1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

lower glove box scratch

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tecmo04, Mar 13, 2010.

1. tecmo04

tecmo04 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    so the girlfriend is getting in the car today and wam, the front of her briefcase with a million zippers hits the lower glove box. now im left with a few mile long scratches on the lower box. i tried rubbing them out with some cleaners and other stuff but nothing. I know that plastic is soft but i expected it to be a little better than this.

anyone have scratches?
    how did you fix them?
    Anyone price out a new lower glove box?

what should i do???

2. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    Get a new girlfriend! Preferably one who carries all of her possesions in a folded scarf.

3. tecmo04

tecmo04 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    pictures of the problem at hand...

Attached Files:

4. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jeez. Looks like a cat got loose in there. I agree with Joe the girlfriend needs to be smacked around for that.

5. blueumbrella

blueumbrella Member of Prius Regeneration

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually think this an excellent opportunity for someone to develop a product which hides these kind of scratches. Because the plastic is very soft, it scratches easily and shows the scratches.

Try some lemon oil, or something similar which will act to fill them and make them much less visible.

6. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You're lucky that she's your girlfriend and not your wife, because at least now you're not expected to fix it, "honey." And, she may feel sorry for doing it!

Seriously, would a Magic Eraser work? You may not be able to get the scratch out, but if you make the edges less severe, it won't be as noticeable.

Or, you might wish to try a plastic "polish," like Megiuar's, which might be mildly abrasive. Then something to protect and give a little shine, like 303 Aerospace protectant could help even out the sheen.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

7. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Ya,It looks like it's been goin on a long time!! Try a heat gun I have worked wonders with them!! If not order a new one at the dealer the next time your there!! Good luck.

8. tecmo04

tecmo04 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    called the dealer and the new glove box costs $330 plus installation:(. Unfortunately i do not have that kind of cash to waste so im going the old fashion elbow grease route. if anything works ill post a few more pics.

9. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How much without installation ? I took out mine in my camry awhile back. It is fairly easy to put in yourself. They may sell the item cheaper on the Internet.

10. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He said 330 Plus installation.

11. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've also used a heat gun to "heal" (remelt) scratches in car plastic. The scratches do look better but the surrounding plastic may change color a bit, leaving a bigger problem area. The process requires some practice. Try this on a normally hidden area first.

12. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is this scratch really such a big deal? Have you tried anything on it yet? Something like a Chore Boy plastic scouring pad, very carefully used, followed by others' previous suggestions, should ameliorate the scratch.

What will you do when you get your first door ding!?

13. Carnutt

Carnutt Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow, I feel your pain. I would not use any abraisives that are made for paint. They'll only make it worse. An art store may have color pencils that could fill in the scratches but I suspect anything would be a poor fix and you'll need to bite-the-bullet and replace the glove box door. See if the dealer has any other suggestions.

(At the very least she owes you, um....some extra deed(s) of kindness ;).)

14. LeeB

LeeB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It would be if it were my car (and I suspect it is to the OP).

I'd first take the car to an auto upholstery shop. The surface of the glove box (and other parts of the instrument panel) have a textured pattern. An auto interior shop may be able to reheat the plastic with a tool that mimics the Prius pattern.

Failing that, I'd get some wettable sandpaper and gently go over the scratch, trying to eliminate the worst of the abrasion without damaging the surface texture.

15. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i had a small one on my top glove box, i used a cloth and turtle waxes version of armur all, and used my fingernail behind the cloth to scrap away the plastic thats damaged.

I really can't think of a good way to say what i did, but i scraped the loose plastic, and now you can't really see the scratch unless you look hard.

16. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    330 for the piece of crap? They are having a laugh seriously. All these Car manufactures are having a laugh. That crap doesn't cost even $10 to make.

Anyway don't feel bad I have a few there too. But never have pay someone to install that thing for you because it is so easy you can do it yoruself. Just pull and the glove box will come out.

Again the scratch won't go away but it is not that bad. Now I have banned my wife to put anything infront of the car.

17. tecmo04

tecmo04 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    at this point ive been lazy and its been cold but when the weather warms up i plan on sitting in the car for a few and trying a bunch of the options suggested.

ill post more updates if anything makes it better!