1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

lower rear window tint

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by sanguis, Jun 8, 2005.

1. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I"m about to get my car tinted; the shop said the lower back window was plastic and could not be tinted. Did anyone get this tinted? If not, since it is already a little darker than the other windows, is it noticeable anyway?

I opened up the repair manual and it seems to refer to this as 'back window fix glass!' So now I'm still confused if its glass or plastic? When I knock on it it seems like plastic... hmm great repair manual :roll:

2. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sanguis\";p=\"96810)</div>
    sanguis,

I replied to a similar post on PriusOnline.

Tell the installer, they are wrong about the smaller glass. The side door windows and the front triangles are stickered...

"TOYOTA TEMPERLITE"

and the small hatch window is stickered "TOYOTA TEMPERLITE" so there should be no problem.

The back triangles are sitckered "TOYOTA DOT 23"

The large liftback window is stickered "TOYOTA TEMPERLITE-T"

Could be the installer has a concern about the window pattern, but if they are doing the little tringles in the front they shouldn't have a concern with the little hatchback window.

3. Greyskye

Greyskye New Member

I had the 'back 5' windows tinted - not including the lower already tinted window. It matches my tinting almost perfectly - I had the tint which is one step lighter than "Limo Dark".

I would suggest not doing it now; you can always get it done later if you feel that it's necessary.

4. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

I've had all back six windows tinted. Originally the guy didn't tint the lower window and from the outside, you really couldn't tell - but, as soon as you got into the drivers seat YOU NOTICED. The factory tint on the lower rear window was substantially less then the tint I had isntalled (20%). When you were inside the car, the difference in tint was obvious. During the day, the lower rear window almost glowed as compared to the upper window. I found this incredibly distracting as my eyes were always drawn to the lighter lower window. This was also true at night.

Ultimately I went back to the guy and he tinted the lwoer window for an extra $20.

I believe he used a 35% for the lwoer window. This coupled wsith the factory tint made the lwoer window almsot identical to the other back windows.

Winston Wolf likes this.
  5. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, I just got back, I didn't have them do that back window. It is about the same darkness as the 38% tint I got on the rest of the windows. I did notice the color/hues are slightly different: factory tint is more red looking whereas I chose a gray tint.. I think I can live with the difference :)

6. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I just got my tint estimate yesterday from one of the best tint shops in town. I was told that the rear lower window is plastic and cannot be tinted.

7. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had all windows tinted except my windshield. I did not plan on having the little slit tinted but they did it anyways so it is probably much darker than the 35% huber optik. Then again I hear that the windows are 88% normally so not sure what my 35% is now. Probably around 25-30%.

For an official answer contact Toyota dealer's service dept. Being plastic/plexiglass should not matter as long as it is stiff the adhesive will stick to it.

8. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catsbox\";p=\"99298)</div>

I seriously doubt that plastic would hold up to defogger temperatures. NOTE there are defogger lines in the GLASS!

The quote below is directly from the manufacturer and owner of the TEMPERLITE registered branding.

Asahi India

Tempered Automotive Glass : TEMPERLITE-LT - This is the registered brand of Asahi India’s fully tempered safety glass for use as side and back glass.

This site listed below shows the business workings of Asahi India

Asahi India Business Line

Asahi manufactures two types of automotive safety glass – laminated and tempered. Laminated windshields have high resistance to penetration, thus ensuring safety. Their distinct advantage lies in the fact that it suffers localized breakage at the point of impact without hampering visibility. Laminated windshield does not break spontaneously and, thus, the chances of injury are minimized. Tempered safety glass has high tensile stress, which enables it to withstand stress, vibrations and thermal shock better than ordinary glass. Asahi’s present product range includes laminated windscreens, full tempered glass, zone tempered glass, silver printed defogger glass and black ceramic printed flush fitting glass. The product range is available under the brand names of Lamisafe (laminated windshield), Temperlite (tempered safety glass), Zonelite (centrally tempered glass) and Heatlite (electrically heated glass).

Follow the thread I started on the Tintdude Forum

Prius small Hatchback Window?

Is the Prius small Hatchback Window Glass???

According to the research I've read..... answer = YES

9. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that why some rear window tints are puple and bubbling due to the defogger lines?

10. HYACK

HYACK New Member

I'm planning to get tinting on rear sides and rear window later this week.

Call me a dummy but I guess I need some basic input still, before going ahead with it:

1) In my state, 35% is the max. The tint i've selected is supposedly 35%. But, does this mean then that Toyota's glass @ 88% plus the desired tint @ 35% will put me at under 35% when combined = illegal?

2)The tint selected is a specialty tint - slightly silver, reflective. IMO, will this clash with Toyota's 88% factory tint? hmmm, i'm having to rethink this one.

Thanks a million for any heads-up~

11. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    IMHO, a decent tint shop should be well aware of what tint applied to what glass is legal. If the first one you pick can't tell you what they can do, move on to another...

12. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

Here's an answer.

HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN MASSACHUSETTS?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Massachusetts, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield - - - - - -Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
    Front Side Windows - -Must allow more than 35% of light in.
    Back Side Windows - - Must allow more than 35% of light in.
    Rear Window - - - - - Must allow more than 35% of light in.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN MASSACHUSETTS?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows - - -Must not be more than 35% reflective.
    Back Side Windows - - - Must not be more than 35% reflective.

OTHER MASSACHUSETTS RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors - - - -No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
    Side Mirrors - - - - - - Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
    Certificate Requirements-Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
    Sticker Requirements - - State law recommends but does not require stickers to identify legal tinting.
    Medical Exemption - - - -State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    It also depends on how aggressive your local police departments and highway patrol enforce the tint laws. Do they carry tint meters in their vehicles to check tinted windows?

It also depends on whether you want to be legal vs illegal and take a shot at ever being checked for tint.

One big decision is does you state have annual or biannual vehicle inspections where they might enforce tint laws.

13. MHR

MHR New Member

I had my lower rear window (and like others have said - it IS glass). I also choose to go with an "illegal" (black out) limo tint on both rear glass and 2-rear (small triangle + rear) windows done in limo as well. The sides on the front are 35%, although it is very dark at night - (but looks quite cool on a black Prius) in the bright sun in Colorado during the day it works well. From the inside you can see out just fine and kinda cool that it is very difficult to see in. I hope I don't get stopped for it but I will take my chances. I think our friends in Blue (and I have several family members in the Law enforcement business) have better things to do then stop a Toyota Prius Hybrid car for tint that is too dark. I also have in the back of the vehicle (several times/week) one of 3-bikes that are $10,000+ items each as an Ironman triathlete they are tools of my passion and I worry about these toys when they are in my car and don't want others to notice them.