the approximate outside air temps? usually 85 to 95F

- How long are your trips? 5 to 15 miles

- How much of it is city vs. highway? Roughly what's the average speed in overall and and of each segment? Is there a lot of stop and go driving? mostly city driving

- What region/state are you in? (if you haven't set your location in your profile) Long Island ny.

- What's the terrain like of your drives? (e.g. flat, gentle hills, steep hills, etc.) Flat terrain, stop and go driving.

- Is your oil overfilled? (i.e. above the full mark on the dipstick) oil at top of the measuring marks.

How old is your 12v battery? What is the voltage reading of your 12v battery after sitting over night? (Method Here) battery is alittle over 4 years old. the battery test was all in acceptable ranges with and without a load

Have you had your alignment checked? Any pulling or abnormal tire wear? Yes, tire were aligned by dealer, or at least they said so.

- Are you using the factory tires and wheels? If not, please indicate tire make, model and size (e.g. Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max 185/65R15).

Tires: 2 Goodyear Viva and 2 Federal model 657 of 185/65R

- What are your tire pressures? not sure, but there are not warnings on the Prius dashboard

- Make, model, year, engine and transmission of previous car? (e.g. 08 Honda Civic Si 2.0L 4 cylinder, manual transmission) What did you actually get on the same trips/commute? (Please give us actual numbers, not EPA ratings.)my old car was a 94 blazer s10 and got 12 mpg

- How are you trying to drive (e.g. trying to stay in electric only?) and how hard are you braking? I drive evenly without hard breaking and not fast starts

- Are you "warming up" the ICE (internal combustion engine) by letting it idle after powering on? no, not sure what this means?

- Are you driving using D or B mode? I drive using D mode

- HVAC settings? Are you using the heater, AC, auto mode, etc.? If using auto, what temp is it set to? I use AC on auto and temp set to 75.

- If reporting a mileage drop, did anything significant change on your car (e.g. accident, hit a curb or big pothole throwing off alignment, oil change/other maintenance/repairs, changed tires or wheels, etc.) or your commute? I only had the car a few weeks and used one tank of gas so not changes since I have the car.

Thanks
    Joh

7. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There are many varieties of Goodyear Vivas, so it is hard to make a blanket statement, but the Federal S657 tires are not Low Rolling Resistance tires. When you need to swap tires, much better LLR tires are available, you may get an extra 2 MPG with them.
    Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List | PriusChat

In addition, while Toyota's specified tire pressure is optimal for a comfortable ride, some of us here on Prius chat think higher pressures provide more load carrying, safer handling, and improved MPGs. It is hard to watch your tire wear over the internet but 40 PSI in Front/38 PSI in Back may be a good starting point. Lower from there if you need more comfort, or the center of the tire wears more then the edge You can go up (NEVER exceed the max load printed on the tire itself) if the edges wear faster than the center, and comfort is not an issue.

8. Tim Bender

Tim Bender Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    start checking your tire pressures regularly, and making sure they're where they should be.

9. John Brennan

John Brennan JJGreen

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I will check and adjust the tire pressure and monitor the mpg for the next week and see if there is improvement. I will probably change my tire soon and use the link provided.

thank for the great tips!

John

10. John Brennan

John Brennan JJGreen

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One more question, when I get new tires (all LRR), what is the difference in ride and mpg with the 195 (oversized) tire size and the 185 tire size?

thanks
    John

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    your first tank was from the dealer and you're on your second tank?

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We'd like to see actual battery voltages. But as long as you did your own checking, and are not trusting the shop on this (shop tests are notorious for saying the Prius 12V is good when it isn't), it is likely OK.

Numerous drivers start seeing 12V battery problems at about 4 years, but nearly all of this happens at the chilly start of winter, not the middle of a hot summer.
    Did you reset both Trip meters since buying the car, so that you are seeing only your own performance not skewed by the previous driver?

Are you resetting one Trip meter every morning, to provide more rapid feedback about your own MPG performance? This is a great learning tool. It also highlights the warmup penalty for short trips and the better results of longer segments.
    Short trips hurt MPG due to engine warmup. This is true of all cars (except electrics, which the regular Prius is not). This is very noticeable at 5 miles, but much less so at 15 miles. It is also bad on regular cars, but most drivers don't know it because they don't have an MPG gauge staring them in the face.

By itself, stop-and-go should not hurt much in a Prius if you can mostly glide to the stops. Racing to stops then braking hard, beyond the regeneration limits (watch the CHG bar of the HSI display) will hurt. Unfortunately, the race-and-brake style is expected or even forced in some driving cultures.

However, lots of stop & sit time combined with heavy AC use will slash MPG. The car must power the AC full time, moving or not.
    See the other replies concerning Low Rolling Resistance tires. These models will likely hurt a bit. And if either set is new, it will temporarily hurt a bit more, as all new tires do.
    The TPMS warning on the dash is not sensitive enough for MPG use, only for warning of potentially catastrophic underinflation. And it anyone reset it while pressure was low, the pressure will have to fall extra low before any warning pops up.

Get a tire gauge and get actual pressure measurements.

Please keep us updated with your performance and with new clues. This is a learning process. I wish someone could have told me the real methods to get good MPG thirty years earlier. The common drive-gently advice is seriously oversimplified.

13. John Brennan

John Brennan JJGreen

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I just started my second tank of gas and the first tank was from the dealer.

I did not write down the battery voltage readings but they were in the good range according to the link in this post on how to view the voltage using the MFD.

I just reset one trip meter so I will look in the manual on how to reset the other to ensure I am looking at my performance.

The battery meter is usually always near the top and sometimes turns green. I do not know what blue vs green mean.

I will update this post in a week once I make these suggested adjustments.

thanks,
    John

14. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Top two bars are green, you have more charge than the car really wants, it will do EV when it can.
    The middle 6 bars are blue, the car has the charge it expects.
    The Bottom two bars are pink/purple, battery is low, expect sluggish acceleration.

15. John Brennan

John Brennan JJGreen

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great, thank you for that information! Luckily, I have never seen pink/purple yest.

16. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    John,

Did you have a chance to check out your tire pressures? Your original reported mileage is ridiculously low, which would indicate that maybe you have multiple things going on.

Certainly non LRR tires will cause a hit. Underinflated tires will greatly decrease mileage as well. But even if you addressed these two items and added 7 mpg back to your average, 40 mpg is awfully low. It will be a long time before you'd ever see any type of alignment issue revealing itself on the tires. I suppose if you get new tires for the car, check out if they can do an alignment as well.

I'm not sure how you would check this (others would know) but you might want to ensure that your brakes aren't dragging.

You don't have anything like a bike rack or a storage bin on top of the car do you?

Good luck and thank you for following up on this thread. Please continue doing so.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just remembered that I'm speaking of Gen3 (2010+) trip meters, and don't recall whether or not your older model has two of them, or just one.