1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low tire press caused my steering issue.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by drifty1955, Sep 24, 2007.

1. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

Yes I know.... I feel stupid now. :blink: Thanks to alot of people especially "Sarge" who clearly nailed it for me. My 07 since new has had a strange steering issue. It took constant non stop input to keep the car on the road. Very subtle but there. My tires did not look low at all but I checked them as rec. (had lost my gauge..bought 2 new) and they were at 28 pounds exactly front & rear. Yikes! :eek: Put them 40/38 to experiment and my steering issue vanished. The harsher ride is really not that bad at all. Did the dealer put the tires there to increase the ride comfort? I would have checked them first but they did not look low at all. Thanks again everyone.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Holy cow, wait until you see what your MPG does! I had one tire get low from a puncture and could tell that the car wasn't rolling as well and had a noticable drop in FE...all 4 low...egads, I think I'd be apoplectic.

3. cubbyg

cubbyg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    HAPPY COASTING. Some have even put greater pressures in their tires.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another demonstration of the importance of checking tire pressures regularly, either once a month or whenever the average outdoor temperature changes more than about 10'C/20'F. And especially, right after having some work done on the car :_>

5. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My steering has been feeling sluggish and sticky lately but the tire pressure is fine (42/40). Are there other common causes of this besides tire pressure?