1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LRR Tires - Measured Improvement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by enerjazz, Apr 26, 2012.

1. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's only 2 data points, but I'll eventually have a nice array of data on the effectiveness of LRR tires. I purchased my 2007 Prius used and the previous owner had put on new (but regular) tires. The Primewell 830's were not great, but I kept them for 2 years. I just upgraded to the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422. After just 2 tanks (not even broken in yet) I'm seeing a 4 mpg improvement (7.5%).

The chart below has 3 nodes - all driven by me with essentially the same route:
    2004 Prius with Goodyear Integrity LRR Tires (and Integrity replacement tires)
    2007 Prius – bought car used just after new Primewell 830 (non LRR) tires had been installed.
    2007 Prius LRR - I recently replaced the Primewell’s with Bridgestone Ecopia EP422.

Yes, it is just two data points, but at the same average temperature the two red squares are running well above the red diamonds. More data to come.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good results enerjazz. I recently got a set of the EP100's and immediately picked up another 1.5 to 2 MPG. And this was with already a fairly good set of LRR tires (Hankook k415's).

It will be interesting to see what it looks like after you gather a bit more data. :)

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The GY Integrity tires have low rolling resistance in warm weather, but not in cold weather. Real LRR tires (I have used Michelin MVX+ and Nokian WR/WRg2 see attachment) will show a marked improvement in MPG in cold weather (still lower in the winter) over the GY Integrity tires.

JeffD

Attached Files:

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Can we nominate this thread for the "Bob Wilson 2012 Graph Everything" award?

cwerdna and F8L like this.
  5. enerjazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can do Pivot Tables too. :)

6. enerjazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After 4 tanks, the LRR tires are still showing their value.
    [​IMG]

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for proving the data. We have seen dozens of posts using anecdotal experience to express the point you are trying to make but it is nice to have pretty graphs to show the data at work. :)

What I fins interesting is the degree of difference between tires labeled at LRR. We know that a LRR should be better than a non-LRR but there can be quite a difference even between tires labeled as such. The Continental ProContact with EcoPlus and the Energy Saver A/S is a prime example. Those two tires present a 3-4mpg difference yet both are labeled LRR. :)