1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lower Rear Glass Replacement - My experience so far

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CookieGuru, Aug 13, 2012.

1. CookieGuru

CookieGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So I did something really stupid which created a large hole in the lower rear glass (the 6" or so tall piece of glass on the rear hatch). I'm sharing my experience replacing it in case it comes in handy for someone in the future. I'm in North Seattle, so YMMV on the shops available to you.

There are a few auto glass places around here and all do online quotes.

First stop was Safelite. Their progress meter on the get a quote flow is broken; it always shows step 1 and I thought there'd be another place for me to put in notes where I can say "I don't need the big glass, just the small piece". Before I could put that in I got a reference number. Called up the 800 number with the ref number to make an amendment to ensure that my quote was correct. Rep pulled it up and gave me a local number so I could call the shop directly. Despite being a local number, it rings their call center. The next rep couldn't pull up my number and after trying a few things, tried to connect me to my local shop. While on hold, my cheek accidentally disconnected the call (damn smartphones!). My fault. Called back, went through the same thing, finally got through to someone. No aftermarket glass makers make this piece of glass, so they'd have to order it from a dealer. Was promised a call back, which came within a half hour. More below.

While on hold with Safelite, I filled out Allstar's form. They actually have a "special instructions" field where I explained which piece I needed. Got an email reply in less than 10 minutes 10 telling me that this is a dealer item and they wanted my VIN number. Gave them that, and less than 10 minutes later got a reply back with a quote of $368.60 plus tax (part and labor).

Next on the list was Speedy Glass. Website gave an instant quote but that was presumably for the larger piece. Called them and was informed they wouldn't replace that piece.

Safelite called me back. They wanted over $400. By this time, Allstar had already emailed me their quote, so I asked Safelite if they could meet the price. Apparently the dealer they called wanted $380 for the part. I don't blame them for not wanting to lose money on a job, so I declined.

Next I checked with Toyota of Seattle (Downtown/SLU). Price was $330 for the part. (I think I know where Allstar is getting the part. Safelite probably called the Lake City dealer--which is closer to them; I will not take my car to the Lake City dealer despite it being closer than Downtown.) Toyota of Seattle would not do installation and said they'd just contract it out to some place, and the parts guy had no idea on pricing, and I doubt they'd be able to do it for less than $30.

Emailed Allstar requesting an appointment. They wanted a credit card number to order the part. I don't blame them; if they just ordered it and canceled, they'd have a part on hand and nobody to sell it to. Gave them the info and was informed the part would be in tomorrow or the next day and that I'll get a call.

I'lll post an update when I know more.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. CookieGuru

CookieGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Because I don't want to have a duct taped window for a week while I wait for a part to come in. The nearest junkyard that has a Prius on the lot is 50 miles away and I don't know if I trust them to properly remove it without damaging the heating elements.

Also, getting shops to install a used part that you bring in yourself is often harder than it needs to be.

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess it all depends on how easy the install is? Maybe it's not that hard to DIY? Maybe it is? That's what myself and likely others are most interested in.

5. CookieGuru

CookieGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Glass installation is no small task. Watch this to get an idea on the complexity and see page WS-81 of the Prius service manual for the full instructions.

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea, many glass installers charge huge amounts because they insist on replacing the window seal... But I know a glass store that's so skilled they can use the old seal. Had an old Subaru seal they reused three times! Half the price of any other window installer because of it!

7. CookieGuru

CookieGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The service manual makes no mention of any seals. Allstar must be getting the glass from a different dealer because otherwise they'd only be getting $38.

8. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's not going to happen on my 78' Subaru. Good thing I have a brand new seal waiting for when that time comes.

PriusCamper likes this.
  9. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Most modern cars not use window seals. All star will get the glass at a wholesale price and make more than $38.

10. CookieGuru

CookieGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Got a call at 10am this morning saying the glass was in and I scheduled an appointment for 11. Dropped it off and was told to expect 1-2 hours. Got a call at 11:45 and was told it would be ready at 12:30. At 12:30 it was done and waiting.

The invoice lists the glass at $298.60. Labor was $50, and $5 each for four units of adhesive. The invoice lists Toyota of Seattle along with the phone number for the parts department.

Overall I'm satisfied with the parts and service, just dissatisfied for the money I had to shell out for my own stupidity. Hope this helps someone in the future that may find themselves in this predicament.

PriusCamper likes this.