1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lower Trim on Windshield Slipped Off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by montenido, Jan 24, 2008.

1. montenido

montenido A 2 Prius household

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    all. I was looking at my front hood today in the rain and noticed a space between the bottom of the windshield and the black plastic grill (air intake?). Looking at the front of the car (from the outside) it was on the left side. I hit a good-sized bird last night and maybe that knocked the plastic grill downward. There is certainly not much of an overlap between the bottom edge of the glass and the rubber lip. I was able to kind of push it back up, but I don't know if it will stay. This is the area where you can uncover your VIN under the hood. There is some sort of water catch basin behind the VIN door and I had several cups of water sitting in there. I got it all out and none seems to have made it where it shouldn't have, so maybe it is still weather tight, even with the bottom edge of the windshield exposed.
    Has anybody else encountered this problem? BTW, I am waiting for my stiffening plate arrive. Should be any day now.

I love this site

2. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just had mine off to clean underneath since there are drain holes that get clogged up. There are clips/flanges that the windshield fits into on the windshield side and clips that snap in to the car on the front side of the cowling. Just be careful if you remove it to refit it since the rubber gasket is one piece and the cowling is two separate pieces. The rubber could tear. You also have to remove the two windshield wipers (14mm nuts). Just look (or put a piece of tape) at where they sit on your windshield before you can them off so you have an idea where to reinstall them. The windshield is water tight whether that cowling is on or not, but it does protect the fan blower intake from water.

3. montenido

montenido A 2 Prius household

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks, KOA. That helps a lot.

montenido

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Search the site some more. Someone once posted very thorough illustrated instructions on how to remove the cowl to clean out the water drains.

5. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Senior Fjord Architect

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hobbit has these instructions up to explain how to install an EBH from the top without putting the car on ramps.

Prius heat-efficiency mods

The first part of the page is relevant to this thread, in how to take the wipers off and how to remove and replace the cowl.