1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low on gas...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CheapA55, Jun 15, 2009.

1. CheapA55

CheapA55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    So I am driving home about 10am in Saturday morning rush hour. I am going about 70 in the 3rd lane from the left(6 lanes w/carpool).

All of a sudden the big exclamation light, check engine light and half of my navi picture is cut off.

I RAN OUT OF GAS!!

I thought i had a good 50 miles left, not knowing my wife took the car out the night before.

So i click my emergency lights on and move over to the "slow" lane going about 50 for about 1/3 a mile. I finally exited, paused at the stop sign and used the electric motor to the gas station off the exit.

I love my electric motor...lol

2. Gord

Gord New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Woah, you got it lucky there then dude!

The closest I've ever came to that was when the low fuel light was on for 15 minutes (non hybrid car) then pulled into the gas station. And with the engine still running while I was rummaging around looking for my debit card the engine gave out and I ran out of fuel. I was thanking my lucky stars at that point!

3. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Dude, was the last bar on the fuel gauge blinking?

It's often been said that if that last sucker is blinking GET GAS NOW. As in RIGHT FREAKING NOW. As in don't try to make it home or to work, but, you see that gas station right there? GO THERE NOW. GET GAS NOW. DO IT NOW.

Next time you see that light blink, FIND GAS AS IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. If you had to run much further on the battery, you could risk damaging it. Running out of gas in a fuel injected car can also DESTROY your fuel pump.

Running out of gas is not a laughing matter.

I hope nothing was damaged.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There could be a moral behind this story. When the gas gauge says to get gas, get gas, never mind what you think.

Tom

5. CheapA55

CheapA55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    yea, i was going to get gas, i was only 1 more exit away from my house...