1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lower Premium: Volkswagen hopes to eclipse Toyota pricing in several years

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Apr 18, 2007.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. ari14850

ari14850 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Apr 18 2007, 02:01 AM) [snapback]425184[/snapback]</div> wow, their goal is to charge MORE than for toyotas. If they keep up their terrible service records (see recent consumer reports auto issues) THAT will be a real bargain. ;)

Speaking of bargains, my first car was a VW bus with a 36hp beetle engine in it. It spewed so much stuff going up a hill, I'm going to have to drive a Prius the rest of my life to make up for it!

What VW should be doing is taking a page from the toyota playbook. How about a hybrid vw camper bus with pop-top! Now THAT would sell!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At the rate Toyota Canada is going, VW Canada will have a tough job lol. Toyota's pricing in Canada has gone up quite a bit (The Camry XLE V6 is more expensive than an IS250!)

The Rabbit up here starts at just under $20k for the 3-dr manual and tops out and just over $25k for a 5-dr auto. Not a bad deal considering a loaded Corolla LE or Mazda3 or Matrix XR is around $25k. A base Acura CSX starts at $26k. Base Camry here is $26k.

I remember when VW actually had "premium pricing" because back in 2001 when my friend was looking for a car, he was looking at the VW Jetta. A loaded Jetta GLX VR6 cost nearly $37k. At that time, the 01 Camry XLE topped out at $33k and the Accord EX-V6 at $31k. At that time, a "loaded" Corolla LE was $23k