1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lowering Suspension

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TJU2, Dec 27, 2006.

1. TJU2

TJU2 Junior Member

I want to lower my Prius. I checked into the JDM products by TRD and others. They are very expensive. I just found that Intrax offers a coil spring set that is about $200. Not a bad price, but the description says "The Stiffest And Lowest Springs Available For The Street".

Anyone with personal experience on the ride?

2. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJU2 @ Dec 27 2006, 06:22 PM) [snapback]367419[/snapback]</div>
    Well I no experience with this product; however, with other lowering springs and from past experience, usually just replacing factory springs with a lowering spring that is stiff and shorter, typically results in a car that "bounces" as it goes down the road. Think low-rider-(no offense).

The best solution when you wish to lower your car, and I did lower mine with the TRD system, is to replace springs and struts with a strut designed to work with the spring. The best system is actually a coil-over kit that allows infinite adjustability - I have used this system on some cars I have had and it provided the absolute best results giving me the lowered height I was seeking as well as a terrific ride. The drawback is they are expensive, $3K usually. The TRD stuff is a little pricey granted -however the end result is a car that rides nice and does not bounce.

Good luck.

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJU2 @ Dec 27 2006, 06:22 PM) [snapback]367419[/snapback]</div>
    No, but I know of a good dentist...for when the suspension knocks the fillings out of your teeth!
    [laughing]

I think the TRD springs/shocks/struts (or perhaps the Modellista springs, sold through Sigma Automotive; contact Edward) are about as stiff as I'd want to go. And ride-height wise, the front end is kinda low to begin with, isn't it? In my '06 with the TRD, I grit my teeth whenever I pull into a steep driveway.

I don't believe that stiff/low ride height=good handling. You need a certain amount of compliance in the suspension, especially in a street car...and the stiff suspension will probably just bring out other areas of weakness in the chassis. By going to an extremely low ride height, you're reducing the suspension travel, which in extreme cases can be problematic (hitting the bump stops in a corner will, as I'm sure you know, drastically change the handling characteristics of the car).

Also, the CV joint angles and this sort of driveline geometry will also be effected, which may (or may not, depends on how much of a rebel you're feeling like) reduce their service life.

But, honestly, most of this is speculation.

4. DaveLadely

DaveLadely Junior Member

Since the Intrax springs are progressive, that would help the ride significantly and would also help cornering. Since they are progressive, they are relatively flexible when not being pushed, so the ride is almost as smooth as stock, but when pushed, they push back, more than stock springs, which does stiffen the ride, but it is more controlled and is LESS likely to bottom out. When cornering, the inside spring is progressively resisting, which has the effect of limiting the lean considerably.
    Yes, there would be a "bounce" unless the struts were fast acting type (gas), so stock shocks have to be replaced. I had these on a different car and it really improved the handling without really affecting the ride very much; I prefer a more controlled ride, which this does provide, but without making the ride harsh.
    They do lower the car, which improves mileage a bit. I am not sure if the lowering would be excessive. I believe its about an inch in front and almost two inches at the rear.

5. prius70

prius70 Junior Member

are the intrax springs available now?

last i checked a few months ago. . .they were advertised by a bunch of people for 200 bucks but never produced by the manufacturer. . .

i went with the blitz springs. . .you can look at posts under my user name if interested. . .

good luck. . .

6. biggus

biggus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius