1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

low mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by kalum, Mar 9, 2015.

1. kalum

kalum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    DEAR ALL,

I BROUGHT A 3RD GEN TOYOTA PRIUS ( 3000KM TOTAL MILAGE) SEVERAL MONTH BEFORE . BUT IN CITY DRIVING IT DOES 12KM PER/LITER AND HIGHWAY DRIVING IT DOES 22KM/LITER WITH A/C ON IN ECO MODE

IS THIS NORMAL BECAUSE I FEEL 12KM/LITER IS VERY LOW PLS GIVE ME SOME ADVICE. I HAVE ATTACHED LINK FOR MY FUEL-UPS

http://www.fuelly.co...kalum123/319678

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is that in mpg? certainly sounds like a large discrepancy.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are hundreds of similar posts on here about this. I'm guessing you've got an import from Japan? If so, check your 12v battery after it has been sat overnight. It should be 12v or over. If your car has been sat at the docks for months before you bought it, the 12v could have been run low and damaged. If it reads under 11.2v then it needs charging up with a charger and checking again. If it keeps dropping to 11v or so, then you need to replace it. They're a strange one but about £100 in the UK.

The other thing that makes a big difference is tyre pressures AND correct low rolling resistance tyres. If you're 1 or 2 psi too low, this can make a big difference to your economy. Make sure they're pumped up correctly.

Make sure the car isn't over filled with oil and that the correct grade is used. It is either 0w20 or 5w30 for hot countries. If you've used 10w40 as it was all that was available then that too will reduce your economy. The hybrid engine is switching on and off a lot and needs thin oil.

Also, make sure nobody is blocking the vent in the rear seat as this could overheat the HV battery.

Oh and try not to use the Recirc mode on your a/c other than for a few minutes at a time. Keep the a/c on Auto at a temperature suitable for your location. This will switch the a/c compressor on and off and vary the speed as required - helping cut fuel use.

Report back. (y)