1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Octane western fuel /mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by icarus, Jun 2, 2008.

1. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is an interesting note. After driving across Montana many times over the years, I realized a few years back that their "regular" gas was as low as 83 octane. For the longest time I spend the extra $ and bought the mid grade that was 87 on the theory that it was better.

I realized that after several trips lately, buying the 83 resulted in DRAMATICLLY better mileage. This in spite of the fact that in Montana you are dealing with higher elevations, mountain passes etc. I chalk this up to the fact that lower octane fuel has MORE btu's per given volume than higher octanes.

I would like to hear other peoples opinion.

Icarus

2. prius729

prius729 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    83? Man, the lowest octane I've seen was 85.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Absolutely correct! In fact, I've been thinking about an endurance test and I would like to get some 'high plains', 83 octane, non-ethanol gas in some 10 gallon containers and bring them back to Huntsville. Although I'd like to run my endurance test at high altitude, my wife would prefer me to be 'home' instead of driving circles out west.

Bob Wilson

4. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Very interesting.

I've read here that higher octane can lower your MPG, but I'd never have thought that lower octane can INCREASE your MPG !!

So where do I buy "octane reducer" ? Can I sell some octane to sports car drivers and plane pilots ? :)

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't know where you got your information.

Here is what the Montana Dept. of Weights and Measures says.

"While the minimum antiknock rating in Montana is 85.5 for regular unleaded fuel, that is not necessarily what is found. Due primarily to competition and/or multiple suppliers of refined products, regular unleaded gasoline found in Western and Northeastern Montana usually has an octane rating of around 87.0. Central and Southern Montana's fuel octane rating is generally found to be between 85.5 and 86.0 ".

Their site is: Montana DLI - Weights and Measures

6. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thought 87 was the lowest anywhere!

7. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've lived in Montana almost my entire life (age 58) and cannot recall ever seeing 83 octane gas offered for sale. 85.5 is the lowest I've seen, and that is very infrequent. Most stations have 87 as "regular". Where did you find 83 octane gas???

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    nope...high altitudes need lower... 85 is available

9. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To all the sharp knifes in the drawer.

I think I had a senior moment. I believe Dave is right and that the lowest octane is ~85 in Montana NOT 83 as I stated earlier....My bad, my bad memory.

My statement is still correct, that I get much better mileage with the LOWER octane. Most "regular" around the country is ~ 87. Montana tends to be ~85.

Sorry for creating such a negative buzz.

Icarus

Ps. Traveling most of the east/west corridors, HWY 2 HWY 200 HWY12 I90-94. I have seen it all over the place. If latest faulty memory serves I've seen it as much at Cenex co-ops as often as not, but not only there.

10. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wonder if it is really low octane or the lack of ethanol that makes your mileage better?

Evidently E-10 is not yet required in Montana, though it is available in some areas.

11. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm in Denver and I buy 85, nothing else. I've never seen 83 in MT. I get regular when I'm up there, but I don't remember if I was getting 86 or 87.

12. COMP

COMP New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    same here