1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lowering Questions

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by navyjoe1987, Jan 11, 2014.

1. navyjoe1987

navyjoe1987 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius C is my first car and I've never done any mods prior so I have a few questions.

Would I be able to lower the Prius C myself or should I take it in somewhere? Im looking to lower the car about 1.25" and I've seen a few springs online. Should I replace the shocks as well? Also, how can I reset the camber, I want my wheels to be straight?

I plan on keeping the 15" rims or getting 16". I see some people get wider wheels, what is the advantage?

Thanks for the help, as much information you can give the better, Thanks. I am a complete beginner but can learn pretty quickly. I'm just worried I will make my car unsafe/break something. I would really like to learn to do some of the mods myself because I enjoy the hard work and payoff.

I was looking at these:
    Eibach ProKit springs - YARIS

2. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    1) you can lower the car yourself if you feel competent. It's not an extremely difficult task but also not for novices. Shops usually charge around 150 for doing springs.

2) You can get adjustable camber bolts for the front to adjust the camber to your liking. An alignment shop can do that for you.

3) The typical advantage of getting bigger/wider wheels is for tire selection and added width.

3. CraigB

CraigB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just don't let the damn thing recoil (10:26) in your face and end up DOA, lol. If you do your own work I'd recommend a spotter so if things go south you have someone watching your back.

B2FiNiTY likes this.
  4. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ^ definitely. Whenever, I have to lift the car and get under it, I always feel safer with a buddy to help out.

ztanos likes this.
  5. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Lowering using Yaris kits work very well as long as you limit drop to about an inch. Eibach makes good stuff. You can do the change yourself if you are a competent mechanic but not if you aren't. Compressing the spring to remove and replace is a very careful procedure and dangerous if it slips free from the holder. You can rent the compressor reasonably. And you can watch videos on utube too, even for the Yaris. Make sure you do the alignment afterward !
    Wider wheels are great benefit in allowing wider high performance tires. When combined with de-activation of the front anti-sway bar will enhance handling by reducing understeer. For incresing mpg where narrower tires are preferred, wider wheels aren't that useful. If you do choose wider tires make sure you don't inrease the diagram of the tire over OEM so not to hurt mpg. s the tire weight increases the diameter shoulder decrease slightly, but not directly. New wheels with offsets from 40 to 45 mm and rim width to 6 inches work well with light weightpreferred though not as important as low weight for tires. BTW rim widths to 7 inches are not useful because the tire width increases drastically the tire weight.
    Our recommended combination is 15x6 wheels with 40mm offset and 195/55x15 tires or 16x6/40 wheels with 195/50x16 tires. With the tires a good high performance all weather tirewhich you can investigate with Tirerack.com.
    good luck.

6. navyjoe1987

navyjoe1987 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'm going to research what I want and take it to a shop. That video is crazy btw.