1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low octane causing anyone else problems?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by tomdeimos, Aug 14, 2006.

1. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Today I took a trip to PA and got really bad mpg on a tank of Mobil from my usual station.
    It normally gets me reasonable mpg. mpg drop was noticable soon as I filled up.

Arrived in PA with 52.8 mpg, my worst ever for a long trip. Speeds were mostly 65 mph. There was no wind that I could detect. Temperatures mostly low 70s.

I was down to about 1/2 tank so I filled up in PA and used Shell premium fuel. MPG went to the best I've ever had on a trip like this. 59 mpg!

This was what I read at about the CT border! I consider the travel conditions similar down and back up to there.

At that point I got stuck in 10 mph Interstate travel so got off and took back routes home, where the slower travel and lots of stealth boosted my mpg a bit more.

Note my best previous mpg record was 59 with lots of this stealth and slower roads and also mid 80s temps for thinner air but not huge AC loads.

So today conditions were not what I find ideal. But I got my best trip mpg ever coming home. My first time breaking 60 mpg for a big trip. Heres the mpg picture as I arrived home in Lexington. (shows rt 2, 495 and route 225 travel.)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like you said, might be bad gas from that station. Premium fuel shouldn't affect the Prius since the engine isn't designed to take advantage of the higher octane fuel.

3. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    My vote, assuming that there isn't some other factor (or combo thereof), is also for bad gas. Although the Prius isn't like some of its Toyota siblings that are designed to take advantage of premium (via knock sensors and allowing the ECU to advance spark timing) to increase performance, it does still have a knock sensor, which it used to protect itself from knock. Sensing knock, the 1NZ will retard its spark timing. That should quell the knock, but will reduce output too, and impact mileage. I would theorize that you got some poor fuel, which caused some knock. Unlike in older cars though, you never heard it, since your engine "took care of it" for you before it escalated to where a human could detect it. Now, with some premium fortifying the swill you got earlier, the fuel is less knock prone, and the engine has re-advanced it's timing, giving you back what the earlier retard took away.

4. c4

c4 Active Member

All these are valid points, but my experience with Shell gas is that I consistently get greater mileage with the premium formula.. Although the Prius engine may not have the compression ratios to take full advantage of the higher octane level, the fuel itself may be formulated with a net higher energy content, which any engine may derive *some* benefit from, regardless of its octane requirement.. I think the old "rule of thumb" that higher octane = less energy in fuel is not necessarily true in all cases anymore..

5. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I agree the gas is bad. Back in the old days (pre ethanol) I tried out different octanes with no or minor effect.

But today with ethanol in the fuel this problem has happened 3 times and with 3 brands of gasoline. The other two times I boosted octane with a can of booster and also had less control over conditions, so measuring the gain was a problem though I saw improvement.

This time I had as nearly identical before and after conditions as possible. I also used premium gas to bring the octane up because I could not find safe boosters in PA. They seemed to sell just MMT for "off road" use.

6. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Have you taken this same trip before? Are there any elevetion changes on the trip? I ask because I make a regular trip From Boulder to Downtown Denver, and almost always get about 8 mpg better mileage heading to Denver than returning home. I think it's the combination of the prevailing winds and the minor elevation changes.

7. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Aug 14 2006, 11:57 AM) [snapback]303003[/snapback]</div>
    Yes taken the same trip many times either to the same place or beyond further west in PA or south to VA but still same route over the part I went on yesterday. Mostly intestate 84 through CT to NY and PA.

My normal mpg for the trip is typically 55 mpg and might get down toward 53 if it was very slow and hot like over 100 deg so I was using lots of AC. Yesterday in mid 70's at the peak the AC load was very light or turned off.

Lots of elevation changes for the East. up and down, but the end points are not that different. Road goes up and down almost sealevel and up to max of about 1700 feet.

I have taken the trip on windy days and had a few mpg boost with a tail wind going home but wind was very noticable driving and even then I max'd out at maybe 56 mpg. but got 53 going down with strong headwind.

So this trip I did better coming back with no noticable wind than the trips with strong tailwinds. And I was tired so if anything I went home a bit faster at least on the interstate highway portion, plus it was cooler which should normally drop my mpg a bit, since my AC was mostly off both ways.

Note my picture includes my forced off interstate driving due to the traffic jam, so that boost just helped me get a new record. I never broke 60 mpg before on a long highway trip.

The octane effect was the 53 going and the 59 coming back at the point the traffic stalled and I had to take back routes through towns with 30 mph limits between the 50 mph sections, and saw several traffic cops hiding waiting to catch anyone going faster.

So this 6 mpg difference is what I think was due to the octane or other gasoline effects. The other times I've had gasoline problems I've always seen at least a step change of 5 mpg for the 100 miles before fill up to the 100 miles after.

8. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(c4 @ Aug 14 2006, 10:01 AM) [snapback]302966[/snapback]</div>
    That's really not possible.

No Octane boosting additive that I know of has more specific energy than gasoline. 99.99% of them (I won't say 'all' just to be covered), have less.

What is poossible is that the 'mix' of oxygenates varied in the two locations. The US requirements for oxygenate mixes are an insane crazy-quilt. Maybe your initial tank was 10% ethanol, and your second wasn't.

The only possible way that a higher octane gas could give better mileage in a Prius is if you were running crap gas and had some deposit buildup that the detergent in 'quality' gas cleaned.

That's why the Top Tier gas program where manufacturers pledge to put decent detergent packages in all grades is so important.

Plus, high octane gas will damage the emissions control system in the Prius because it does burn less efficiently and dumps unburned gunk into the cats.

You can research all over the place and NO reputable source will ever tell you that you'll get higher mileage with high octane in an engine designed for regular. Just isn't going to happen.

If deposits are your problem, buy a better class of Regular or dump a bottle of Techron in with every oil change.

9. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomdeimos @ Aug 14 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]303028[/snapback]</div>

Sounds to me like this is all air conditioning related.

10. smackoww

smackoww Junior Member

i vote for 10% ethanol in the first tank, and no ethanol on the fill up. that would give you better mpg on the second tank, bc ethanol has less energy than gas

11. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

It's not ac related because as I said it was cool and I had the AC off just about all the way down and back. Temperature was mostly under 75 degrees F. I put ac on a bit when I got into city traffic near my destination but the low mpg was already well established long before there.

And all three times I added octane my mpg got better and 2 of the three it was just ethanol additive I added.

My bad tanks have been with Shell, Mobil and Hess so far. I don't use Hess but both the others are normally fine. I usually buy Shell but my local station is being refurbished at the moment. Chevron is not available here.

I have added Techron before and found cleaning made no difference.

Either we are not getting the octane labeled on the pumps or Toyota is lying about the car only needing regular.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    but... there is no more energy in high octane gas than there is in low octane gas.

regular use of high octane can cause starting problems- it's documented in the prius tech course manual anyway, and i'm sure they put it in there for a reason.

13. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 14 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]303243[/snapback]</div>

Galaxee-
    That is good news for me. I don't want to spend more for gas than I am already paying. The lowest price around here is $3.09. And believe me, I am spotting the stations. They range from the 3.09 to 3.22 for regular.

What is the reference to Garfield?

14. ekpolk

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Aug 14 2006, 02:33 PM) [snapback]303149[/snapback]</div>
    Sure it is, for several reasons, one of which you alluded to below. First, the BTU content of gasoline products can and does vary. But not in a way that would help much here. Generally, lower octane gasolines have higher BTU content (yes, higher), slightly so, than the higher octane choices. Of course, this doesn't help the OP. Second, the inclusion of ethanol reduces the BTU content of the final fuel product significantly, hence the now almost universal reports of reduced mpg with ethanol "contaminated" gasolines (OK, OK, I know there's a reason for it being there, but I don't like it...).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Aug 14 2006, 02:33 PM) [snapback]303149[/snapback]</div>
    Respectfully, this is incorrect. As is noted in several of the Prius maintenance documents, the 1NZ engine has the ability to retard its ignition timing if the knock sensor pick up bad enough indications of knock. Most often, that would happen as a result of getting a tank of subpar, bad gas. While the retarding of igntion timing will suppress all but the worst case of knock, the engine's fuel efficiency will also be reduced as a result. Thus, the mere presence of bad gas, irrespective of whether it also resulted in some deposits, could significantly reduce mpg. Then, in turn, with the addition of enough premium gas to offset the remaining poor quality gas (average octane in the tank increased), the engine, no longer knocking because of bad fuel, will automatically re-advance spark timing, and regain normal fuel efficiency.

I've been through most of the Toyota tech pubs on this car (visit techinfo.toyota.com), and there's no warning that premium gas will harm the emissions system. There are warnings that it's totally not necessary, and not to use it as it may cause starting problems, but emissions, where did that come from? Premium gas may burn more slowly than regular, but not necessarily less efficiently than regular. Finally, the whole point of the catalytic converter system is precisely to burn off remaining unburned fuel. Their entire reason for being is to have "unburned gunk" dumped into them, so that they can convert it into nice, clean, totally burned, no-longer-gunk.

15. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(c4 @ Aug 14 2006, 07:01 AM) [snapback]302966[/snapback]</div>
    Not possible, as far as I know.

By definition, higher octane gas has *less* energy content, regardless of what the advertisements imply. The products that increase the octane number contain less energy than gasoline. If your vehicle requiers higher octane, then higher octane will allow for higher power output of that engine. Higher octane gas will NOT increase power in an engine that wouldn't knock otherwise.

My vote: Bad gas. But damn. I want some of that bad gas that gives 52mpg at 65!

16. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ekpolk @ Aug 14 2006, 08:44 PM) [snapback]303264[/snapback]</div>
    You clearly didn't look hard enough.

There are several references to Emissions Related CELs from high octane fuel. They are directly related to incomplete combustion.

As for the rest of your points.

Yes, in extreme cases anything is possible. But, barring bizzarro gas formulations (for example, some using aromatics like toluene or benzene), or truely 'bad' gasoline (which can, of course, occur in any supposed octane rating), the rest of what I said is perfectly true 99.9% of the time.

17. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Is it possible that in PA they still use some non-ethanol boosters? That might also explain part of my mpg differences. Except I also did for sure get worse gas in MA since my mpg dropped a lot from before and we've had the ethanol stuff for a while now. I saw about 2 mpg drop with it not the 6 I saw this time.

But it got me thinking. I've always had problems with gasoline and octane! In previous cars I just heard the engine noises going up hills or acceleratiing and changed brands of gas and it got better. Most all of my cars have run fine on regular normally.

So now I just have to watch for the problem in mpg since engine sounds don't warn me.
    Whatever the issue it seems to be an intermittent problem and can happen with any gas brand or station.
    Be nice to have a cheap octane meter so I could check before destroying my mpg for the tank!

I'm also wondering if I can see the problem in my spark advance? I can read it off my can view but have not looked enought to know what normal would be for this engine under different conditions.

So far no DTC's from premium. And I had to use full tanks of it all during Katrina shortages due to stations being out of regular around here.

18. ekpolk

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Aug 14 2006, 09:14 PM) [snapback]303300[/snapback]</div>
    OK, I just went back to the techinfo.Toyota site, and re-ran several searches of service bulletins (a/k/a TSBs), the repair manual, campaign publications, tech training references, and the Technician's References, and did not find any indication that use of premium gas would result in emissions issues or MILs. I did find repeated statements that premium will not provide a mileage benefit (so at least we know where Toyota stands...), and warnings that it may cause starting problems, and one indication that it might cause misfires. Applying some thought to it, I could see where either starting or misfire problems might be read as an emissions issue, but again, no ref to it in the docs I saw. Look, no point in us engaging in mutual skull bashing, if they're there, I certainly could have missed them, and would appreciate you pointing me to where they can be found. Citations? Links?

======================================================
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Aug 14 2006, 09:14 PM) [snapback]303300[/snapback]</div>
    I respectfully disagree.

First, while the BTU content of various "pure" gasolines does vary, it is only slightly, and generally more BTUs in lower octane products. But now, with the introduction of ethanol blends, the "energy content" or BTUs of fuels is dropping, substantially. Far from bizarre, it's quite possible for someone today to get a tank of ethanol blend one place, and then get some pure gasoline somewhere else. This may well cause confusion as customers see mileage fluctuate, while observing no apparent, obvious cause.

Second, you stated that, “the only possible way that a higher octane gas could give better mileage in a Prius is if you were running crap gas and had some deposit buildup that the detergent in 'quality' gas cleaned.†That’s not correct 99.9% of the time; it’s simply incorrect. The Toyota tech training briefing says this about the knock sensor in the 1NZ: “The Knock Sensor is mounted on the cylinder block and detects detonation or knocking in the engine. The sensor contains a piezoelectric element that generates a voltage when cylinder block vibrations due to knocking deform the sensor. If engine knocking occurs, ignition timing is retarded until the knock is suppressed.†As this occurs, the engine’s efficiency and output will be reduced. If fuel of sufficient, adequate octane, is again fed to the engine, and the knocking goes away, efficiency and output will be restored.

Finally, you also referred to “dump[ing] unburned gunk into the cats.†Unless I’m reading this incorrectly, you’re implying that this is not a good thing. But that’s exactly what the “cats†are there for – to have unburned gunk dumped into them and then process (i.e. “burn†the gunk, namely fuel) so that it does not go straight out into the air.

In the end, I think we'd agree that there is simply no reason to use premium in a Prius, and several reasons not to use it. About the only exception I can think of would be to combat a known tank of bad fuel, which is not as uncommon (in the last two years, I've had two that should have been premium, but clearly weren't, in my previous car which called for 91 or above). If you had, for example, a tank of poor fuel that was really, say 84 instead of 87, and you could feel it causing ping or knock (beyond the engine's ability to adjust), a few gallons of 93 might be enough to raise the avg octane in the tank to a safe level.

19. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I'm willing to accept maybe I got plain old gasoline in PA and the premium fuel part may be irrelevent. I had thought by now the whole country was converted over to 10% ethanol.

I am still consider it a bit of a mystery why my fuel in MA was noticably worse than recent normal tanks.

Also in comparing a regular gas to ethanol gas I understand the BTU loss should be in the 2-3% range. But what I got was more like a 12% change in mpg. I then plugged into Wayne's palm simulator and got a similar mpg change with fuel type change. Not sure why the mpg loss is greater here?

I also read stuff about how octane is related to both burn rate and the detonation pressure and the two are not necessarily the same. This would appear to allow for mpg variations with different brands using different mixes but the same octane number. It would also appear that a slower burning high octane might be great for economy but not good for an engine used at high power that was designed for lower octane.

Then there is the issue mentioned of the anti-knock causing timing retard and lower performance. Wish we had a dash light flash when that happens!

I will have to experiment some more I guess. If I get DTC's from too high an octane the can view will display them.

Also took a look at my timing advance and I see peaks of up to 38 degrees with my normal acceleration and rpms in the 2500 range. I'll check this on each tank now, and maybe the anti-knock adjustments will show up in this.

20. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Just an update. Just posted my tank results on the "beat the epa" thread. Got my first over 60 mpg tank and my best tank ever, with the premium Shell. And after almost 2 years and 20k miles of trying!

My new tank is with regular Shell from MA and so far mpg looks unchanged for the driving conditions. Easily getting over 70 mpg on slower roads and high 50s on highway at 55 to 65. (This is all post warmup.)

I am watching ign advance and looks like it should be a good indicator for low octane problems. With my new regular fuel I can still accelerate and get advance up to 38, but with a bit more push it seems to cut back a little sooner and cuts it to about 28 deg. This is I assume the anti-knock protection and for now it looks like it is just barely OK in that it happens at an acceleration just a bit above what I normally use. I will now check this for every tank!

Been googling the web a bit too and I see lots of reports of others saying the ethanol cuts their mpg by 10% or so. And with lots of different kinds of cars. Others report no efects at all, and the Ethanol industry company line of a 2% drop is repeated everwhere. Some claim this number originates with the EPA and they just calculated it rather than testing anything.

Some places people claim to be able to pick either ethanol 10% fuel or ethanol free to compare back and forth.

Even E85 seems controversial for cars that are flexfuel with some claiming equal mpg and others claiming a lose in mpg. But cars made for this seem at least to have to have fuel type detectors and adjust the engine for it to work optimally. Seems those claiming equal mpg are saying the high octane and more advance makes up for the lower BTU content.

Whatever premium fuel with it's "lower energy" doesn't hurt my mileage a bit. And I will try to stick to Shell gas more, since it is the only top tier readily available here.

Beyond that I may start trying to measure my ethanol content. Forgot how, but someplace on the web explains how to do this. I wish the signs would tell us what we're getting. "Up to 10%" might be a harmless 3% at some stations or a full 10% dose at others?

So now I must just wait for another bad tank of fuel to try to figure this out more.

Meanwhile maybe we can get Toyota to give us new firmware to handle Ethanol better?
    Looks like the current 10% is just the barn door opening a crack!

I see talk of 20% Ethanol requirements for Minnesota fuels by 2013. And seems like there's a push to go to 30% ethanol nationwide for everyone's gas vehicle:

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jul2006/2006-07-07-01.asp