1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LOW MPG revisited

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by EllenH, Oct 16, 2007.

1. EllenH

EllenH New Member

We have changed the tires and have scheduled an appointment with another dealership to see if the low mpg can be changed. My husband INSISTS that after three years, we need a tune up! Tell me he is wrong please. He wants to throw in some ejector cleaner too which I think either doesn't work or could harm my Prius. Do the spark plugs really need changing or can that type of thing wait until the 30,000 mile check up?

2. ACORNBLUES

ACORNBLUES New Member

since you didn't give the mileage on your car, all i can say is follow the schedule in your manual.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EllenH @ Oct 16 2007, 05:36 PM) [snapback]526574[/snapback]</div>

3. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you buy gas from quality high volume retailers you probably do not need any injector cleaner. Some people will occassionally buy a tank of the Super Unleaded just because of the enhanced cleaners mixed in the formula. If you do buy an injector cleaner I recommend one from Lucas oil ($4- $5) you should be able to feel a difference. As far as spark plugs the Iridium plugs in the Prius are rated to go much further than 30,000 miles, I wouldn't touch them and just stick to doing the scheduled maintenance in the owners manual. More maintenance than what the manufacturer recommends is a waste of money.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At first blush it sounds like hubby needs a hobby. You only need to do what it says in the Prius Scheduled Maintenance book. (By The Way, be certain to name each of those items explcitly to the service writer; if you say "gimme the 30,000 miles service" most dealers will charge you for their pre-defined grab-bag generic package of services, many of which are not needed or which cannot even be performed on a Prius, which thus makes the package overpriced for a Prius.)

If you ever buy gas at a pump that says "Contains 10% Ethanol" then you're already getting the best injector cleaner. Pouring in a can of cleaner would just be a waste of money.

As for your low MPGs: what are you getting, and how much air do you have in your tires? (Tire pressure should be checked "cold", which means that the car has been driven less than a mile in the previous hour; it has nothing to do with the outside air temperature.)

5. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you canged the air filter?

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EllenH @ Oct 16 2007, 05:36 PM) [snapback]526574[/snapback]</div>
    Follow the manual. It's really that simple.

Questions:
    *How many miles on your car?
    *What kind of tires?
    *Tire pressures?
    *Alignment?

These are usually the places most folks seem to begin, when Prius mileage drops.

Also,
    *Has the mileage dropped gradually, or suddenly? Over how many (hundreds? thousands?) of miles?
    *Did anything change initially when that began to happen? Did you hit a pothole or kerb a bit too stridently?

---------

If you want to be really evil, just agree with him...wait a few weeks until he's forgotten about the whole thing...read the manual and schedule a "normal" service...then don't bring it up again.
    [sly grin]

Then, show him how much money you saved.

Seriously...usually things are the other way around, where the dealer is throwing all of these unnecessary services at me, and I keep saying, "no, no."

In this case, though, your Husband is a service manager's dream!
    [laughing]

Have him to be sure to ask about the transmission flush and fuel injector service packages while he's there.
    ;-)

They may even have some oil additives gathering dust on a shelf in the corner that must ---immediately--- be added, or your engine's life will be drastically reduced.
    [smile]

------------

Now, if you could only make it so YOUR mileage begins to drop, and Hubby will begin spending money on superfluous things for YOU, just to see if it might make an improvement...

...in my case, a tennis bracelet is worth at least 5 PGMPG (five Pinto Girl Miles Per Gallon!)

7. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Have you been checking the oil level after changes? If they are overfilling it that could be a contributing factor. If they overfill it enough the car could throw a problem code too. Just a thought.

8. kocho

kocho Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EllenH @ Oct 16 2007, 06:36 PM) [snapback]526574[/snapback]</div>
    30K is too little for the OEM iridium spark plugs. 60K is more like it and even that might be too short in some cases.

Injector cleaner of good quality IMO is not going to hurt. I am on my 2 tank of gas on a old-ish '02 Prius and just poured-in a bottle of Techron concentrated cleaner (treats 12 gallons). I did that because my engine is not running as smooth as I think it should be. But mine is at 116+ thousand miles... Will let you know if it helps any. For comparison, my '00 Camry is at 120K miles and I have not observed a significant change in fuel economy over the life of the car (got it new, always on proper grade synthetic oils).

Tune-up is not needed unless you have a specific problem and the dropping gas mileage may be it, but other things need to be checked first, since tune-up costs money and may not do a thing for you. On my '00 Camry I *have* to clean the trhottle body every 40K miles - if I don't my gas pedal gets sticky so this is the one "tune-up" item that I found necessary for that car, aside from the regular maintenance items. And the lost of my reverse gear at 120K :(

My first tank's mileage was actual 44.4 MPG over 400 miles (computer showed average of 54+ MPG, so it is overstating quite a bit). I was hoping for more but expecting about what I got - this is the "actual" mileage I see reported quite often. I hope to improve on this but we'll see - I do not like having my tires pumped-up to more than 38 psi front for comfort's sake on poor roads, but I might give it a try.

9. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The spark plugs are not required to be replaced until the 120,000 mile service, so not even the 30,000 service (150,000 in CA cars).

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Arh yes this is true, but since you're replying nearly four years too late perhaps she's past 120,000 miles by now. :p

11. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW, you are right. Didn't even look. But weird as this had shown up in my "recent forum posts" column on the home page?????:confused:

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah that is weird. Users can't delete posts, but maybe a spammer hit that thread and a moderator deleted their post?