1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Tire Pressure On, but tires are properly inflated

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by oliveros321, Dec 10, 2011.

1. oliveros321

oliveros321 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all...

Is there a quick way (a visual or an error code) to find out what's wrong with my 'low tire pressure' indicator?

I've recently changed my tires from stock to winter tires (Michelin X-Ice) and my 'low tire pressure' indicator light comes on the moment I start driving.

My Michelin winter tires came with TPMS. Could it be that the tire shop I got the tires changed didn't reset/configured the TPMS setting on the car computer?

Greatly appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you look under the steering column you will notice a couple buttons. One is for the door fob and the other one is for reset of the TPMS. If you go to the same tire pressure you had with your summer tires it should re-set itself? Hal

3. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The TPMS for the new tires must be configured for the car. I don't know if it has to be done using Toyota's Techstream of if any tire shop can do it.

4. oliveros321

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wealth of info... Thanks guys. I'll follow both to get my low-tire pressure indicator issue resolved. Cheers.

5. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As another poster said, if the TPMS IDs on the new wheels aren't programmed into the car, the light will flash for about 60 seconds, then stay on solid (this is how you can identify it's an issue with the TPMS as opposed to low pressure). Some tire shops have compatible tools to do the updates, and others do not. Most dealers will probably want to charge $50 to do it, assuming they don't do it as a courtesy the first time. Each time you swap, you'll have to get the IDs updated into the computer, as you can only store one set at a time. Make sure you have the original IDs written/typed down and save it. There's also tools you can buy to update them yourself.

If it's different TPMS, then the new IDs need programmed into the ECU. Once that's done, the tires should be set to the pressure the user desires, then you hold the reset button while the light flashes slowly three times. This will program the new pressures for each ID into the ECU.

6. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All the above is correct. Two things though:

It's a good idea to personally keep a record of all your sensors' IDs. Not every shop or dealership will have a tool to read sensor IDs, and if they don't, they will have to dis-assemble your wheel to read the code stamped on the sensor. Just something to be aware of, going in.

Don't press your TPMS reset button until the new IDs are recorded into your vehicle's computer. If you do, your car will "listen" for the sensors that are on your summer wheels, and if they are not near your car, your system will set an "initialization incomplete" code (C2177). This is easily cleared with a scan tool, but could confuse a technician who isn't familiar with Toyota TPMS.

Here is a good reference:

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~nash/TCH/TPMS.pdf

7. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good advice on keeping the IDs. I know when I got mine from TireRack for my winter tires, they gave me stickers on a piece of paper with them. Very easy and convenient.

I keep a text file on my computer with the IDs listed. I also keep a printed copy in the glove box.

If anyone goes to the dealer to get winter tire TPMS programmed into their car, ask them for a before & after print out of the IDs. That way you'll have a hard copy with the information on it that you can record and save.

8. oliveros321

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Awesome! Thanks guys.

9. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is there any difference in the Prius when it comes to a system error code verses actual low pressure? So for example...I found in my Titan that if my light came on followed by a solid tone...it was a actual low pressure warning. However if the light only came on with no tone...it was always a sensor failure (apparently communication failure) and needed to be reset (by ignition restart), but the tires were fine.