1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LRRs and Winter tires

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by OutandAbout89, Jul 24, 2012.

1. OutandAbout89

OutandAbout89 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I don't actually own a Prius yet, see Shopping for a Prius c. Two, Three or Four? (I am brand new and not sure how to post links. I will do my research on how to do so.) My long term plan is to buy a PC without a wheel/tire upgrade. Swap the stock tires for winter tires. Michelin X-Ice is highly recommended here. Although Xi2 or Xi3, not sure what is more compatible with the stock 15" steel wheels. The original tire spec is 175/65R15.

From there buy a set of 16" alloy wheels and LRR tires. But are all alloy wheels created equally, as far as function? Are there brands anyone can recommend over others and not purely for style? Do dimensions of compatible wheels vary at all?

Now for LRRs. From member reviews to tire company user reviews, there a a few that stand out to me. I use Yokohama on my current car and love them. As a brand alone I like them, but I realize tire designs and quality vary within companies. That said, the Avid Ascend and the dB Super E-Spec seem great. Also the Michelin Energy Saver A/S is highly regarded as a mpg must. But I have a bit of an issue with performance reviews. And lastly the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422. Using the option upgrade of the PC4, the 16" alloys use a 195/65R16 tire. If I am to buy my own alloys, should I stick to this? I am looking to improve handling, as stated within many PC4 with wheel package reviews, and reduce reported road noise, an apparent drawback of the upgrade.

What LRRs are you using if not stock? What preferences over other brands brought you to this tire? How is the balance between performance and milage?

2. dellrio

dellrio Im pretty much awesome

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If you get aftermarket wheels and you do not want your performance or MPG to take a hit make sure to get wheels (rims/tires combined) that have a weight similar to the OEM wheels. Also going with a wider tire is good for performance but not necessarily good for MPG. Lastly you need to decide if you want to get a second set of TPMS's for the second set of wheels (about $400 extra in total) or if you want to drive around with the tire pressure light on all the time with those wheels on the car.

3. OutandAbout89

OutandAbout89 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A lot to consider. TPMS is really new to me and everything it may possibly hinder.

4. dellrio

dellrio Im pretty much awesome

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Basically you can get the Tire Pressure Sensors or not, if you do not get a second set and dont want the warning light on, you can swap them out every time you switch tires which means two sets of rims will need to be unmounted and remounted and balanced each time. Another option is to build a bypass, basically you take the TPMS's from the stock wheels, mount them all in a piece of PVC pipe about 1 foot long, with the valve stems all sticking out the side, then get PVC glue and glue and seal PVC end caps on both ends. Then use a compressor to fill the chamber you just built with 40PSI of air. Throw the chamber under a seat or in the trunk and you are good to go.