1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lowest Gas Mileage ever!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by marjam, Jul 19, 2006.

1. marjam

marjam Member

I didn't think the Prius could do it During the 100 degree weather in Silver Spring I have been working in a poorly air conditioned building. I go out several times a day and sit in the car and use the A/C to cool off. With only 15 miles on a new tank of gas the MPG read 16.3! Driving later that evening it quickly rose to the low thirties. I thought I would never see it that low!

Ok, I will go back on my meds now. :blink:

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep, this would certainly fall under the category of, "What not to do to achieve great MPG."

3. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I ended up in stop-n-go Chicagoland traffic a couple times this summer. Even with the AC running at a fairly low setting, after a while, the battery gets down to purple bars and then the engine starts and stops and starts and stops... It's a freaky bad situation. I wonder why they didn't have the engine turn on for a longer period, run at an optimal charging rpm, then turn off for a longer period.

On a couple of the recently super hot days here in Chicagoland, I ran the AC on full blast for a few minutes toward the beginning of my commute... that really does put a dent in the mpg readings. My comfort is more important than saving the planet, so I just let it consume the fuel.

4. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jul 19 2006, 08:42 AM) [snapback]288620[/snapback]</div>
    LOL, last night I sat in my garage trying to add my contacts to the phone book and the the same thing happened, the first few times it startled me something fierce, then I got used to it, ... never did get the phone book in but that's another thread.

I was working on a high tank for these hills too! :(

5. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I'm getting my worst mileage lately too. I usually eat my lunch in the car, and even take a nap with the air on, which has been pulling my average down to ~45. :( Oh well, its still better than my old car, and much quieter for sleeping.

6. SAPrius

SAPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sleeping? Not while you're driving I hope! :)

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SAPrius @ Jul 19 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]288925[/snapback]</div>
    That is what Cruise Control is for, right? :D

8. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jul 19 2006, 06:42 AM) [snapback]288620[/snapback]</div>
    Hahaha, nice!! :lol:

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjam @ Jul 19 2006, 04:27 AM) [snapback]288588[/snapback]</div>
    I'd never tell you not to use the car to cool off. It actually sounds pretty clever. But I don't think you can really enter the "lowest mileage" contest based on having used the Prius as a stationary cooling-room. Also, anything less than a full tank should be disqualified. Hey, I've had 99.9 mpg tank average displayed: Fill the tank at a station near home after a long drive that left the SOC high, and then drive the half-mile home entirely in EV. That 99.9 doesn't count, and neither should your 16.3.

10. snowman83

snowman83 New Member

This heat has not been good for mileage.

I'm convinced the hot weather must lower MPG somewhat in itself. I never run the A/C higher than the notch below "Medium" and yet the last 2 tanks have averaged about 45 MPG (during the spring, I was averaging 50-51).

11. airpolgas

airpolgas New Member

All I keep thinking on my really low MPG tanks:

My worst tank is still better than my Explorer and Camry combined!!!

12. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 19 2006, 09:41 PM) [snapback]289098[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel,

I never intended to make it a contest. Just an observation. I have filled up at the beach and driven on level roads and kept the MPG in the high 80's for 20 or 30 miles. My point is that using the Prius as a cooling room still gives me better mileage that most cars on the road!

13. upland_bill

upland_bill New Member

I am in the same boat (and same area, DC), however, on my fillup today the computer was reading 50.5 for the current tankful but my calculations came out to 44 (http://www.wmrnet.com/prius.php). This is only the second time I've filled up when the car was telling I was low on gas. The first time the car took about 8.2 gallons. Today, it took a whooping 9.8! Also, this was the first time I've ever had the need for more than 9 gallons (previous high was 8.6) and I was immediately suspicious that the gas station was ripping me off.

It has been hot here, and the A/C has been on most of the time, but the trips have been the same as usual. Also, the prior tank had the A/C just as much, so I really at a loss to see why there would be a 6 MPG discrepancy between the computer and my calculations.

14. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airpolgas @ Jul 20 2006, 12:45 AM) [snapback]289225[/snapback]</div>
    AMEN!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(upland_bill @ Jul 20 2006, 08:08 AM) [snapback]289301[/snapback]</div>
    My high is 8.34 but at a gas station in Roseville, about 140 miles from SF. But I typically fill up at the same station, I seem to recall that being one factor in consistency of mpg. It is certainly not an exact science but I try to fill up between 2-4 bars left and that is a SF average of 6.14 gallons.

Today was a scorcher 75 F! LOL

15. sharkmeister

sharkmeister Junior Member

A bad situation is stop & go traffic while going uphill. At first it's no problem, but if it persists, you drain your battery going uphill and then the engine starts every time you need to inch forward.

Truly awful mileage... but still much better than the non-hybrids that don't turn the engine off at all.

16. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sharkmeister @ Jul 21 2006, 08:57 PM) [snapback]290260[/snapback]</div>
    Sharkmeister,

Yep I feel your pain! The only alternative is a bike, MUNI, or another route.

I tried the latter a few times, but it's kind of silly, if i really wanted to be a 'highmiler' I'd have to leave the city, and live someplace flat and spread out like San Jose.

I did a spiral route once to offset the endless stops and hills by picking up a few flats, and the mileage was really decent but silly for regular work days.

17. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My favorite 'worst gas mileage ever' story is still the one where a couple who had just bought a Prius got an average of 12.5 mpg over their first week of ownership.

When they took it in to the service department to complain, it was discovered that they had neglected to ever turn the ignition off for the entire period...

18. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    fill up n go up a steep hill, i bet u'll get even worse mileage, because ive done that, around 8-10mpg

19. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here's my worst.
    [attachmentid=4216]
    Stop (mostly) and go (a few feet) DOWNHILL, but you can see it was cold. The ICE never got the cat warm... overall though, still not too bad.

20. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 22 2006, 01:05 AM) [snapback]290362[/snapback]</div>
    that's something else Bill, what were you doing, delivering mail in the snow? :rolleyes: